SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two part animal ( house pet) transport inquiry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two part animal ( house pet) transport inquiry Login/Join 
posted
Bonnie absolutely , positively has to go to Mesa ,Az in the spring.

I am asking here to see if anyone here has gone to their vet to get some anti anxiety drug for their cat or dog , to keep them from going bat shit crazy when flying in the cabin.

three adoption places recommended calling a vet fot the drugs.

part two:

is there a data base , online or otherwise
that one could contact about transport the dog for her ?

seems like 9 million snow birds heading south for three months would know about such a resource.

thank you in advance for any amount of attention you give this.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Are you positive the animal needs medication?

I had a labrador retriever shipped on a plane from Michigan to Phoenix with no medications of any kind. He was fine when I picked him up.

Here's a couple of places that do shipping for animals.

https://www.petrelocation.com/...-EAAYAiAAEgIVV_D_BwE

https://www.happytailstravel.com/

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Our vet prescribed meds for our cats when we flew them from CA to NC when we moved here. It was very worthwhile.

Not sure what the second question is about. Are you saying she wants to ship the dog back and forth, rather than taking it along on her flight?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
correct Joel.

Rosie is a 9 pound miniture, 11 y.o. fox terrier.
thunder or heavy rain on the roof gets her panting and close to hyper ventilating .

Bonnies concern is for the other passengers comfort. as well as rosie's

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know someone who just had two cats transported from California to Massachusetts about a week ago. I'll see what company she used.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
When we flew our Cats, we got Gabapentin from the Vet. Seemed to work pretty good. They were awake but "very sleeply".

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was living in the NJ area years ago. A friend was relocating to California. He left his nasty, evil, foul-tempered cat with me while he was looking for a place to live.

Once he got settled, he made arrangements with a United Airlines Sky Waitress to transport the cat. I fed the cat a valium tablet that my friend had left with me for that purpose; the cat became very compliant.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
USPS flat rate box "if it fits, it ships"

We do have some meds our vet prescribes when our Frenchie when he gets his claws done, he gets pissed and nippy without it. I will have to ask my wife what it's called

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Our German shepherd takes Trazodone for anxiety around fireworks. It’s the same stuff they give people or anxiety. Just kinda zones him out so that stuff doesn’t bother him and he doesn’t pant, pace, slobber, lose his fur…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Vet gave us gabapentin for our cats before we moved. One died before we moved and my wife flew the other cat without me. I know the one cat who passed got extremely dopey off the dose they had us give him before his vet appointment. He was always very compliant when I was around, but even drugged, wouldn’t let the staff there touch him. When my wife flew, she checked the other cat at the ticket counter.

Are you coming to Mesa also?

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of our labs gets trazodone for every lengthy car trip.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those choosing to help out.

Am trying to find an affordable ( to me) place for the month of March.

The first nine places were no where near acceptable.

I know, I know wrong time of year for bargains on rent

If I do find a place , the dog won't be an issue.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I can appreciate that. My wife and I just found a house to rent and it’s twice anything we’ve ever paid. I hope you find something decent!

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
We give our boys (80 lbs ea Boxers) 1/2 a Trazodone pill when we head out on the road with the travel trailer. It just chills them out enough so the don’t jump up every time I use a turn signal. We have them each a whole pill once and they could barely walk.
All based on weight of course. Good luck!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Do make sure to test the meds before the flight.

My wife and I tried to fly her parents’ dog to them once.

Because the dog (although very sweet) was generally pretty anxious and whiny, they got some kind of anxiety med (can’t remember what, but a common one also used for people) from their vet.

We did not test the med first. It cranked the dog up to 11, the dog went absolutely ballistic and couldn’t get on the plane.

Apparently some dogs (and some people) have literally the exact opposite reaction to some anxiety meds.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I’ve had vets prescribe “calm” pills before. Talk to her vet.

As for flying with a pet, that size can stay on a carrier and fit under the seat in front of you. I think American and United maybe. You’d have to check.

Outside of that, I would argue against using a company for an 11 year old dog, little old for the amount of stress involved.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
correct Joel.

Rosie is a 9 pound miniture, 11 y.o. fox terrier.
thunder or heavy rain on the roof gets her panting and close to hyper ventilating .

Bonnies concern is for the other passengers comfort. as well as rosie's
So, Bonnies's on the hook for tranks for the passengers and crew too? Please let us know how that works out!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a note back from my friend who had her two cats moved from California to Massachusetts. Google Citizen Shipper.

Independent drivers who will bid on the transport. Each driver has been rated on earlier transports.

Her two cats made it coast to coast in less than a week and appear none the worse for wear.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Bonnie absolutely , positively has to go to Mesa ,Az in the spring.

I am asking here to see if anyone here has gone to their vet to get some anti anxiety drug for their cat or dog , to keep them from going bat shit crazy when flying in the cabin.

three adoption places recommended calling a vet fot the drugs.

part two:

is there a data base , online or otherwise
that one could contact about transport the dog for her ?

seems like 9 million snow birds heading south for three months would know about such a resource.

thank you in advance for any amount of attention you give this.

our dog handler also does transport. I know she is not cheap but very dependable.

if interested in her contact info shoot me a email(shawn.buehlerATgmail.com)

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
bendable,

Just saw the thread, sorry for the late post.

I generally stick with Gabapentin for cats, Trazadone for dogs. That said, the vet will likely want to do an exam prior to prescribing (unless they have a very recent exam), as any health conditions they find may affect the dosage and choice of meds.

There are myriad shipping companies out there, if you aren't traveling with. Flights, over the road, etc. I believe that there are several options to have pets flown without being accompanied, where someone just arrives at the airport to sign for the receipt of the pet being flown in. Honestly that part is fuzzy for me, as I'm only involved up to the point of meds (if needed) and health certificates.

On that note, don't forget to have a health certificate done, as all domestic flights will require one. These days they are all electronic (and a royal PITA), and there's a butt ton of info required by the gov to allow the vet to process the certificate. Be prepared for 2-3 conversations as they gather all the info. Smile

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post