SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It is down to 2023 jeep wrangler, toyota 4runner, honda pilot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It is down to 2023 jeep wrangler, toyota 4runner, honda pilot Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
We purchased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon last year. We need something to tow behind our motorhome, something that we can use sight seeing off-road and also to load some items we need when we travel. Let me tell you, the seats are uncomfortable. Not great for long distance driving. But very easy to tow behind the motorhome. If I need a vehicle for something else, I will choose a 4Runner.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
These are curious and disparate choices. If off-road use is your intention, the Pilot is the least suited. It hasn't the suspension, ground clearance or the best type of 4wd (FWD with the rear axle coupling when wheel spin is detected, and no low range) for that. Wranglers, even newer ones with automatic transmissions and power everything, are miserable to drive long distances - noisy, rough-riding and squirrely. I don't think much of the reliability of it or any FCA/Stellantis product. (This comes from working on and driving them.) The 4Runner will be a lot more comfortable.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I owned a 4Runner for 17 years (2004) and it was bullet proof. I have a 4WD Sequoia and a Honda Ridgeline (basically a Pilot) now.

The new 4Runner is old, honestly not much different than my 2003. Nothing wrong with that but thats what you will get. In return you have proven reliability and longevity. My Honda Ridgeline (2022) is great. Comfortable, 9 speed trans, V6, decent mileage, AWD and a really nice ride. I spend a lot of time in the car during the week so for me the Honda makes more sense.

If I was looking to build out a rugged 4WD for off grid adventures then the 4Runner would be better. For everyday life the Ridgeline wins in my book.

JC

Posts: 1272 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just don't go after this one Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15345 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
3 totally different vehicles. like has been said what's your mission.

I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JLUR and love it. but I love jeeps and have had a few over the years. and its exactly what I wanted when I bought it and I still love it.

we also have a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD. family of 4. wife loves it. it's a great vehicle and has 220K+ miles now and we plan on going to 300K. it's a great daily driver, city driver and road tripper. but it's not a jeep by any means. even though it is a 4wd model. its Honda quality and reliability for sure. resale is much lower than a jeep wrangler or toyota 4runner.

4runner is the jeep and pilot put together. but it's not a jeep and it's not a pilot. jeep will be more capable off road, pilot more of a cruiser family hauler. the 4runner is almost as good as jeep off road and almost a great family hauler. rides better than a jeep but not as good as a pilot.

I'm a jeep guy and I will always pic the jeep first. but again, depends on your needs. off road a lot, want that top-down experience, a "cool" ride, excellent resale value (one of the best resale values), then jeep. want a nice family hauler, highway cruiser, 7 passengers, very reliable, keep many years trouble free and put 300K miles on it then go pilot. want the ability to off road, highway cruiser, family hauler, reliable, longevity, better ride than jeep but not as good as pilot, and resale value go 4runner.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
We own the 4Runner and take it all over town, through the winters, and on our long trips. Is bulletproof as had been said. It is my wife's daily driver. She didn't want a soccer mobile. We came from an original Pilot that we sold with 193,000 miles on it.

Our neighbors have the new Pilot. Is a very different car... That's what it is. Think Accord with ground clearance. Good technology interface and very smooth. The Toyota is very workman like.

What do you want from your vehicle?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I love having a Jeep as a fun car. It would never be my only car.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you would want the Gladiator instead you might be able to get as much as $20,000 off.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2...DN3QbagmvdqSSdSU_bUI

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 4Runner and old TJ Jeep. The 4Runner is still the same vehicle this model year. Have put a front leveling lift with firmer shocks, AT tires and roof rack on it. It rides a bit truck like now. Nice to drive, a little noisy inside, very underpowered at elevation, and gets 19 mpg. I’m pretty happy with it because I like the old school midsize truck-ish feel of it and the lack of full-on nanny controls.
The relatively old design, full frame, truck-ish ride, and resale are the old points in favor of a T4r. The same features are in a Jeep that’s arguably more fun to own. Jeep has gone silly on there drivetrain with a turbo 4 or the +$30k V8 being the only non hybrid options.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ain't taking no nearly 50,000 dollar SUV out through the sand and palmettos-not a chance.

Jeeps used to be very, very unreliable after being just a few years old (had one several years ago-never, ever again). Not sure about now, but they are, or were, Chryslers (yuck). Yep, I had a Chrysler once, too, many years ago-fat, gas sucking pig.

