SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorado’s strict gun background check laws aren’t working
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado’s strict gun background check laws aren’t working Login/Join 
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
It looks like this may become an issue in the upcoming race for Governor.

Denver Post - Colorado’s controversial 2013 gun laws could loom large over crowded 2018 governor’s race

Colorado’s debate over guns — forged over years of mass shootings and rekindled after the Oct. 1 massacre in Las Vegas — is set to play out during next year’s race for governor.
2018 candidates for Colorado governor

That’s particularly true among activists on both sides of the debate who during the primaries are poised to magnify even the smallest differences among Democratic and Republican candidates.

Taking center stage in this tug of war: a relitigation of the state’s 2013 gun laws whose passage followed similar attacks in Aurora and Newtown, Conn.

In the four years since Colorado took the twin steps of expanding background checks to private sales and limiting the size of magazines to 15 rounds, there remains a deep divide over beliefs in their effectiveness — with state statistics and one recent study suggesting the efforts have had a limited impact.

Who or what is to blame for their efficacy is another point of contention. As are a number of other gun-related issues, from proposed bans on the “bump stocks” used in the Las Vegas shooting to a failed effort by Congress to outlaw dozens of assault weapons.
Where they stand on guns

“I don’t want to hear about support for the Second Amendment,” said Tony Fabian, president of the Colorado State Shooting Association. “We want to hear specifics. And one of those specifics we better hear (is) a repeal the 2013 gun control laws.”

Said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America: “What is important to us is that the laws that are in place are upheld.”

The Denver Post conducted interviews with — and a survey of — nine candidates in the 2018 governor’s race. Among the four GOP candidates, there is little variation in how each would approach gun regulation — a homogeneity that makes the field’s split opinion over background checks stand out.

It’s the same story in the similarly large Democratic field, though U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, D-Boulder, is the closest thing to an outlier in either party. How the issue affects his candidacy could reveal the degree to which gun-control groups have gained influence on the left.

Full article at Link

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

I would like nothing better but I fear that might not go the way you or I would like to see it go.

Migration to the Denver area - really anywhere urban-ish in Colorado - doesn't seem to be slowing down and, from what I observed firsthand through early this year and what friends still there report, it's not making Colorado's purple any redder.

Given the attitudes I encountered there I'm surprised the libertarian party isn't an actual force in state politics, but on reflection that seems par for the course for libertarian politicians. Mad

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

I would like nothing better but I fear that might not go the way you or I would like to see it go.

Migration to the Denver area - really anywhere urban-ish in Colorado - doesn't seem to be slowing down and, from what I observed firsthand through early this year and what friends still there report, it's not making Colorado's purple any redder.

Given the attitudes I encountered there I'm surprised the libertarian party isn't an actual force in state politics, but on reflection that seems par for the course for libertarian politicians. Mad

The fact that these gun laws are an issue in the race is encouraging. As opposed to, "well, it's the status quo, so we have to live with them now."

Colorado has always been more of an independent/libertarian state. We used to be red in terms of presidential elections, but Democrats have occupied the governor's mansion more times and longer than Republicans have, over the past 50+ years. Although, in the past, those Democratic governors were somewhat conservative.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post