SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Overreaction at the range?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overreaction at the range? Login/Join 
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
That dude was a total fucking drama queen. He should have handled it quiety, man to man, and it would have been nothing but a lesson for your son.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an ass...without piling on the woulda-shoulda, the shooting sports has over the decades has become very codified regarding safety, and for good reason. Everybody (if you're serious about shooting) should have a baseline understanding of what's expected and to insure the safety of all around to include yourself.

As part of this process building and adherence, there's individuals who aren't inherently process oriented they've locked themselves into 'the shooting process' so deeply, that they're inflexible or, obstinate to see the bigger picture of the situation. Add in a dose of I know more than you attitudes and the need that every lesson needs to be severe, harsh and demonstrative and we have these range-commando's who give the sport a black-eye.

While gun sweep deserve some stern words, particularly if the violator was unknowing and not reckless, he had a chance to be a helpful adult to a child learning, instead he choose to be dramatic, and give threats.

Posts: 14715 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
kid is finger fucking a gun the entire time you are down range.

I should be clear, I wasn't downrange. I went back to the truck to get targets to cover the holes. Nobody was downrange. If you could identify the violation, he broke the 180 degree line.

I was only away from the firing line for about 30 seconds in the opposite direction from the targets. They were only emptying the spent casings from the cylinder. No loading happens while anyone is downrange and nobody handles any firearms when anyone is downrange.

He wasn't disinterested in shooting, he was just entertaining himself while I was zeroing rifles and he was patiently waiting his turn.

Sorry, I was being unclear. I wasn't trying to argue the facts. I was suggesting that you look at the situation from the other guy's perspective. Imagine that's how the guy went home and posted on his local shooting forum or reddit page or whatever.

Like I said, I think he was overreacting. He should have called you out on it and just said, "You gotta keep an eye on your kid, I don't want anyone getting hurt."

Or maybe even, "Hey, we all agreed that these safety rules were important. I think your son should sit out on shooting for a bit and maybe review the safety rules."

If it were a commercial range, the range officer would be well within rights to have you guys removed from the lanes if the range officer wanted. It's still a safety violation, but probably not how I would have handled it.

While I get looking at it from the other guys perspective, are you saying that the other guy was justified in the position that "If this was a square range I'd have drawn on (shot?) that kid!"? No, because you're sane.

The thing is, when you have a gun, YOU HAVE TO BE REASONABLE AND THINKING AT ALL TIMES. That's true with son, Daughter, Benny, and Dude.

Benny's son needed to learn a lesson, but that lesson would be dictated by Benny and Daughter and not outsider. They are the two who could calmly assess facts and make the decision regarding the rule infraction. Guy could have put his $.02 in, calmly. Daughter should never have excused the violation IN THAT WAY. Maybe should have said, Hey dude, we had no idea you were there and both of us believed safe (or whatever, devil is in the details which I don't have enough of BUT understand that its not my role to determine, it's Benny's).

Benny did the right thing because he tried to regulate the situation, determine what happened, and when the dude crossed the line, he backed up his kids (and sometimes a well placed "fuck you you fucking fuckball (or whatever salty talk is appropriate)" is just the right thing).

Just my opinion.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1966 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I kinda wonder if the guy has an issue, where he has to intervene himself whenever he sees:

1] Kids
--and/or--
2] 25 YO females.

Isn't the first rodeo for this guy.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10957 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guy was a jerk whose reaction was way over the top especially when a young kid was involved. Some people are just looking for an excuse to be offended or pissed off about something so they can act up. A mature adult would have kept calm and used the incident as a teaching moment to reinforce gun safety with your son instead he flew off the handle and acted like a jackass. I think your response was appropriate, you first tried to reason with the idiot and when that didn't work you reacted a bit more aggressive which unfortunately is the only reaction some people need to get their attention.

Posts: 1635 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post