SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transparent aluminum!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transparent aluminum! Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted
And yet again, Scotty is proven to be clairvoyant....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy cow!!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That is amazing. The possibilities are endless if they can get the price down.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
That is just down-right cool!!!

It would be interesting to see a list of goods that have been invented due to Gene Roddenberry's vision. I know flip-phones were one of the first, eh?? I can't even begin to imagine the cost savings (once the cost is feasible), due to its lighter weight, of something as "every-day" as flight deck glass and windows in the cabin.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
So cool !
The second video is watchable btw !
Our government will have the new stuff asap because cost doesn't matter to them :/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I keep telling ya, Star Trek is a documentary.

Posts: 3241 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Maybe Sig will make a transparent P226?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
I keep telling ya, Star Trek is a documentary.

All Science Fiction is, to an extent. I can't remember the book, but I read a lot of SF in the late 1950's through the mid 1960's, and remember a quote, something like, "Cars still used carburetors when Ley landed on the Moon."

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9167 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
The other interesting coincidence is that the comparable strength/size ratio of TA and standard materials (6" of laminated glass vs 1" of TA), is pretty much what was in the original script. And actually, TA strength exceeds those comparisons. Unless of course, Roddenberry was from the future... Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
So...let's say a fella had a few extra bucks to invest. Where might one put it?

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
...Unless of course, Roddenberry was from the future... Smile

Tralfamadorian, at least.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9167 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I heard of this years ago, and not on Star Trek.
IMO just clickbait right up there with new D B Cooper and Amelia Earhart stories that emerge every few years.
I hope it actually does become a useful thing, but I don't expect it in my lifetime.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I heard of this years ago, and not on Star Trek.
IMO just clickbait right up there with new D B Cooper and Amelia Earhart stories that emerge every few years.
I hope it actually does become a useful thing, but I don't expect it in my lifetime.

It's actually a product currently being manufactured:

ALON

With several industrial applications.

Physical properties:

Mechanical

Young's modulus 334 GPa

Shear modulus 135 GPa

Poisson ratio 0.24

Knoop hardness 1800 kg/mm2 (0.2 kg load)

Fracture toughness 2.0 MPa·m1/2

Flexural strength 0.38–0.7 GPa

Compressive strength 2.68 GPa

Thermal and optical

Specific heat 0.781 J/(g·°C

Thermal conductivity 12.3 W/(m·°C)

Thermal expansion coefficient ~4.7×10−6/°C

Transparency range 200–5000 nm

ALON also appears to be radiation-resistant and resistant to damage from various acids, bases, and water.

Additionally, transparency to IR presents several interesting possibilities for battlefield hardened optics.

Or should I just punch up "Clear?"

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Krieger watches have used it for awhile, haven't they?

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
So...let's say a fella had a few extra bucks to invest. Where might one put it?

US Government Treasury bonds.

Bet America to win, place, or show.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31471 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome!!!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Do they make Trauma Plates out of ALON yet?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16530 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Do they make Trauma Plates out of ALON yet?

AFRL and ARL currently researching. Limiting factors now are manufacturing scale and cost.

So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
"Hello Computer..."

Big Grin

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3929 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
How about an underwater hull section on a boat.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post