SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If it runs on combustible fuel, I don't want a battery-powered version of it
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it runs on combustible fuel, I don't want a battery-powered version of it Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Gasoline, diesel, whatever. If it's got an internal combustion or diesel engine, I have no interest in a battery-powered version.

Automobiles, lawnmowers, chain saws, you name it. I will resist to the last. And that goes for my gas stove, gas furnace and gas water heater. Stay the fuck away from my stuff.

Lefty can take his carbon footprint and cram it so far up his ass, he can tickle his nose with his toes. Saving the planet? Horse shit. GMAFB. Lefty is nothing but a slimy thief who doesn't have the balls to be honest about what they're doing.

Bullet holes would improve the character of most of these con artists.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
100% agree. And yes, the collective can shove it up their ass.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more. I like my diesel truck and my motorcycles that run on premium unleaded. I do like getting paid to install EV charger circuits though.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post

Um, I like my 40 volt battery pruning saw and hedge trimmer. Lighter and much more convenient than the gas versions, which I also own.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree other than to say my battery chain saw is a nice compliment to my gas one. Were I to have just one it'll be the gasser for sure. But for cutting a limb or small tree so I can pull it off a trail I can be done and on my way in the time I get the gas saw started, warmed up for 5-10 seconds, and off choke.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'll buy an EV as soon as they go all in for the electric ambulance or a battery powered fire truck.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I cut my own firewood. I need a saw that will run all day and cut through 18-24” logs while doing it. Electric will NEVER match that performance without hardlining to a generator or hydraulic system.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

...Automobiles, lawnmowers, chain saws, you name it. I will resist to the last. And that goes for my gas stove, gas furnace and gas water heater. Stay the fuck away from my stuff...

My position exactly.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I cut my own firewood. I need a saw that will run all day and cut through 18-24” logs while doing it. Electric will NEVER match that performance without hardlining to a generator or hydraulic system.

I agree.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, para.

My biggest problem with battery-powered stuff is the runtime. It just ain't there. And when you run out of battery... well... that's it. "Refueling" takes forever and a day.

Ok, multiple batteries for power tools. Fine. Wunnerful. My next problem is limited lifetime. My oldest gasoline power tool is my Shindaiwa string trimmer. Over thirty years old. Anybody out there have any thirty-year-old power tool batteries that still take a charge?

Which brings me to my next gripe: Replacement batteries can cost more than an entire tool, with batteries, on sale, and there's a complete lack of battery standardization. Even from model-to-model from the same manufacturer.

That last, I believe, is purposeful on the part of the manufacturers. If the "save the planet people" really want to do something to help the planet, how about going after the waste of people having to discard entirely useful power tools because they either can't get replacement batteries or they're prohibitively expensive?

That last is why I always go gasoline, air, or corded electric whenever I can. ArtieS wrote, in the "Battery Chainsaw" thread: "it's the battery universe you live in." My gasoline works in all my gas-powered tools. My air works for all my air-powered tools. Our outlets and my extension cords work for all my corded power tools. All regardless of age, manufacturer, or tool type.

I let myself be fooled (or fooled myself, take your pick) and went cordless on our last stick vacuum. Never again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Gasoline, diesel, whatever. If it's got an internal combustion or diesel engine, I have no interest in a battery-powered version.

Automobiles, lawnmowers, chain saws, you name it. I will resist to the last. And that goes for my gas stove, gas furnace and gas water heater. Stay the fuck away from my stuff.

Lefty can take his carbon footprint and cram it so far up his ass, he can tickle his nose with his toes. Saving the planet? Horse shit. GMAFB. Lefty is nothing but a slimy thief who doesn't have the balls to be honest about what they're doing.

Correct.

This is just a large (unprecedented) scale wealth redistribution scam to ruin the US and empower the chinese and their power broker cronies across the globe.

I see over 1000+ huge rail cars chucked full of
US coal going through our community every single week headed for the Port to be loaded on barges and shipped to China. It is non stop.

Remember China has over 100 coal fired power plants under construction right now.

And we are the ones destroying the planet Roll Eyes

Oh, and don't forget the planet destroying battery production the chicoms have been doing for decades.

The mining involved and the consumption of raw materials to do this green shit is on a mind blowing scale. But go ahead and buy your chicom battery stuff. Go for it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have worked for a large, international oil & gas company for 27 years so I'm certainly pro combustion. I hate all of the "green" subsidies (e.g. ethanol) and am very leery of the proposed low-carbon economy.

