SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A day of Forging with Forged in Fire for a fundraiser for a Veterans program - Resilience Forge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A day of Forging with Forged in Fire for a fundraiser for a Veterans program - Resilience Forge Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I was down, I was not able to go fishing for the weekend with some friends as they left on Wednesday and would not be back till Sunday of last week. I could not take that amount of time off so I stayed back. I received an invite from a friend who is a former contestant on Forged in Fire that he was doing a fundraiser and invited me down to see Jason and Burt et al. I am a huge fan so I could not wait to go see these guys forge. Yeah, well that was the plan anyway.
It was the Brushy Mountain Apple Festival in North Wilkesboro, NC. and man everyone was having a good time. I got there early and was setting up to watch and enjoy a day of cider, and seeing the contestants and one judge from the show. Kyle came over and said they were short handed and I mentioned I would do whatever I could to help. They were doing "$40 donation and make your own knife with a knifesmith" as the promotion. And all of the smiths were former contestants. I was already rehearsing my "getyur COLD BEEER HEA-ER" hawk voice to start signing folk up on the clipboard. This I can do.
"Dave, can you take anvil 1?" time kinda slowed down for me. I am an amateur blacksmith and I have only had one formal lesson making knives. "hey, uh, . . . well . . ." I had no idea what to say. I didnt want to let him down, and turnout had been greater than anticipated . . . but these guys were good, the best really, and frick me I am just a fanboy not a knifesmith.
"your good with hammer and tongs, and I can walk you through any questions you have, thanks man"
So I did it. It was one of the longest, hardest, hottest, days I have ever known. It rained a good junk of the afternoon and we did our best, made a bunch of knives for kids, ladies, men, doctors, teachers, fireman, veterans, it was amazing. We raised enough for him to really get the veterans school going and get him on his way.

I hope these links work, he only posted the videos on facebook. But they seem to be public so you can watch them without logging in. I am the guy in the black shirt at the beginning of the first video. This was my first 'student' and I was trying to teach her how to hold the tongs and hammer at the same time. (actually the hardest part for all of them was tong and hammer management)

Video one link to Facebook
Video Two Link
Video Three Link I am not in this one.
Video Four Link This one features Jason Knight one of the judges on Forged in Fire

HMVV RF by David Holder, on Flickr

20171007_084415 by David Holder, on Flickr

20171007_162616 by David Holder, on Flickr
This was my favorite knife that we did. Really loved how the twist came out.

20171007_090912 by David Holder, on Flickr

20171007_091400 by David Holder, on Flickr

20171007_092349 by David Holder, on Flickr
Burt, He is a great guy and just awesome to work with.

20171007_093401 by David Holder, on Flickr
Jason Knight (judge) and Kyle (former contestant, organizer of Resilience Forge)

20171007_174844 by David Holder, on Flickr

Last student of the day, it had been raining for hours but they waited and we got most everyone through.

What a great day. I learned more, both spiritually and in knowledge, made great friends, met a bunch of awesome guys, and got to help some folk create. It was a blessed day.
-Dave

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is so cool. Congrats, I too love the show. My favorite.

An awesome fundraiser too. These are the things that I love to see happen in our country.

Thanks for posting and I am sure you will not soon forget that day. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Just put a smile on my face. Looks like an Awesome day, my family are huge fans of the show. My 10 year old will be excited to see this, and all for a good cause.

Nothing like honest work with good people.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
That's really cool!

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite shows too! Very cool you got to attend and help.
quote:
actually the hardest part for all of them was tong and hammer management

The only thing I know about forging is what I see from the show.
I imagine if given the chance, every time I would hit a piece of steel it would drop or go flying.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Your knife, will kill!

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That's a great show and what a great day to spend a day! Envious for sure! Congrats.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post