Find
Notify
Tools

Soul Train Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
When I was in junior high school in the mid-1970s, there were a few absolute truths known and accepted by me and my gang, and one of these truths was that if you wanted to make out, you'd better be able to dance, and the better you could dance, the better chance you had of making out.
When I was 13/14 years old, all I wanted was to have my tongue in some girl's mouth while I fondled her breasts. We had some notion that there was something beyond this, but just making out was our goal.

To that end, I watched American Bandstand and Soul Train every Saturday, assuming I was home. It's funny, I never thought it before today, but Dick Clark and Don Cornelius both have the initials DC.

One thing I could tell you back then, even though I was naive to the world, is that black people had dance style that I couldn't ever hope to possess. I grew up in the deep south. I guess the assumption is that we all walked around decrying "niggers". My mother forbade such language in our home and I never heard my father say any such things, either. I knew that black people in my town felt separate from us and I could see that there were actual differences in the way they were treated- and in their attutudes towards us- but I am grateful to my parents for allowing me to form my own opinions on these things.

I had a close friend in my neighborhood, who happened to be black. He walked into my house one Saturday and saw me watching Soul Train.
"Whatcha doin??", he asked. I'll never forget. He sounded half amused, half shocked. "Watchin' Soul Train" I said, and that was that. He sat down and watched with me and nothing else was said about it, but it surprised me that it surprised him.

At any rate, these are clips- it looks like- from about that same time period. Both are mixes- clips from various episodes- with the second one being superbly edited. Take a look and see if you can catch the groove. This was part of my youth.

And you can bet your last money that it's always gonna be a stone gas, honey!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Watched Soul Train for years......Loved it to death.....Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Soul Train also. I was also impressed by the Jackson Five dancing, I remember Cher dancing with them on her show.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
I enjoyed Soul Train also. I was also impressed by the Jackson Five dancing, I remember Cher dancing with them on her show.
Man, does that bring back memories!!

I guess I'm feeling nostalgic today. Frown

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I had an older cousin who came to Atlanta for nursing school (from a little town in south alabama) and she would come to our home on the weekends to do laundry and chill out. We would always watch soul train together on Saturday afternoons. Loved that show. Much more than bandstand really...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I agree that white folks can't dance. Even the ones who can (like Travolta for example), it always looks rehearsed and overly practiced. Whereas the black folks just seem to be naturals at it.

I never could understand why there was that difference, but it's there. They got the rhythm and we don't.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I remember this correctly:

....and you can bet your last money, it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey! I'm Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul!

Don was a former Marine and a Chicago Cop before he went on to Radio & TV stardom.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Soooooooouuuulll Train!

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I never tried to dance like the people on tv but watched it often in the early 80s. It came on after a show I watched.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the '70s, I watched it often right after "American Bandstand" especially if they had some righteous performers on. I was a teen back then....

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Para,

If you recall the movie, Footloose, well I was after that.

I was a kid that moved into a very, very small town in SW Nebraska, about the time the break dancing craze hit.

If you can imagine a bunch of farm boys wearing parachute pants, and doing their best to break dance, I'll admit to being part of that crowd.

I could MoonWalk like nobody's business. I still possess that skill. Use to drive my parents crazy, every time I walked in the kitchen, I'd moonwalk to the fridge.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Soooooooouuuulll Train!

Big Grin

You beat me to it!

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Have you watched the show American Dreams?
About a family in Philly during the American Bandstand Era. With the main characters dream is to be a dancer on Bandstand.
Sounds a bit like your family upbringing.
I missed it when it originally aired on CBS I believe. I have only seen the 1st season as it is on DVD and I highly enjoyed it. I believe there are 3 total seasons but supposedly all the musical rights are crazy expensive which is why they won’t put the subsequent seasons on disc and likely will never see syndication.
The DVD set for season 1 was nearly $200 upon release. Down substantially now that it has been 10+ years since its release.
American Dreams - Season One (Extended Music Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000..._api_i_ZT1.Ab5905BWG

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I was a child of the 80's and I watched plenty of Soul Train. Watched it after my Saturday cartoons.

Found this video, pretty cool. Intros throughout the years.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/TuGiQHqQCxE

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I grew up when both we're on, but to the tail end. My Jr high dance era was either people standing around or moshing to grunge or doing whatever to the awkward slow dance. I don't think any male I knew got any action due to their dance skills. The girl I liked and took to Jr high dances had a black belt in tae kwon do and her dad was the HS asst. principal. I didn't get too fresh.

Posts: 2518 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I was born a poor black child...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I watched both Bandstand and Soul Train and the latter was way cooler, I loved it. It was a sexier show, the music was better, the girls were hot.

A white guest:

and Joe Tex:

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Wow, if I ever forget the memories of slow dancing under the disco ball to How Deep Is Your Love..the BeeGees had us all dancin' in the 70s

https://youtu.be/c9u4Su0J4Zg

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Funny bit on white folks dancing starting at 5:45. The direct link will take you straight to it.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/dCIOVDgwfRs?t=5m46s

Posts: 7259 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post