I've had an electric SUV as a rental car and it showed me the folly of electric vehicles as primary vehicles. I had to watch YouTube to be able to fuel it, I had to download an app to be able to fuel it, I had to eat at a certain restaurant that had a charging station as neither my hotel nor office had charging, etc. PITA.

I am a free choice person (i.e. not being compelled by gov't). Two areas I'm already electric or would consider electric if performance was comparable:
  • It'll probably surprise people that all of my power tools smaller than a lawnmower are battery or plug-in. I hate finickiness of small combustion engines and yes I already use ethanol free gas. I live on a normal size residential lot so battery weedwhacker, edger, hedge trimmer, etc. are fine for me. If I had acreage or were a contractor I'd be combustion.
  • If somebody would produce an all electric or hybrid electric small convertible (e.g. Miata) that was fast, light, cost effective, and torquey then I'd consider it as a second vehicle. Being a 2nd vehicle would take away nearly all of the downside.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    I agree that in general, the technology is not there. But, I'd like a small chainsaw for camping. One to cut a few pieces of firewood and then be done. It's hard to argue with the convenience and ease of use in that limited situation of an electric chainsaw vs a gasoline.

The same applies to my air compressor. I have a compressor with a large tank for longer jobs. But for one tire or to fill up an inflatable paddle board and the like, my battery powered Ryobi is hard to beat for convenience.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of IntrepidTraveler
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ensigmatic:
    ..and there's a complete lack of battery standardization. Even from model-to-model from the same manufacturer.

That last, I believe, is purposeful on the part of the manufacturers...

Of course it is. It took Europe to come out with laws requiring cell phone manufacturers to standardize chargers for the same reason. So don't hold your breath.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
    - Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I hate finickiness of small combustion engines and yes I already use ethanol free gas. I live on a normal size residential lot so battery weedwhacker, edger, hedge trimmer, etc. are fine for me.

Agree with this. Small engines can be a pain in the ass...especially when one doesn't use it a lot.

But I'm a huge oil and gas fan. Worked for Mobil for many years and oil tanker companies in my career. I also own a LOT of oil and gas company stocks and they have done very well. I'm a "fossil fuel" fan! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of kent j
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Bullet holes would improve the character of most of these con artists.

This is absolutely the most concise statement possible to communicate exactly how my wife and I feel about all this bullshit. If they get away with this the shit will never end. Just waiting for them to determine that certain people are the problem and that they should be eliminated.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
    It's only racist to those who want it to be.
    It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Fire hazard: Ferry company bans electric cars

https://freewestmedia.com/2023...-bans-electric-cars/

A Norwegian shipping company has banned electric cars on its ferries because according to a risk analysis, the risk of fire from such vehicles is too great. An ocean liner had recently sunk because of it.

The listed Norwegian shipping company Havila has banned electric, hybrid and hydrogen cars from its ferries. After a risk analysis, it was concluded that the risk to the safety of the shipping fleet was too great. If a car catches fire, the fire can no longer be extinguished.

The shipping company travels the so-called mail ship route along the coast of northern Norway. The tours are important for Scandinavian passenger and cargo traffic and are also very popular with holidaymakers.

The risks for ships from the transport of electric cars have been discussed since the Felicity Ace sank off the Azores last February. E-vehicles on board had caught fire and the blaze could not be extinguished. Finally, the huge ship sank with thousands of electric cars and vehicles from Porsches and Bentleys.

According to a report by the TradeWinds shipping news service, Havila shipping company boss Bent Martini said the risk analysis showed that the fire in an electric car required a particularly complex rescue operation. The crew on board could not afford this. Passengers would also be at risk. This is different for vehicles with combustion engines. A possible fire is usually easy to fight by the crew.

After the sinking of the Felicity Ace, Greenpeace also warned against e-cars on ships: “In general, electronic components and especially electric vehicles pose a risk for every transport,” it said at the time.

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gone but Together Again.
    Dad & Uncle
    Picture of h2oys
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:
    I'll buy an EV as soon as they go all in for the electric ambulance or a battery powered fire truck.

Correction:

I'll buy an EV as soon as they go all in for the electric jet to travel the country telling me what I can/can not have.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    Monongalia County WV BOE leased a few battery school busses because they're green. Well they discovered the real world range is 45 miles! LOL I have a friend who owns a large towing company there and he just told me they are towing them back to where they came from in neighboring PA since they can't make it that far on their own.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Leemur
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve never figured out how to embed YouTube vids so imagine the scene from Blazing Saddles “You brute! You brute! You vicious brute!” Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post