SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with BEHR Advanced DeckOver products?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with BEHR Advanced DeckOver products? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
12x20 previously weathered deck in good surface condition. Will be properly cleaned and prepped prior to applying any finish/paint.

We are considering the TEXTURED finish. Railings and balusters will be done in the non-textured product.

Any thoughts on this DIY project?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I used it once on a deck project. Did not like it. Way too thick. I used the non-textured product but have since seen the textured version and it is very textured. More so than other non-slip paints I have seen.

I would be very hesitant to use it again. It's marketed as filling in cracks on older decks and it kinda will do it but that's because it's so thick.

This was about four years ago so maybe the product has changed.

Cabot makes a really good deck stain I used in the past and really liked. You have to prep it well but it is much better than Deckover although it's more a stain than a paint. If your deck is in decent condition and prepped well I would use it over Deckover. When I used it I got it, Ace. Not sure who else carries it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use Cabot but they got bought.

All the formulas changed and are more environmentally friendly and not as good a stain.

I switch to California which now has stain with a formula similar to what Cabot was.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's total crap. My deck is old, didn't dare walk barefoot on it. BEHR advertised it would add ten years to the life of your deck. I followed instructions to a tee. It lasted maybe a year and a half. Now after 5-6 years I need to replace the whole deck. There was a class action lawsuit against BEHR over it. I can't believe they still sell the shit.

Posts: 971 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 971 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We have it. Seems decent enough. We used the nontextured which is still slightly rough. Ours is only 1 year old though. It’s definitely thicker than the prior formula.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I have and looked great for less than a year and a half. Then started peeling more and more as time went on. I will add that the forum has a Behr Rep and I was put in contact with customer service in which they sent me a few gallons of the New and Improved product in which I have not used. No longer trust the deckover product.

The paint for interior use we have no problems and highly recommend .

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Well, that's depressing. I was hoping the Behr product would be a winner, but seems it is not. The search continues.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Wood RX for our wood porches and steps in Florida. It is very easy to apply and lasts well. I usually reapply annually.

https://woodrx.com/

Posts: 875 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have friends that used it on their dock and it holding up pretty well after 2 years, but their wood wasn't in terrible shape.

If the wood is really gone, I'd recommend what ever band aid is available and start saving for a Trex type replacement. Wood these days is shit. I replaced my dock boards about 7 years ago, treated them every year and I had to replace them last year as I could step through several. I bit the bullet and put down the syntetic stuff. Loving it so far.

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:

Wood these days is shit.

I agree. I replaced the treads on my decks stairs a few years before I put the Deckover on.
They are rotting worse than parts of my deck that are 35 years old. The maybe 40% thats in
the shade doesn't look too bad, the rest that's in the sun is peeling and flaking off.
With the price of lumber now it can wait. I'll look into Trex in the future.