SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is all ammo offered in bricks ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is all ammo offered in bricks ? Login/Join 
posted
Or just .22 l.r. ?

30 years ago while working at a gun store ,
I remember selling 6 or 8 bricks of . 22 a week.

But never any other caliber.

Do you buy bricks of 9mm or 5.56 or .357 ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about all ammo, but common calibers yes. Certainly 9mm and .223 can be bought in bulk packs of 1000, a “case”, but I’ve seen lots of packages of 250 or 500 rounds, usually a group of individual boxes with an outer box or packaging. Maybe only the .22 is called a “brick” due to its size.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I've purchased 9mm, 5.56, and a few other military calibers in cases. Small boxes holding 20-50 rounds stacked inside a sturdy cardboard box holding 500-1200 rounds total.

They didn't call it a brick, but yeah same thing as 22lr bricks except much heavier.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the term brick refers to the weight? Or the number of rounds or the dimensions ?
Of the package.

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah a brick of 500 .22LR is 10 50-round boxes in a pack about the size of a brick.

I just bought a case of 1000 Magtech 9mm. Guess it could be a cinder block.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I recently purchased 3-150rd boxes of 5.7 ammo. The 3-boxes came in a box about the size of a brick.

Posts: 2019 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine bought a pallet of 308 match ammo once. They delivered it to the PD. Me and another cop checked busy and split the load up and drove it in out pickups to James’ farm for him-he tried to pay the truck driver to do it but he wasn’t haveing any of it.

And I mean a pallet. Three feet high. Impressive to say the least.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
500 22rds in a box, looked a bit like a brick.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go back to when 22 ammo was tightly packed in 50 round cardboard boxes without dividers between the cartridges a carton of ten boxes was about the size of a brick hence the term.

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I think it’s because of weight? Maybe a brick of 22 is about the size of a brick?

This was a few months ago. I ordered 16000 rounds of 9mm. It came in 16 cases off the semi.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8028 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, what kind of a deal do you get with 16,000 rds?

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
A brick of 22LR ammo is a 500-round case of cartridges, containing ten 50-round boxes arranged in a 2×5 formation. While its shape and size may resemble those of an actual brick, a brick of 22 LR makes for terrible construction material! AmmoForSale

As far as I know, "brick" only applies to .22 ammo.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of a deal do you get with 16,000 rds?

Big Grin
Buy 15,900
Get 100 free
Big Grin

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't even see, or don't remember seeing it for a long time, .22 coming in "bricks" of 500 (10x 50-round boxes about the size of a building brick) any more. It always seems to be, for example, 325 rounds loosely in a small bucket.

Posts: 28004 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Seems like "bricks" of .22 are a bit of a vintage item now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kkina picture worth a thousand words of course.
Egregore higher quality European ammo still comes in bricks ( the domestic makers with the limited exception of CCI having foregone quality for quantity a long time ago) but they are slightly larger than old school bricks due to the use of plastic trays that separate each round individually.

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I see is bulk boxes of 9mm or battle packs.

Posts: 90 | Registered: September 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No larger calibers come in cases. Once in a while some manufacturers will sell a 250 count case or something along those lines.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
No larger calibers come in cases. Once in a while some manufacturers will sell a 250 count case or something along those lines.
Define larger calibers. I’ve bought 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45ACP all in 1000 round cases. 223 has typically been in 500 round cases, same with 556, though I have got some 1000 round cases of IMI 556, and also some 1200 round cases of IMI 556. I think the GECO 556 might have also come in 1000 round boxes, but I’d have to check. 308 Win seems to have been in 200 round cases, at least in my experience. I thought the 762x51 came in larger cases, 500s? but it has been long enough that I don’t remember and would have to go look.

ETA: Nobody told CCI that 22lr doesn’t come in bricks anymore:
https://palmettostatearmory.co...-40gr-rn-500rds.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301133745/

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...ose-0021-p-1357.aspx

PSA and Midway USA are out of bricks, but Target Sports USA says they have 99+ of them.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. I remember getting Winchester White Box of 100 rounds of 9mm at Walmart.... before they stopped selling ammo at certain locations. It came in a plain box, everything was loose.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post