SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Census Data Reveals the Most Miserable Cities In America
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Census Data Reveals the Most Miserable Cities In America Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
It is amazing that so many California cities are on this list.

https://www.heraldweekly.com/u...in-america/53?xcmg=1

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lansing, Michigan was so bad it made the list twice.

I call BS on New Haven, CT being on this list. By far the best pizza in the world. Not country. World. Better than NYC which is a close 2nd. Anyplace that has the best pizza can't be on a list like this.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I call BS on New Haven, CT being on this list. By far the best pizza in the world. Not country. World. Better than NYC which is a close 2nd. Anyplace that has the best pizza can't be on a list like this.

Frank Pepe's for the win.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:

Lots of NJ cities too. (But that isn't really a surprise, is it Smile)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In general, poverty rate, crime rate, unemployment rate are good indicators, but they also added some very strange criteria for being a miserable city. For example, Hunstville, TX, is on the list because this is where Texas carries out the death penalty.

However, this is flat out race baiting bullshit:
quote:
Pasadena, Texas

Pasadena, California, is known for its wealthy communities, but Pasadena, Texas, is an entirely different story. Pasadena is exceptionally divided. The southern part of the town consists of mostly white individuals, while the north section is comprised of Latino residents.

Despite the hostilities, Latinos kept moving into the city, drawn by its cheap housing and abundant jobs. By 2010, they made up more than 60 percent of the city's population.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Funny! I had not heard of New Haven Style Pizza before. About a month ago, I discovered Ah-Beetz New Haven Pizza around the corner. It is now our go to pizza joint.

quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Lansing, Michigan was so bad it made the list twice.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
quote:

Lots of NJ cities too. (But that isn't really a surprise, is it Smile)

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Albany, Georgia is where I taught school.

It's much, much worse than described.

They consider minimum wage too high for professionals.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not surprised to see that Shreveport made the list.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I can't really dispute that Jackson, MS should be on the list. It's now a crappy city, and that wasn't always the case.

However, some of the commentary borders on moronic. Essentially said that the city had the gall to threaten to cut the water off if residents didn't pay their bills. What a terrible idea!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
why do they have a picture of Portland when they are talking about Grants Pass, OR? The 2 are hundreds of miles apart and are far different from one another.

Makes me question the credibility of the rest of the article

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
quote:

Frank Pepe's for the win.

Sorry, Sally's is 11th, Modern Apizza is 27th, Frank Pepe is 51st. Still a very solid showing, but not quite the best.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some, most?, of these places are shifty but some of the reasoning is flawed. It’s like somebody set up a bot to write clickbait but didn’t spring for a good bot.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.heraldweekly.com/u...in-america/53?xcmg=1

^^^ you have to wonder if they just take a cross-section of cites in the US just to make it seem like they are inclusive of everyone?
Make them seem equally divided across the country and pick a problem it has.
More or less a click-bait arcticle. Frown

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know many of those CA cities. Some of the stats may be accurate, these cities are right next door to the best cities in SoCal.

I call bogus.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

However, this is flat out race baiting bullshit:
quote:
Pasadena, Texas

Pasadena, California, is known for its wealthy communities, but Pasadena, Texas, is an entirely different story. Pasadena is exceptionally divided. The southern part of the town consists of mostly white individuals, while the north section is comprised of Latino residents.

Despite the hostilities, Latinos kept moving into the city, drawn by its cheap housing and abundant jobs. By 2010, they made up more than 60 percent of the city's population.

When I would go home from college I had to pass through Pasadena, Tx. Don't know about the demographics, but I was miserable having to deal with the smells from the refineries and chemical plants. Most malodorous place I've experienced.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
Not surprised to see that Shreveport made the list.
Yup…place is a Liberal, Demotarded, infested shithole. Most industry that was there has pulled out for good reason. Libby Glass had been there for YEARS AND YEARS and finally had to give it up.

Was born there, but we moved away when I was 6 y.o., so ZERO allegiance to that place at all. Go east across the river into Bossier City and it’s an ENTIRELY different world. Maybe being the home of Barksdale AFB has an impact on that?

Can’t say it enough…I HATE Shreveport and I HATE having to go there, but unfortunately mother is living there and have to go check in on her periodically. She hates it too…

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
For example, Hunstville, TX, is on the list because this is where Texas carries out the death penalty.
Yup…flawed bullshit reasoning. Huntsville, TX is a BEAUTIFUL area. God bless Sam Houston and God bless the death penalty!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Some, most?, of these places are shifty but some of the reasoning is flawed. It’s like somebody set up a bot to write clickbait but didn’t spring for a good bot.
How many cities did it take you to come to that conclusion? I read about three and then started scrolling through the list to confirm that’s what it was.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
How many cities did it take you to come to that conclusion? I read about three and then started scrolling through the list to confirm that’s what it was.

I looked and saw some usual suspects for this kind of list. I read Montebello which isn’t the greatest but was surprisingly on the list. The claim that three car dealerships closing and and average commute of 33 minutes make it one of the most miserable places is absurd. It’s in LA. It’s not like traffic isn’t a constant or three car dealerships were the only employment options. Lazy clickbait.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does it feel like I just went onto a click-bait website? There's very little depth here....

Is Passaic, New Jersey impoverished because the sex education at the schools is inadequate?

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post