SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Overreaction at the range?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overreaction at the range? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I know it's not right and should not happen but I've been swept many times by both novices and folks who are very familiar with firearm safety..... and I'm sure I've done it (at least once).... in the OP's story when they guy said he would pull his weapon on someone who accidentally swept him.... that both tells what kind of person he is and answers who really at fault in the conflict.

The best thing about the four rules in safe firearm handling is one has to violate at least two of them for a bad thing to happen. Violate just one at a time and everyone should still be able to go home happy.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Some people have a hard time being a rational human being and this guy seems to be one. I'm an RSO and the way it was handled by you and your daughter is fine. The purpose is to instruct the shooter so they understand the implications of safety and they stop the incorrect action and it sounds like your son got that. Safety issues can be fatal but the reality is that they happen frequently, I only have issues when the violator does not stop acting unsafe. It also sounds like Mr drama queen has a big mouth and likes attention.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
he would have drawn his gun on the offender.

As an RSO, at that point he would have been banned from the range.

Yes, the 11 year old made a mistake but yelling and screaming will not help the situation.

Posts: 7025 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Fuck that guy.

Pretty much sums it up for me. My reaction would have been similar to yours, if not a bit larger in magnitude. Everyone makes mistakes, especially kids. He turned what should have been a teachable moment into a shit show.

My response to him demanding that your son be done for the day would be that he could choose to go the hell home.

Bingo, well said!

Honestly, I think that making the boy be done shooting for the day based upon what was described as happening would also be over the top. It sounds like the sweep was immediately corrected and only occurred for a fraction of a second. This wasn’t a well defined indoor range with barriers between shooting positions, etc. it was an ad hoc setup outdoors. From what the OP is describing, I absolutely do not see this as an egregious safety violation.

Also, I hate when people say something like, “all Guns are always loaded,” because it simply isn’t true. I have no problem treating guns as if they are loaded, but saying all guns are always loaded is technically inaccurate and in my opinion promotes negative connotations for those that aren’t familiar with firearms. If all guns were truly always loaded then there would be no safe way to take them apart for cleaning, service, etc. Saying such things makes gun owners sound stupid, as if we aren’t able to be trusted to follow procedures to make a machine safe for certain operations. Honestly, this guy sounds like someone that I’d rather not have around my child when I’m instructing them about firearms even if he didn’t blow up and lose his temper. I think if he uses such absolute terms around new shooters that he’s doing our sport a tremendous disservice.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5584 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The second he said he would have drawn down on your kid he lost all credibility.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3479 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
Also, I hate when people say something like, “all Guns are always loaded,” because it simply isn’t true.

Agree. If it were true Glock owners in particular would never, ever disassemble their guns for cleaning or any other purpose.

I could go on and on about firearms safety rules, especially the notion that there are only four (“the” four), but I’ll just say that far too many people believe that because they can recite them by rote without a lot of thought such as “they’re always loaded” that they know all there is to know about firearms safety.

As for guns, yes they are dangerous objects if handled improperly; that’s why we have so many safety rules. But the only way to be absolutely, positively certain that we will never be around someone who violates a rule is to never be around someone (including ourselves) who is handling a gun. That doesn’t mean we should ignore such violations, but there are reasonable and unreasonable ways of reacting to and correcting them. I’ve been teaching people about firearms and many other subjects for over 50 years and I’ve never once felt that I’d get a lesson across better by screaming at someone or by reducing him to tears.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47423 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was a Small Arms Instructor in the service and when I was a cop I was swept repeatedly, by other cops…shheeesh.

Dude lost any credibility when he said he would shoulda coulda…

I saw a RO get swept while a shooter was firing in USPSA, but the RO had gotten into the shooters way and it was the ROs fault. Shooter was not DQd. There was a safety stand down for a few minutes.

This is why I only go shoot at my range and can get a shooting bay, no one else will inadvertently sweep me or my family.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11312 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Presumably, the guy was invited as well.

Did you ask if it was ok to bring your son and daughter? Did anybody else bring their kids? How big of a group of people? What was discussed by the group prior to shooting getting started? Were folks introduced to one another? Were shooting areas discussed? I’m curious what people’s expectations were.

“I want my son to have fun out there, not just the adults.”
“My son later said he didn't even know she was there.”

If no introductions were made and no one else knew your daughter was a Marine, then the guy was a bully who jumped at the opportunity to prove it when he saw a young woman with a preteen boy off on their own. Your son not knowing he was there is not on your son or daughter. Like you mentioned, he should have made himself known when he entered their area. He set them up for failure.

It doesn’t sound like this was a family event. The case could be made that you are responsible for your guests and you weren’t there to see what happened. Perhaps your daughter could have been sent to the truck to fetch the targets allowing you to stay with your son. I’m not blaming you or your family, but rather thinking out loud how to avoid people like that guy in the future.

Posts: 11045 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Life is full of Facebook drama queens.

Muzzle discipline is the one thing I’ll send you home for. But, there’s a calm, and rational way to handle it. This dirtbag isn’t it.

That dude just didn’t have his ass beat enough when he was a child.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds like everyone over-reacted

in retrospect you should not have left your son unattended

glad no one was hurt -- time to move on

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Learning experience for your kid. Drive home why there was an issue and the importance of always being aware of the muzzle and how dangerous guns are.

