SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoke Detector Time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoke Detector Time Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Checking out the detectors in the house found two that went kaput, they are non battery backed up hard wired units.

So it's time to replace them, of course nowdays you can get them with interconnectivity, wireless, both smoke and carbon detectors.

Any recommendations, I have a nest thermostat, it works great but not sure the Nest smoke detector is worth the $120 price, are there other smoke detectors that wire in, with battery backup, that also offer connection to an app.

Still not sure why I'd need an app to receive an alert from a detector that should be sending out an obnoxiously loud noise other than to know it's on when I'm out of the house...

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily a recommendation on brand, but I had hardwired units with 9 volt battery backup. I replaced them with units that take two AA. Battery replacement is much less costly now.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I put in a bunch of the 10-year Kidde sealed battery units this past October. They were around 20 bucks each. Works for me and not having to worry about changing batteries every year is a plus.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Use Kidde or FirstAlert, they are the major players.

A few questions:

1) Do you have any gas appliances or furnace? Fireplace?

2) Do you have units in bedrooms, or just one per floor?

3) When removing the units so you see a red wire connected to the units?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my Nest Smoke Detectors. Solved many problems with the traditional wired detectors. Black Friday sales are typically $99.00.

Make sure your wireless router has enough range to the job though.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

A few questions:

1) yes stovetop

2) one floor 3 units none in bedrooms

3) the unit I have off is yellow white and black wires

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

A few questions:

1) yes stovetop

2) one floor 3 units none in bedrooms

3) the unit I have off is yellow white and black wires

Is the yellow connected to a red house wire?

Also, lay out of house, and number of bedrooms? For example mine is four bedrooms, three upstairs, no middle floor, one downstairs. Do you have a art room, play room, or gun room that is closed off from rest of house by a door?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The ten year sealed units with internal battery and not wired, only lasted me 18 months to 2-years before they started beeping. I HIGHLY recommend not buying them.

Just replace them with wired with AA backup.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have wired smoke detectors connected to the alarm system, one per floor, as well as wired, interconnected smoke detectors for every floor and bedroom (Kidde brand I believe). Every year on whatever day is “fall-back” this was ingrained as a date in my memory by a former paramedic turned ER attending in my residency, who came to our meeting that time every year to remind us all to change the batteries), I change all the backup 9-volt batteries - Costco always puts them on sale in the fall, plus Amazon Basics now sells inexpensive 9 volts as well. I have a battery powered CO detector on all floors and each occupied bedroom as well - their AA batteries get changed that day as well, as do my battery powered safe locks and emergency weather radio. It’s pretty cheap insurance that can save you and your families lives.

I also have install dates written on the detectors, most have a ten year lifespan, to be changed out when that time comes.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I have wired smoke detectors connected to the alarm system, one per floor, as well as wired, interconnected smoke detectors for every floor and bedroom (Kidde brand I believe). Every year on whatever day is “fall-back” this was ingrained as a date in my memory by a former paramedic turned ER attending in my residency, who came to our meeting that time every year to remind us all to change the batteries), I change all the backup 9-volt batteries - Costco always puts them on sale in the fall, plus Amazon Basics now sells inexpensive 9 volts as well. I have a battery powered CO detector on all floors and each occupied bedroom as well - their AA batteries get changed that day as well, as do my battery powered safe locks and emergency weather radio. It’s pretty cheap insurance that can save you and your families lives.

I also have install dates written on the detectors, most have a ten year lifespan, to be changed out when that time comes.

Wise.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The ten year sealed units with internal battery and not wired, only lasted me 18 months to 2-years before they started beeping. I HIGHLY recommend not buying them.

I am a strong advocate against LION batt SDs, unless your ONLY option is battery only SDs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I am a strong advocate against LION batt SDs, unless your ONLY option is battery only SDs.

My experience, is having a number of clients who are fed up with line voltage hardwired units, and that the sealed battery units work as advertised. This is over years and numerous clients.

