SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida neighborhood on alert for escaped cobra
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida neighborhood on alert for escaped cobra Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Didn't this happen before, about a year ago?

Wildlife officials in Florida say an Ocala neighborhood should be on alert for a cobra that escaped from a home late last night.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, it was around 9 p.m. Monday when Brian Purdy contacted FWC to warn them that his suphan cobra had escaped from its enclosure. An immediate search by an FWC investigator and even local police and fire officials failed to find the snake, so neighbors were alerted.

The search continues this morning, focusing on the 900 block of NE Ninth Street in Ocala.

“Residents in the area are urged to use caution until this snake has been captured,” an FWC release warned. “Although reclusive by nature, cobras are highly venomous and will strike out if they feel threatened.

FWC says the cobra is about 2 feet in length, with “distinctive multicolor markings.”

If anyone sees the snake, they should remain at a safe distance and immediately call the FWC’s Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-3922 or *FWC or #FWC on cell phones.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...r-escaped-cobra.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How much fun would Florida have if they developed a breeding population of those?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Temperatures here are dropping into the 30s for the next 2 nights, and into the 20s on Thursday. If this critter is outside, he may not survive.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder why the FFWCC allows people to keep these things.

What happens if some one is bitten and dies? Who will get sued, the owner or the FFWCC or both?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just a question. They have laws against civilians owning all sorts of weapons that are perceived to be high risk.
Where does owning a non-native, extremely dangerous snake fall on the scale of good ideas?

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
How much fun would Florida have if they developed a breeding population of those?

Don't even go there. Between the Lionfish and the Pythons and snakeheads it's getting to be pretty bad.

My question is, why on earth are normal people allowed to own non native, highly poisonous snakes and other strange wildlife. Now I can understand zoo's and stuff, but normal people????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

...If anyone sees the snake, they should remain at a safe distance...

I'll just wait here in northern Illinois until they catch the little fucker. Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
A Taurus Judge for EDC doesn't seem so silly now.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Lost: cobra. Answers to the name "biteurass".

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

My question is, why on earth are normal people allowed to own non native, highly poisonous snakes and other strange wildlife. Now I can understand zoo's and stuff, but normal people????

Heck, I was thinking I'd rather have cobras move to Florida than most of the people that do, forum members excluded, of course. And then we can talk about the relative merits of breeding cobras versus breeding Florida rednecks.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4875 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

...If anyone sees the snake, they should remain at a safe distance...

I'll just wait here in northern Illinois until they catch the little fucker. Big Grin

Ain't that the truth. I'd rather deal with these two legged serpent vs. a non legged serpent any day.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
2015: Cobra got loose in Austin after it killed its owner.....an 18 year old kid.

https://austin.com/theres-a-ki...-and-were-terrified/

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There are just some things folks shouldn't be able to own....

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Marlin Perkins: "While Jim hunts the ferocious cobra, I'll get a better vantage point from inside the Waffle House."

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...sounds like some drones air-dropping mongooses is in order...mongooses with Go-Pros Wink

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Mongeeses?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Mongeeses?

Mongi?!?

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
A 2 foot long snake could be really hard to find.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
someone is going to get a surprise

and the owner should be billed for the costs in the search

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Isn't that what they said about the Pythons?

quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
Temperatures here are dropping into the 30s for the next 2 nights, and into the 20s on Thursday. If this critter is outside, he may not survive.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post