SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to take Netflix and Prime along.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to take Netflix and Prime along. Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
I am heading south for a month or 2. I will leave my smart TV here for the duration. When I get there we will have a digital TV, but I don’t think it is a smart tv with any apps. Is there anything I can hook to it to play my Netflix and Prime ? I have an old Raku and a blue ray.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Roku, Fire Stick, AppleTv- tons of options

Posts: 17899 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The ScreenBeam mini 2. It's my favorite gadget that I bought in 2019. No need to have it hooked up to a home network like you do for Chromecast, etc.

It allows you to cast your android phone to any tv with an hdmi port. I have an old "dumb" tv on the ship so this thing is perfect for me to watch my Netflix, Prime Video, whatever from my phone on my tv. I don't have wifi on the ship so something like this was a godsend. I love this thing.

Doesn't work with iPhones though.

Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver (SBWD60A01) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O..._apa_i_0ud4DbEHMPM36

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
You have a laptop with an HDMI point? (There are USB to HDMI adapters too if a native HDMI port is unavailable.) Pretty easy to just connect a laptop to a TV via a standard HDMI cable, change the source on the TV to the laptop, and play Netflix and/or Prime Movies through that connection. That's the simplest way I can think of to handle it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
That assumes he'll have WiFi where he's going and that the TV there is on the WiFi network. Need to check that ahead of time if taking a streaming device.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Grab a Firestick for Black friday?

Phone or Tablet? Phone/tablet USB to HDMI adapter?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
That assumes he'll have WiFi where he's going and that the TV there is on the WiFi network. Need to check that ahead of time if taking a streaming device.

Which is why the Screenbeam Mini2 is the perfect thing (if you have an android phone or tablet)

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

Which is why the Screenbeam Mini2 is the perfect thing (if you have an android phone or tablet)

Depending on how much data someone has. All cell plans are not unlimited. If your streaming through a phone and not on WIFI you are using cellular and data.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If you will have good internet I would pick up a Firestick. Amazon has or will have good deals on them.

There are other ways with a phone or laptop but a firestick is standalone and easy to setup and use.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The TV doesn't need to be on WiFi for a devices plugged into an HDMI port to work.

greco,

If you have WiFi available, I'd vote for an Amazon FireTV stick. The one I bought for $15 during last Prime Days works beautifully.

If you don't have WiFi available and have hotspot capability on your wireless plan, with plenty of bandwidth and a good enough wireless connection, you can use your mobile device for your WiFi connection.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The area I go to is still in the 1940s. No WiFi and my plan has 20g if data per Month. I can run through that in a day watching a movie.

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Can you get an Ipad before you go? You can load some movies & shows when you have good WiFi.

My sister even loads at Walmart.

Posts: 6172 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have an iPad. Looks like I’ll be downloading. Thank you everyone.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Bring headphones or at least some ear buds, you can drift off into fantasy land when the mood strikes.

I guess more so if other people are around, not needed otherwise.

Posts: 6172 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post