SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hershey’s Chocolate
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hershey’s Chocolate Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I found some Aldi German milk chocolate in the cabinet and ate it and it was pretty good, very smooth and tasted just like a good milk chocolate should. Found a few Hershey Kisses and ate them after the Aldi stuff and they were chalky and tasted inferior.

Has Hershey’s chocolate changed or is it just the German stuff is always better?

Posts: 33891 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Hershey's tastes waxy to me,

Aldi's brand, Milka, Cadbury (the English Cadbury, not the contracted thru Hershey's US made stuff) all taste 10x's better than Hershey's,

however, Palmer's is even worse

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hershey's has always been harsh tasting to me compared to say, Nestle's. I still like it okay, but not as smooth for sure.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38724 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hershey is one step above generic easter chocolate.

I had some Dove chocolate and was pleasantly surprised at the creaminess.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

however, Palmer's is even worse

I’m not sure that’s even considered real chocolate. It’s more like brown colored wax with artificial chocolate flavor. Confused

Posts: 33891 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hershey's "chocolate" is brown colored, vaguely-chocolate-flavored, sugar and Lord-knows-what-else. I don't know what's in it, but I doubt there's much actual chocolate.

(My wife just walked in as I was writing this. "Guy wants to know about Hershey's chocolate," I said. "Hershey's what?" she replied )

Decent chocolate that won't break the bank: Coceur brand dark and milk chocolate from Aldi. Pound Plus bars from Trader Joe's.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My wife used to work at Hershey Chocolate in Hershey PA. Lord she smelled good when she came home from work.

Corrected for spelling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Hershey's chocolate is OK, but I like Nestle's better (but not as available here). Cadbury's is much better.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Hershey's used to have parafin in it, not sure if it still does.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hershey's chocolate is not what I would consider "good" chocolate.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Hershey tried marketing their product in Europe, and it failed miserably. Too much competition from the "real" thing.

I believe that Hershey can't even by called chocolate legally there, as the cocoa content is too low.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
My wife use to work at Hershey Chocolate in Hershey PA. Lord she smelled good when she came home from work.

I drove thru Hershey more than several times. The whole town smells good.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I believe Hershey's chocolate has different recipes in their nuggets, big bars, and even the thin bars. Possibly due to the hardness needed for different packaging.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6323 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Hershey's Chocolate was mixed to minimize melting in the package, and to be produced in a cost efficient manner.

European chocolate was produced for quality and taste over price.

The two are just not in the same category.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I believe Hershey's chocolate has different recipes in their nuggets, big bars, and even the thin bars. Possibly due to the hardness needed for different packaging.

That could well be. I love the regular thin Hershey bars, but the Kisses and Nuggets and a lot of the other stuff is a different texture and taste too. Dove and Cadbury are very good. Nestle I don't think I ever see around here, except for hot chocolate mix.

Posts: 7275 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the 'different recipe' theory. I've eaten lots of the thin bars WIT' and loved them, every last one. And even the ones WIT'OUT almonds. Kisses for baking or melting for hot chocolate.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Euphoria Choc Co

SIGnature

Posts: 6323 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are only two acceptable uses for Hershey bars. One is obviously s’mores. The other is putting it in the freezer and then when the mood strikes, grabbing a knife and the peanut butter jar and making your own peanut butter cups.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hershey’s doesn’t taste like you remember it as a kid because in 2008 they ruined most of their products by removing most of the cocoa butter and replacing it with vegetable oil as a cost saving measure

Posts: 408 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Hershey’s doesn’t taste like you remember it as a kid because in 2008 they ruined most of their products by removing most of the cocoa butter and replacing it with vegetable oil as a cost saving measure

Years ago Mother (now 96) cooked and baked all sorts of great things. She would get a huge Hershey bar the size of a rectangular cake pan. 10x16x1 or thereabouts. That was good chocolate. I stole lots of it. Got in lots of trouble for that.

SIGnature