SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    how would you feel about this financial arrangment?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how would you feel about this financial arrangment? Login/Join 
posted
Patty and Bert have been married for 7 years,
she: 61 , he: 63.

Patty's mom and dad sold the farm and moved in too tiny town. built a ranch style duplex, they use the other side for a guest house.

Patty's dad (grant)set up a checking account /trust with his and hers name on it , in the amount of $1.5 mil.

Only Patty can write on the account , not Bert.

would you get all twisted out of shape and irate
?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55173 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
No
Common for older parents to add a adult childs name on bank accounts.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4226 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
No.

My grandmother set up a trust with her two children on it, my dad and my aunt. Both could write checks. My mom and my uncle(aunts husband) couldn't.

This isn't uncommon.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No. As the others said, this kind of arrangement is quite common.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Nope.
If you are referring to Bert, it's not his money or parents anyways.

Posts: 7443 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I would want to know exactly what they were trying to achieve. Do they just need the daughter to have check writing authority? Are they attempting to avoid probate? What is the goal?

And the question that really comes to mind is why keep $1.5million in a checking account? I would venture to guess that they need to consult with a Certified Financial Planner.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I would assume this is to for Patty to manage his affairs should her father be unable to do so. I hope they got the advice of an estate attorney as to how best structure the arrangement. Do not need the IRS questioning anything.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Not at all, as others have stated.

Posts: 4094 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Nope. Perfectly normal, whether she’s an authorized user or an actual joint owner, depending on the purpose. Either way, it’s nothing he should be getting bent out of shape over. Not at all.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Patty and Bert have been married for 7 years,
she: 61 , he: 63.

Patty's mom and dad sold the farm and moved in too tiny town. built a ranch style duplex, they use the other side for a guest house.

Patty's dad (grant)set up a checking account /trust with his and hers name on it , in the amount of $1.5 mil.

Only Patty can write on the account , not Bert.

would you get all twisted out of shape and irate
?

Why should you? It ain't your money. If you get "irate" about it, something is seriously wrong with you, imo.

Q

Posts: 27511 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
If Bert and Patty have a good marriage it shouldn't be a problem. If not, its probably a wise move. Wink

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, a friend advised that a couple should each have their own as well as the joint. Hers, his, and ours. Mrs. slosig and I did things that way and it has been a real blessing. She does what she wants with hers, with no input from me unless she asks for it. I do what I want with mine and she doesn’t give me too much grief about it. We use ours for household expenses and by agreement.

If she were to come into money from her family, it would be hers, plain and simple. None of my business unless she asks for advice.

Posts: 7071 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m on all my mom and dad’s accounts but my wife is not...mom and dad did it so I can remove money if/when they die without having to go thru the courts....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Very common estate planning strategy to transfer assets to an adult child, while usually avoiding probate.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
I guess I would want to know exactly what they were trying to achieve. Do they just need the daughter to have check writing authority? Are they attempting to avoid probate? What is the goal?

And the question that really comes to mind is why keep $1.5million in a checking account? I would venture to guess that they need to consult with a Certified Financial Planner.

If they have $1.5 million in their checking account it’s probably pocket change, looks like they are doing just fine without a financial planner.

Posts: 9795 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would Bert have anything to do with Patty’s parents money. Her Parents gave her control to take care of them with their money because they realize they won’t be able to do it for themselves at some point, he shouldn’t be involved.

Once Patty’s parents die then whatever they leave to Patty as described in their will becomes Patty’s and Berts but not before. It’s possible Patty’s parents new Bert was a screwball and would spend all their money frivolously leaving them without enough money in their golden years when they will need it most.

We can all hope our parents where responsible enough with money so that they are completely taken care of financially for the rest of their lives even if they might be incapable of physically writing the checks themselves.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Once Patty’s parents die then whatever they leave to Patty as described in their will becomes Patty’s and Berts but not before.

Depends on state law and how the money is handled. In at least some states, if the money is left to Patty as her sole and separate property and Patty does not commingle it with “their money” or community property, then it remains Patty’s sole and separate property and Bert has no right to any of it.

Posts: 7071 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What if Bert had access to the account and decided to "find himself" or whatever the excuse may be and drained the account? Money does strange things to people.

Without going into details one of our children went through a divorce. Her now ex drained their joint account (only one they had). While we did not go through with a will revision it became our concern was that if the wife and I both met our demise before the divorce was final our estate would become something else for her ex to try and get his hands into. Not an unwarranted thought, one of his remarks to her during the divorce dance was "Get money from your parents".

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8378 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Nope it's not his money especially only being in the family for 7 years.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No

Surprised this is even a question.

And if they have $1.5M in a checking account, they probably have eight figures plus in other investments ...

Cool stuff.

MDS

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post