SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of moving from VA. to N.C. or S.C. to escape democrats
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of moving from VA. to N.C. or S.C. to escape democrats Login/Join 
posted
We are thinking of moving to the Charlotte, N.C. area. Maybe down into S.C. near the N.C. Border. Want to get away from the VA.Democrats. We moved to VA. from MD. about 15 years ago for the same reason. We worry about how N.C. or S.C. could go in a few years. We never anticipated VA. possibly having worse gun laws then MD. Does anyone from N.C. or S.C. have any thoughts on this? How about where to shoot near Charlotte, N.C.? Thanks for any response.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Google Charlotte's mayor. You just may change your mind. This is the idiot that said women were just going to have to get used to seeing male genitalia in their rest rooms from now on.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NC and Ga are the next two to go purple.

Raleigh area is already flooded with New Englanders fleeing high taxes and opressive government only to try and enact it in their adopted state.

Tennessee might not be far behind NC and Ga.

SC seems like the safest bet to me at the moment.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Kentucky looks pretty good so far.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlotte is NOT part of NC. It is unaffectionately known as "The Great State of Charlotte." While other metro areas are bad, they pale in comparison to Charlotte. The only two places that come close are Chapel Hill and Asheville.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would strongly advise moving to the Charlotte area.

For the last two years I worked the 2100 to 0700 shift as an Investigator at the M.E. Office.

It is not pleasant, the cost of living is ridiculous and so are the taxes.

I can also attest to the blue mindset that is prevalent there. It is sickening.

Now if you would move to Cabarrus County which is about 30 miles north of Charlotte that is a whole different story. I loved the Kannapolis/Concord area, and it still pisses me off that I had to move back to this Durham Crap hole to take the job with the government.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The democrats are moving south too.
They are also trying to escape the results of the consequences of their failed policies.
The problem is that they are slow learners and try to turn their new home state into democrat control too.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
I would strongly advise moving to the Charlotte area.

For the last two years I worked the 2100 to 0700 shift as an Investigator at the M.E. Office.

It is not pleasant, the cost of living is ridiculous and so are the taxes.

I can also attest to the blue mindset that is prevalent there. It is sickening.

Now if you would move to Cabarrus County which is about 30 miles north of Charlotte that is a whole different story. I loved the Kannapolis/Concord area, and it still pisses me off that I had to move back to this Durham Crap hole to take the job with the government.

I was looking at crime rates in S.C. below Charlotte. What about Fort Mill or Tega Cay? I am also open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Wait—what?
I thought that only a sniveling idiot wouldn’t pick up and move if he didn’t like local infringements on gun rights or other oppressive laws and regulations. Even the unconquerable bastions are crumbling—no? Didn’t Kentucky just elect a Democrat governor? Yes, it was a close election as I recall, but a couple of months ago we were assured it was solid, and as someone famously pointed out, elections have consequences no matter how we wish to ignore them.

So, that’s my question now: Just where can someone move to be in freedom safety for at least … oh, say, a year or perhaps even 18 months?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll "get away from Democrats" very much in NC. They also have stupid Jim Crow-era gun laws (needing a permit to purchase a handgun, for example).
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

I don't know where you're getting that from. Yes, there are blue areas in and around Memphis and Nashville, and Knoxville is kind of purplish. But the state has gone comfortable majority for Republicans as governor (Lee) and senator (Blackburn) just recently. The district I'm in (the 1st, all the counties east of Knoxville) hasn't voted Dem for a representative since 1880.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Check out the fort mill / Rock hill areas in SC. They are minutes across the border from Charlotte & close proximity to Charlotte Douglas Airport.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:

Raleigh area is already flooded with New Englanders fleeing high taxes and opressive government only to try and enact it in their adopted state.