I, myself, have drawn down on hundreds of folks who have swept me and left a trail of bodies in three states of those I had to shoot. I haven’t had to plug a kid yet though…. Yet. Roll Eyes In case your sarcasm meter isn’t working what I am trying to say is other guy was a Delta Bravo in the highest regard. Jackass.

Like I said just use as a learning experience for your son and move on.

Christ has that dude EVER been to a gun shop or gun show. Jesus he would have to walk the area at low ready in preparation for all the people he would need to draw down on. Did I mention….jackass.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7708 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Considering it was a kid, yeah he probably over reacted. But some people have bad days. Some people more going on that you may realize.

Having worked a bunch of years at a very large, busy public range, I often have to explain things to people in a way they didn't see it. People will often say to me "I made one little mistake and the RO freaked out on me." I tell them, you need to understand, your one little mistake was his 17th little mistake of the morning. The 152nd little mistake on the week so far and etc, etc.

Posts: 21130 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The guy is clearly a wannabe badass. You did well not punching him in the face imo.

He could have irreparably hurt your kids passion for firearms. In fact, it will be interesting to see how your kid reacts when you want to take him shooting the next time. I'm sure you will handle that well but I wouldn't be surprised if he's reluctant at first.

As far as muzzle sweeps, they're pretty far down the list of violations imo. Not saying they're just acceptable, but they happen A LOT. Firearms safety is really a result of layers of redundancy in training so that when one breaks a rule, the other keep things safe. Because rule breakages are inevitable whether you're at the range, at the LGS, in the field, in combat, etc.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10503 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If I had a nickle for everytime I've been swept, I would have more nickels.

I do not like it one bit, but I know the context of each incident, and "freaking out" does nothing useful.

The response to each should be in a manner that reinforces proper practice to become good discipline.

Nancy over reacted and I would be more concerned about that individual with a loaded gun than your son.

The only "critique" I have, and it is fully Monday morning quarterbacking, is your reaction.

I understand it, although, that guy provoked it, things could have gone badly if he continued his hysterics.

He should have known better than to entered into there area without announcing he was there. Everyone is ultimately responsible for their own safety, and he failed to announce, which may have prevented the incident.

And, no, your daughter's remark is not off, if it had been me, that would have reduced my anxiety moment, knowing that it was in fact, unloaded.

But that's an arguable point that I would not press on another, just me.

I do believe your son can learn a lot from the whole thing, from awareness of how fast conditions can change, what is and is not in one's control, how other people can become unreasonable quickly, and how to defuse a "hot" situation, as well as not letting such outbursts to impact or create a future "stressor" in ones life.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43939 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I agree that this went from being a teachable situation to a spectacle. Of course, there are rules for a reason, but this guy sounds like a gigantic pussy.

A few years ago I was handling an MPX at the my LGS. Clerk removed it from the rack, cleared it, then put it on the display case for me to handle. I picked it up and was simply looking at the lines of it, I wasn't even handling it as if I were going to shoot it, the gun was pointed perpendicular to me down the show room, one hand on the stock the other on the handguard, basically cradling the gun. An older gentlemen walked in to the line of the gun and when he noticed the muzzle, he jumped out of the way as if an RPG was headed his way. It was like a John Woo movie. It seemed a little dramatic to me, but I understand not being comfortable looking at the barrel of a gun.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
in retrospect you should not have left your son unattended

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
His older sister was nearly shoulder to shoulder with him and on top of it the instant it happened, so he wasn't unattended.

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
my 25 year old daughter (former marine) and my 11 year old son with me.

No further comment about understanding the situation necessary.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47423 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is an overreacting douche. I hope he hasn't put your son off of a fun sport, and constitutional right. That would be the only tragedy coming out of that day.

Go over the rules again with your son, and don't leave him to it even for a minute the next couple times you're there. Edit- I missed the key detail that your daughter is 25! but still I will stand by the don't leave him unattended by you comment. Sis was more than enough supervision though. sorry that was a TLDR issue I get sometimes. Smile

find some fun targets for him if you can, and see what he can do. and remind him that he should be competent with firearms as he grows from boy to teen to man. Coach him and remind him that those uncharacteristic words from you came because the other man was wrong.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember the days BEFORE THE INTERNET. Back then getting swept wasn't worth freaking out about. I also remember at that time you didn't walk around a range with a loaded firearm. In addition if you wanted to show your firearm to another shooter you ALWAYS had it unloaded with the breech obviously OPEN. So, WTF was Mr. Safety thinking when he walked over to your area with a LOADED firearm with the breech closed. I'll also point out that Mr. Safety wouldn't have been looking for that bullet if he and followed the rule that firearms must be unloaded with the breech open when not at the firing line.

So, yeah Mr. Safety was way over the line in his reaction but he was also a violator of one of the Primary Rules for Safety at most shooting ranges.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5675 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Wait, P229 guy and “SAFETY” guy are the same guy? What a giant ass!

Posts: 11045 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
We should all welcome youth to our sport/hobby.

Acting like a Douche is not how an adult does that.
A kid will screw up, creating a "look at me I am being violated" moment is a self serving act by this entitled prick.

I hope your son learns a lesson on how not be a pussy later in life.

HK Ag

Posts: 3510 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post