SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dead hornets - should I be worried?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dead hornets - should I be worried? Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
Over the past two weeks, I've come across two dead hornets (?). One in the basement, one behind the house. I messaged the image to a bee guy, thinking they were killer African bees, but he said they are 'hornets'. I've never noticed dead bees like this before. A major issue? Part of bee colony issues? Is hornet honey a sought-after commodity?

https://avatarhost.files.wordp...mer-dead-hornets.jpg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Hornets are not bees.... there is no honey in their hive.... these are just wasp... pretty much an entirely different insect....

there is a nest some where ... you don't need to worry about it unless you mess with it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Bees, are bees, not hornets or wasps or anything else.

Hornets are not bees. Wasps are not bees.

Bees make honey.

Wasps do not make honey.

Hornets do not make honey

Do not kill bees or damage or destroy bee hives that they create.

Contact a beekeeper to capture the queen and the swarm.

Contact a pest control company to deal with large hornet or wasp nests.

That is all.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Those appear to be Cicada killers. They are solitary wasps that burrow single underground chambers to insert a prey item along with an egg. They can obviously sting but rarely do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15588 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
You know what? That’s what I thought, based on internet images. Sphecius speciosus, often simply referred to as the cicada killer. I messaged my beekeeper buddy and he says hornet.

So they are not man-killers, and two dead wasps is not harbinger of total ecological collapse. Ok, back to Happy Days reruns . . .

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
Maybe show the images to your beekeeper friend Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15588 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bees make honey.

Not all bees make honey. Mason bees don't, but are great pollenators.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 83 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Bees are usually fuzzy, wasps/hornets are smooth.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16522 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Two is not a problem. The one in the basement could have gotten in through an opened door, and died. The outdoor one was where he/she belonged.

That said, you wouldn't want a nest of whatever these are in the basement, so I'd keep my eyes open down there and see if more show up. If so, probably time to call a pest control pro to 1) take them out and 2) find out how they are getting in (they aren't living on what they can scrounge in a basement) and block that up.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asking a beekeeper about hornets is like asking a gay guy about hot women - he may not have sufficient experience to provide any expert identification. Cool

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I find a few croaked wasps/hornets in the attic (Walkup) or garage every now and again,

I think they managed to get in, and starve or die from who knows what,

any that manage to make it in the actual house are immediately kilt by the cats,

unless you have a big nest in the area , no worries,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Beats having an Aunt infestation.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
That wasn't a mis-type, was it?

Posts: 9045 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well since everyone is displaying their knowledge of flying things I’ll join in with a fun fact I just learned in Costa Rica. There are honey wasps. They are wasps and they make honey. Costa Rican’s keep the hives to make honey mostly for medicinal purposes.

Now to the OP, you have an alien giant hornet killer hiding somewhere. I’d move or burn everything down.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
That wasn't a mis-type, was it?

Geico commercial

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16522 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Well since everyone is displaying their knowledge of flying things I’ll join in with a fun fact I just learned in Costa Rica. There are honey wasps. They are wasps and they make honey. Costa Rican’s keep the hives to make honey mostly for medicinal purposes. .

^^^^^^ You been watching Gordon Ramsay ? ^^^^^^^

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Well since everyone is displaying their knowledge of flying things I’ll join in with a fun fact I just learned in Costa Rica. There are honey wasps. They are wasps and they make honey. Costa Rican’s keep the hives to make honey mostly for medicinal purposes. .

^^^^^^ You been watching Gordon Ramsay ? ^^^^^^^

Nope. Not sure what he did regarding wasps. But apparently they are also considered a delicacy so I assume it was on a Gordon show?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...achygastra_mellifica

I was in Costa Rica for my honeymoon and saw the wasp hives on a tour of a family coffee farm.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gearhounds:
Those appear to be Cicada killers. They are solitary wasps that burrow single underground chambers to insert a prey item along with an egg. They can obviously sting but rarely do.

Yes, these are cicada killers. They are everywhere at my house due to a large cicada hatch last month in the surrounding woods. They have not proven in the least to be aggressive, unlike their red cousins. They're docile and have given me no problems at all.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasps love my house. I burn through 4-5 bottles of Wasp/Hornet Spray every year. I am damn lethal with the stuff - 1 MOA at 28 feet !!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:

Maybe its not what it seems; maybe they're hybridizing. Eek

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post