SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    seeking air compressor advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

seeking air compressor advice Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I'm researching air compressors and I could use some advice since I know little about them.

Requirements

1) Between 6.5 and 7.5 SCFM @ 90 psi. No more needed, but these are the minimum.
2) shop stand or portable doesn't matter.
3) decent quality name brand, no generics or harbor freight etc, but doesn't need to be top quality
4) electric only, preferrable 115v 15-20A, but can hire electrician if more needed
5) I will be using this for impact wrench and under hood venturi vacuum tool, and possibly later other air tools for automotive use. But no large painting projects.
6) no oil-less compressors, must be oiled type for less noise and longer life.
7) less or no more than a grand if possible

Since I don't know much about air compressors any advice is appreciated like brands to get or brands to avoid, specific recommendations, or any other advice about air compressors in general and anything else I don't know enough to ask.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8693 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Tall bill to fill with much of that list especially the price and voltage.
Best deal I found two years back was Tractor supply.
60 gallon ,220 volt upright,and cast iron two stage compressor,for around $800.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been happy with my Makita 2400 but it doesn’t achieve the minimum cfm you want at 90 psi. You might want to check their 5200 since it looks like it might just barely make it.

Posts: 1180 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought this a few months back.

I needed something quiet for in the house. I use it for my shoe box compressor to charge up my air tank for pcp air rifles. So far it has been fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with that cfm and psi limitation you will be right at the edge of 220v compressors. Having been down that edge before. just figure on getting a 220, I burned out two ingersol rand 110v compressors in seattle trying to make them perform at that level. The 220v i had from them was fantastic.

Here are california air companies 4 hp 220v units

https://www.californiaairtools...pressors/cat-20040c/

https://www.californiaairtools...essors/cat-60040cad/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Tall bill to fill with much of that list especially the price and voltage.
Best deal I found two years back was Tractor supply.
60 gallon ,220 volt upright,and cast iron two stage compressor,for around $800.

I agree with 45 Cal - 110V for those specs might be hard to find.

I've got a 220V 60 gal Porter Cable that I purchased at Fleet Farm 15 years ago that meets all your specs except the 110V.

It looks a lot like this Dewalt from Tractor Supply for $490, except mine is red Smile

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This is one of those products where you pick your price moreso than picking a brand. A $150 compressor is the same quality no matter who’s name is on it, while $800 gets a certain quality whether it’s Ingersol Rand or Quincy.

For your needs, I’d look at a wheel barrel style dual tank. Emglo, RolAire, IR, etc. I have an Emglo or that style that I got at a pawn shop for $125.

I think Emglo makes the Dewalt line now.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the Husky 60 Gal. compressor at Home Depot and neither my husband nor I have regretted it. He can grind forever without running out of air, which our old Grainger 20 gal. 2 HP compressor couldn't dream of doing.

60 Gal upright
220v
3.7 HP oil-lube motor
40 PSI - 13.4 CFM
90 PSI - 11.5 CFM

"new lower price" $499 (I got it on sale for less)

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I was shopping for a compressor a few months back.
I also did not want another oil-less compressor because of the noise.
I stumbled upon this compressor, it was not what I wanted but i thought for my needs, about the same as you,it would work.
It is VERY quite, and does all I need it for.
la-261252920057_c_9021735&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3IPgBRCAARIsABb-iGLtpX6ETwzOzmQDD6VNCCpBD8ocuTmPPTuJE9tVxx2EwV_svbA4FhMaAuK2EALw_wcB" target="_blank">https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobal...vbA4FhMaAuK2EALw_wcB

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is going to be a bit of an offbase reply. First unless you are dealing with 3/4" impact tools which will never run on the SCFM you specified the current battery tools will beat an air impact tool of the type that can run of the SCFM you listed all day long. And a vacuum tool is 1/2 of the scfm you listed.
I'd be inclined to go for less air which opens up lots of items that might run on 115v.
I prefer IR stuff simply because the parts channel is pretty good even on the smaller stuff (the parts channel is good for everyone who makes big stuff)> But I actually use one of these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ma...or-MAC2400/202713485 for my simple around the house stuff. Yes I own a much larger IR motor driven compressor, but I really only use it on stuff you don't care about (air sanding, painting, sand blasting, large impact etc.)

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been doing a bit of research whilst sitting through a rather b-grade Christmas movie with the love of my life. It would appear they jump from 120VAC units that do no more than around 5 CFM @ 90 PSI, to 240VAC, single phase units that deliver 10 CFM or better at 90 PSI. Units in that later group can be had for less than $600 from both IR, at Tractor Supply, and Kobalt, at Lowe's.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I spent about $625 at Tyler Tool for a great DeWalt. Check their site and see what you like.

https://www.tylertool.com/on/d...138f9f7bdb143e650432

I'm amazed at how quiet it is too.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The poster that suggested the California Quiet
compresor is right. I bought the small one and it
really is quiet! I use mine in my small (supposed
to be a golf cart garage...I don't play golf) shop
for guns and a few other things. In that small area
the "quiet" is really there.
Home Depot sold them (four years ago anyway ) but didn't have my small one on display. Ordered mine and picked up at my local Home Depot.
I've never regretted this purchase. Have had two other small ones of other well known brands and they were LOUD.
This will run small air tools. For big stuff they make those too.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bit overkill for your needs, but you can get this one 'and' a $100 gift card at Northern Tool, and it would provide room to grow.

https://www.northerntool.com/s..._200641297_200641297

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I've been real happy with my Rolair portable. This portable one meets your minimum requirement Rolair but they have higher output stationary ones.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I used to have a portable Rolair until it was stolen. Rolair is the real deal, super heavy-duty and tough.

My brother dropped one out of the back of his pickup going 70mph. It was totally beat up, but worked for several years after that. It was one with the pancake tank turned vertically and the cage encompassing the compressor. That's probably what saved it. Rolair equipment is made to be thrown around in the back of a truck with ladders and all kinds of other stuff thrown on top. Very industrial, not inexpensive.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe a bit overkill for your needs

you did see the request for 115v right.
Once you get to 220 and 30 amps almost anything will do the job on SCFM.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Maybe a bit overkill for your needs

you did see the request for 115v right.
Once you get to 220 and 30 amps almost anything will do the job on SCFM.
I saw the request, but given a few of the aforementioned posts, I thought the conversation had moved to 220v.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
This is going to be a bit of an offbase reply. First unless you are dealing with 3/4" impact tools which will never run on the SCFM you specified the current battery tools will beat an air impact tool of the type that can run of the SCFM you listed all day long. And a vacuum tool is 1/2 of the scfm you listed.
I'd be inclined to go for less air which opens up lots of items that might run on 115v.
I prefer IR stuff simply because the parts channel is pretty good even on the smaller stuff (the parts channel is good for everyone who makes big stuff)> But I actually use one of these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ma...or-MAC2400/202713485 for my simple around the house stuff. Yes I own a much larger IR motor driven compressor, but I really only use it on stuff you don't care about (air sanding, painting, sand blasting, large impact etc.)

I just bought this new release Husky 4.5 gal for $149 on sale at Home Depot. Its super quiet.
It probably doesn't meet your needs but others reading this thread might be interested.
I think its basically identical to another similar model by California Air Tools.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hu...or-3320445/305026725

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
I've been real happy with my Rolair portable. This portable one meets your minimum requirement Rolair but they have higher output stationary ones.

I think I just found my next compressor Smile. Thanks, Blackmore!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post