I want you to stop saying this stuff in this forum.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Kentucky looks pretty good so far.

flashguy

Just because we elected a DemonCrap Governor by only 5000 votes a couple of weeks ago does not mean Kentucky is turning blue; all other down-ballot races went Republican. Kentucky is safely red (except for Louisville/Jefferson County and Lexington/Fayette County). Trump will win Kentucky and Mitch McConnell will be re-elected in 2020.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Charlotte or the area. I've been in Charlotte since 2001.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At what point do you put down roots and regardless of political leanings of the area, you say you're home? By moving ever time things seem to be leaning blue, you're playing right into the Dem play book...soon, there will be no more bastions of conservatism or, moderation at a minimum, because like-minded folks, all scatter about when new neighbors showed up.

Meanwhile, Dems simply move into areas they like ergo, conservatives start makings plans to pack up? Good grief, take a stand!

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

I want you to stop saying this stuff in this forum.

Ok. Any particular reason though? I live in the area and have family in friends in all of the state's I have mentioned. I just watched my home state turn blue and have spent the last two weeks seriously researching where to go if things gets really bad here. I don't want to have to move again in the next 10-15 due to the same reason. I'm not just parroting some article I read.

Tennessee and Georgia are courting Amazon and Hollywood respectively with their business friendly policies. Virginia did the same thing with the tech corridor in Sterling. Tech and entertainment are dominated by the left.

Not trying to run afoul of anyone so that's all I have to say about that.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I love Virginia. Been here since 2000. My family settled in Bedford in the 1600's, in fact a couple of their names grace a stone in front of the courthouse there.

This January, the democrats will control the entire government show.

There is movement about to stifle it as we can, but I would not advise this as a safe haven for conservatives now.

West Virginia, yes, but then you have to put up with the jokes;-)

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
At what point do you put down roots and regardless of political leanings of the area, you say you're home? By moving ever time things seem to be leaning blue, you're playing right into the Dem play book...soon, there will be no more bastions of conservatism or, moderation at a minimum, because like-minded folks, all scatter about when new neighbors showed up.

Meanwhile, Dems simply move into areas they like ergo, conservatives start makings plans to pack up? Good grief, take a stand!

I lived in Maryland for over 50 years. I was active politicaly, voted, wrote letters and talked to my all of my elected representatives. I worked very hard in the vote against the gun ban referendum, worked the phone banks and the polls on election day. Lost every time. Steny Hoyer will be my Congressman until he dies or decides to retire. When that happens, he will be replaced with someone as bad or worse. I lived in the Washington, D.C. area, just minutes from Virginia. As the neighborhood I lived in deteriorated, I had to move. At that point, VA. was the obvious option. It had better gun laws, and I could move far enough out from D.C. to be represented by people that did not hate me because I owned a gun. I worked very hard in the last election to keep my state representatives Republican and pro gun. It worked, but the Dems have taken over the state, If the Democrats pass some of the laws they are proposing I will have 3 choices= sell a bunch of stuff, move, or risk being arrested and convicted of a felony. What would you do?

Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:

SC seems like the safest bet to me at the moment.

GA will never go Purple....

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since waking up I have been thinking about this discussion thread, and I realized the response I posted could be contrived as narrow minded or harsh since I did not explain my position very well.

I would not live in the city itself because I feel 90% of it is a crap hole and the amount of taxes a person pays and the cost of living is not worth what you are getting. With that being said I would live in the varies cities that surround Charlotte and are still located within Mecklenburg County such as Mint Hill, Huntersville, Davidson and cornelius.

Most of the Investigators that worked in our office lived in Gaston, Cabarrus, Union, and Rowan County. One each lived in Mint Hill and Huntersville. Two lived in the city itself but in the Uptown area but they were active in the night life scene.

I have found that Gaston, Cabarrus and Rowan are a little more conservative since most of the area is still country for time being.

About 10 years ago I interviewed in Tega Cay for the Police Dept. I enjoy both Tega Cay and Fort mill but both are considered a couple of the fastest growing cities in SC so it is become very expensive to live.

For the past ten years I thought I would be working and retiring in Greenville SC. It had everything I wanted from sports, to hiking and fishing and just developed enough not to feel hemmed in. Well I guess about 50,000 people had the same idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post