SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have a light switch on the wrong side of the door.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a light switch on the wrong side of the door. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Can technology provide a solution other than rewiring it. Do I have options? It is entering an interior room door. Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
You mean the switch is located on the wall outside the room right? Like if you are inside the room and want to turn the light off, you have to exit the room?

And is the light hardwired or is it plugged into an outlet that is controlled by the switch in question?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
If switch is on opposite wall it would be easy to cut a hole for one on the correct side, then mount a new box, move the switch, and install a cover plate on the now empty original box.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
First house we built the douche magoos put the light switch on the wall behind the door when you opened it.
Was pissed but bought one of these mounted the remote switch in the proper place and one never knew the difference.

Lutron Caseta Switch & Remote-Wireless Control | 3-Way Switch | Compatible with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and the Google Assistant | P-PKG1WS-WH | White https://a.co/7YtBbYw

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
"Ain't no use in turning on your light babe I'm on the wrong side of the door"

Sorry, had to do it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8534 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
The only two options I can think of would be to either move the switch to the other side, which isn't too difficult if you have attic access above the switch, or have the door changed to swing the other direction.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
If switch is on opposite wall it would be easy to cut a hole for one on the correct side, then mount a new box, move the switch, and install a cover plate on the now empty original box.

This is what I’d do, but I’d use some 20min hot mud and fix the old hole.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11289 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
which brings up the question... I've rented a beach house and also noticed this on some other houses that all the switches for the bathrooms are outside of the room... the house we rent has three... two for lights and one for an exhaust fan and they are all three ganged together just outside the door.... the only 'illogical' reason I can come up with is the moisture in the bathroom will eventually cause the switches to fail....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just a note that this won’t work with led’s according to the reviews.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6323 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
which brings up the question... I've rented a beach house and also noticed this on some other houses that all the switches for the bathrooms are outside of the room... the house we rent has three... two for lights and one for an exhaust fan and they are all three ganged together just outside the door.... the only 'illogical' reason I can come up with is the moisture in the bathroom will eventually cause the switches to fail....

I think that there are codes that say switch has to be at least 3 feet away from a tub. Some folks may be concerned about standing in some water in a small bathroom and operating the switch as well.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

On the plus side, think of the hilarity you can create from having the switch in that position...

Posts: 23468 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, for some reason I am having my replies disappear when typing them on here?

But the switch is on the inside of the room. Is behind the door when it is opened. So needs to be moved to the other side of the door. Was hoping for some kind of a simple wireless maybe solution.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Lutron Caseta switch and a paired pico remote in a surface mount.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

noticed this on some other houses that all the switches for the bathrooms

Switches outside the room are very common in older houses that may have predated electricity and were retrofitted at some point.

I always have a chuckle at the Brit electricians I see on this one Reddit page who are aghast at us Yanks with our electric switches and receptacles inside the bathroom. They are prohibited there but then they go do crazy stuff like have mini 230V electric point of service water heaters RIGHT IN THE SHOWER Eek

Posts: 33822 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe a motion sensor so when somebody goes in the room the light is on?
Otherwise just cut a hole on the other side of the wall and flip the box around and block the old hole to your preference.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'd try the motion switch too. It's likely that the movement of the door will operate it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
But the switch is on the inside of the room. Is behind the door when it is opened. So needs to be moved to the other side of the door. Was hoping for some kind of a simple wireless maybe solution.

I thought that was what you were talking about. It looks like several wireless solutions have been proposed and if you’re not using LED lights one of those may be perfect. The (also wireless, but probably lots more work and maybe not feasible depending on fixture layout) solution that came to my mind was rehanging the door to move the hinges to the opposite side from the switch. Prolly not the answer you were looking for though…. Wink

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Motion sensing switch - I bought one of these for my garage a couple of years ago. It works with all of my ceiling lights; fluorescents, L.E.D.'S, and one incandescent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Had one of the motion sensing switches in my little cabin at the lake. It was nice to walk in with all my stuff for the weekend and just open the door and not have to try and hit the switch to turn the light on. But it was a pain when I was sitting still reading a book and the light would go off. One time I was enjoying being alone and reading and the neighbors saw me waving my hand around n the air to get the light to come back on and thought I was signaling them to stop and visit. It was almost 3 hours before they left and I got back to my book.

A remote switch and a remodeler box with wings to hold it in the Sheetrock would be an easy fix.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post