For my part, in my own home, my choice is a monitored alarm system with low voltage units.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27013 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Arc, we will have to disagree. Smoke detectors are something I feel strongly about. Doing nothing but service work I end up changing hundreds of smoke detectors every year. Sealed lithium ion battery smoke detectors fail a lot in my experience. The battery savings are a lie too, the hardwired ones don't use their batteries unless you have a power outage, so you really don't even need to change them every year. More like every 3-4 years and I've seen many go eight+ years before they start chirping for low battery.

I also don't subscribe to the theory that alarm company SDs are enough. SDs should be in every bedroom. Do you really want a fire in a bedroom with closed door to get to the point that sets off hallway smoke detectors? If you wait that long your escape path is likely blocked.

I always tell my customers, alarm company SDs are nice, they protect your stuff, but hardwired ones protect you. Great to have in addition to real ones, but not as a substitute.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
If a fella wanted to have an EXPERT update his smoke detector and CO2 monitoring equipment, who would he call?

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've had to remove any smoke detectors in our kitchens. My wife likes to cook everything on high. We once had a dog who would go into hiding whenever my wife entered the kitchen. She was certain the loud beeping alarm would soon be sounding.

Our current house had hardwired detectors installed by the builder. Over time, I've replaced them all with battery powered only. The only issue is here in AZ, we don't have a spring forward or fall back time, so I added a repeating yearly reminder to my calendar app that sends me an email alert.

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
If a fella wanted to have an EXPERT update his smoke detector and CO2 monitoring equipment, who would he call?

If you live in Northern VA, that would be me.

If not any electrician can install them. I can guide you to what to buy if you need it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If not any electrician can install them. I can guide you to what to buy if you need it.

Midlothian. I figured the electrician would be the one to install the hardwired detectors but I wasn't sure every electrician would know where all they need to be and which CO2 monitors would be needed. We have a gas range and gas water heaters and a handful of gas fireplaces throughout the home. Are there general rules of thumb to the layout?

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Midlothian. I figured the electrician would be the one to install the hardwired detectors but I wasn't sure every electrician would know where all they need to be and which CO2 monitors would be needed. We have a gas range and gas water heaters and a handful of gas fireplaces throughout the home. Are there general rules of thumb to the layout?

Do you have existing detectors at all? In the bedrooms? Layout of house - 1, 2, 3 floors? Bedrooms on which floors? Any play room, art room, gun room, etc. that has a door but not considered bedroom?

In general they are placed in every bedroom, areas outside of bedrooms, if over 25' then multiple outside of the bedrooms. One per floor regardless of bedrooms. CO detectors are placed outside of the bedrooms if larger than 25' between rooms a second is added. So people like to also install them near sources for CO, but it's not required.

For example in my house I have upper floor 3 bedrooms all from same hallway, so that's four total. The bedrooms are SDs, the hallway Combo SD and CO. Basement has one bedroom suit, SD in bedroom, combo outside of bedroom in hall to bath and a third one in the area outside of the suit for a total of five SDs and two Combo units.

Seems like a lot for the tiny house I have, but I like not dying in an inferno, plus it's code.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Costco just had the nest detectors on sale as a pair for $199 I believe.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arc, we will have to disagree. Smoke detectors are something I feel strongly about. Doing nothing but service work I end up changing hundreds of smoke detectors every year. Sealed lithium ion battery smoke detectors fail a lot in my experience. The battery savings are a lie too, the hardwired ones don't use their batteries unless you have a power outage, so you really don't even need to change them every year. More like every 3-4 years and I've seen many go eight+ years before they start chirping for low battery.

I also don't subscribe to the theory that alarm company SDs are enough. SDs should be in every bedroom. Do you really want a fire in a bedroom with closed door to get to the point that sets off hallway smoke detectors? If you wait that long your escape path is likely blocked.

I always tell my customers, alarm company SDs are nice, they protect your stuff, but hardwired ones protect you. Great to have in addition to real ones, but not as a substitute.

Like I said, in my house it's low voltage units on a monitored alarm system.

As far as other peoples homes, I just give them what they want. For some reason I've had a lot of clients plagued by repeated false alarms on the line voltage units. If the sealed lithium units have been failing, it's not something I've had warrantee calls about.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27013 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post