SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any idea what these bugs are?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any idea what these bugs are? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
They are tiny. Flea size or smaller. They do not jump or fly. They are easily squished. We are finding them around the doors and windows. I spray the yard regularly and we have never had these before.

The bodies are like a grain of rice but far smaller with two long antennas.

pc screen shot

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Looks like the fairly common brownish big-pixel bug. They are known to congregate in areas where precise focus is not present. Wink

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blurrus Ovalshapus.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Looks like the fairly common brownish big-pixel bug. They are known to congregate in areas where precise focus is not present. Wink

I tried to take a pic about 50 times. They are so small the iPhone won’t focus on them very well.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
To be somewhat more helpful (couldn't help myself above), you'll need a better picture to get an ID. Macro-mode might help. Needs to be in focus, though.

Get one to set still, one way or another, get the focus tight and the shutter speed high enough that camera shake won't blur things. Might have to killify one, gently (insecticide) if it's fast-motion that is keeping things blurry.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That is a chigger. Keep it away from any orifices below your waist.

Sorry, I'm not a camera person.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8714 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you just need a microscope!

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Pan back until it becomes clear, take a pic, then try enlarging the image and take a screen shot. That’s how I usually defeat blurrimus maximus.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15628 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Not a chigger. Chiggers are reddish, and arent insects.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The ubiquitous tiny "black bug". We get them here in AZ mid summer. They invade around door weatherstrip and thresholds, and of course if you leave the door open. Millions of them, it seems sometimes. They last about a month. The invasion persists even though the monthly exterminator visit sprays liberally around the doors and windows. His spray kill scorpions and other invaders, but the black bugs persist, just on numbers alone.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Could it be a Springtail? If so, they are totally harmless, just an annoyance.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Can't tell much from the picture but the description sounds like pecker gnats.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the springtail. They are smooth like micro lightning bugs but don't fly.

posted Hide Post
Stink bugs. We get them in the summer. If you crush them, you will see why they are called such!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
Stink bugs. We get them in the summer. If you crush them, you will see why they are called such!

Our stink bugs are far larger and shield shaped.

posted Hide Post
What part of your body has been infested??

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Not a chigger. Chiggers are reddish, and arent insects.

I was kidding. But I didn't know they aren't insects ! I thought all bugs were "insects", whatever that definition is. Interesting.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8714 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sure they don’t jump at all? They look exactly like springtails to me.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nope. Just crawl fast. If they jumped I’d say fleas.

posted Hide Post
Reason I ask is because springtails jump as well. Several centimeters at a time. Very much like fleas but fleas don’t have the antennae like springtails do.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post