The 4Runner is the best for off road (I already scratched the Jeep off, at least, my list) and if you want to take it off road and watch it get beat up, then that's the one for you. If you want comfort, space and reliability, then go for the Pilot.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I ain't taking no nearly 50,000 dollar SUV out through the sand and palmettos-not a chance.

Jeeps used to be very, very unreliable after being just a few years old (had one several years ago-never, ever again). Not sure about now, but they are, or were, Chryslers (yuck). Yep, I had a Chrysler once, too, many years ago-fat, gas sucking pig.

My 2017 jeep isn’t a gas a gas sucking pig ( I get 17-18 mpg easily with the 3.6 / 4.10’s and 35;s) and my two Ram trucks 5.7 with 4.10’s have been the most trouble free vehicles I’ve ever owned while also averaging 17-18 mpg and flirt with 20+ mpg on the highway with a tailwind). None of the three have had any mechanical issues.

I feel your hate though blankshooter.

Good. Good.

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I had a 2015 4runner that I bought new and now has 97,000 miles. I also wanted another 4runner before they went to the 4 cylinder engine. So I sold my ‘15 to my son. I bought a new 2023 4runner SR5 TRD off road premium. Not much different than my old one. I love it but I’m going to hate the new car payment…

Everything is a trade off.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
What are your priorities?

Capable and fun are top priorities - Wrangler.

Capable, still fun but dialed back a couple of notches, and need a little plusher ride - 4Runner.

Mainly concerned with comfort in a solid daily driver, not planning on venturing off the pavement much - Pilot.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
x0225095, perhaps you didn't understand or are just being a jerk, but I didn't say Jeeps were gas-sucking pigs-my Chrysler, however, was.

No idea what triggered you to call me blankshooter. I guess we'll never be friends.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think Jeep has a reputation of being unreliable. It does seem every rendition has at least substantial issue that may or may not be subject to a recall. I never see a Jeep broken down beside the road. Mine only let me down once with a bad crank sensor at almost 140k miles, but I did have to rebuild the engine at 120k over a cracked head coolant leak, an axle u-joint became crunchy at around 169k. I’d say daily reliability but it can have a few thorns. So far I have found Mopar parts far better than aftermarket replacements.
Having had both if I now went to get a new one it would be the turbo 4 Rubicon Jeep. If I had stupid money the Hemi V8 Rubicon. I want orange.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 333 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could have been more specific. When I said "used to" I was talking about years ago, and I recall when I was a young police officer, we all seemed to have jeeps, purchased used, of course, and they were quite often unreliable.

Chryslers, too, were often unreliable, IMO, after a few years. I never hated any of them, just didn't want to use my money to buy or maintain them. Your experiences may have been different than mine.

Bob

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m not into CUV’s but I liked the Honda Passport a lot in this class. SOHC V6, same engine that is in my Ridgeline. Outstanding AWD system. Suspension was excellent as well.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12644 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
4Runners got too big for me, and what I really don’t like are my feet up so high. I feel the seat is too low. I like to sit more upright.

If I went out to get what I wanted right now, it would be a Subaru Forrester Wilderness. Upright seating with a little over 9” of clearance.

I haven’t been in the newer Wranglers. Last one I drove was from late’70’/early ‘80s. Still, I hear people run out to get one, finding they are just too rough riding after a while. I can’t remember, but I think the other complaint was interior noise. I like smaller vehicles, and I still don’t understand why Jeep hasn’t released a cool micro offroader.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:

I haven’t been in the newer Wranglers. Last one I drove was from late’70’/early ‘80s. Still, I hear people run out to get one, finding they are just too rough riding after a while. I can’t remember, but I think the other complaint was interior noise. I like smaller vehicles, and I still don’t understand why Jeep hasn’t released a cool micro offroader.

That’s your wisdom? Really?

You haven’t ridden in a Jeep in over 40 years but you’ve heard that the “newer” wranglers ride rough and you think that they might be noisy too.

Ok.

Well, do you know that Jeep already offers a cool micro off-roader? They do. It’s called a Wrangler. I know it’s been over 40 years but, dude, if you check them out, they’re still pretty small. If you go any smaller it’s called an ATV. If you go any bigger it’s called a wrangler unlimited. Besides, going smaller certainly wouldn’t be a recipe for solving the complaint you think you heard about jeeps riding rough and being noisy. Maybe that’s why they haven’t done it? Because people might think they rode rough and were more noisy.

And before you even ask…No, wranglers are not usually considered as “gas guzzling pigs” by those who know what they’re talking about.

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
x0225095:

Can you point out where anyone said Wranglers were considered gas sucking pigs on this forum?

Didn't think so.

Bob