SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are scrap metals down so low?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are scrap metals down so low? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I've heard our steel industry is stronger now against imports. A friend tells me when gas prices rise, so does scrap metals. Aluminum at $.20 per pound. Scrap wires at $.20 per pound. What is causing the scrap metals prices to drop down? Are you turning in scrap metals for money? What are you being paid per pound? What's your thoughts? Thank you.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I've heard our steel industry is stronger now against imports. A friend tells me when gas prices rise, so does scrap metals. Aluminum at $.20 per pound. Scrap wires at $.20 per pound. What is causing the scrap metals prices to drop down? Are you turning in scrap metals for money? What are you being paid per pound? What's your thoughts? Thank you.

Last I heard China wasn't buying so market prices plunged. But this could be old news by now.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They go hand in hand with fuel prices for whatever reason. So when gas prices are down, so are all of the scrap commodities for whatever reason. I just kind of build up scrap and when the prices rise, I take it to the recycler.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Friend says fuel prices are up some but metals are very low. Its beyond me as I dont scrap.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friend says fuel prices are up some but metals are very low. Its beyond me as I dont scrap.

I never was before until scrap prices were really high. BUT, it's surprising how easy it is to accumulate $100-200 in scrap in a few months without going out of your way looking for it...…...an old car battery is $15-20. A pound of brass $2-2.50, a few stainless screws here.....a few pieces of this there...…..

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is causing the scrap metals prices to drop down?

Supply and demand.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
quote:

Last I heard China wasn't buying so market prices plunged. But this could be old news by now.

China bought too much and had to start selling. They ended up depressing the prices with the volume they moved.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I believe the China story and glut on the market is the cause. Recycling in general is in a huge slump, our town cancelled the program and now everything goes as trash.

My local metals dealer closed due, I suspect, to shady business practices as much as depressed prices.

Next nearest dealer is 50+ miles away. At current prices, I can't haul enough to pay for the gas.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post