SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Actor Jussie Smollett’s Criminal Trial to Begin After Years of Delay
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actor Jussie Smollett’s Criminal Trial to Begin After Years of Delay Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Jussie is going to be asking a lot of folks if they would like fries with their order. 1.5 mil is not much if you're mounting a huge legal defense.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
How do you get to have ice in jail?

Whadafuq?

Is it a surprise they get hot food? Cause it’s kinda just the opposite. Why is ICE a surprise?

In Tom Dart's Crooke County Jail, there are Pizza parties.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Defamation Suit by Brothers in Smollett Case Can Go Forward, Judge Rules

The Chicago Tribune reported that U.S. District Judge Mary Rowland's ruling centers on comments Tina Glandian made on NBC's “Today” show in March 2019
A judge in Chicago ruled Friday that an attorney forJussie Smollett might have defamed two Black brothers who testified that they participated in a fake racist and homophobic attack on the actor when she suggested they had been wearing “whiteface”

The Chicago Tribune reported that U.S. District Judge Mary Rowland's ruling centers on comments Tina Glandian made on NBC's “Today” show in March 2019, shortly after the Cook County State's Attorney announced it was dropping charges accusing Smollett of lying to police about the incident two months earlier.

Discussing how Smollett had told police that one of his attackers was white, Glandian said that the very dark-skinned brothers might have “put makeup on" to disguise their color. Further, she criticized Chicago police for their alleged failure to investigate an online video showing one of the brothers “in whiteface doing a joke monologue with white makeup on,”

Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo filed a defamation lawsuit, alleging that the comments were part of a effort to portray them as racist, homophobic and violent men who truly attacked Smollett.

On Friday, Rowland suggested that Glandian’s comments could be seen as defamatory, an apparent attempt by the lawyer to "dispel the inconsistency in Smollett’s story (the attackers had light skin) and bolster her contention that the plaintiffs (who are not light skinned) were Smollett’s attackers.”

“Taken in context, Glandian was asserting plaintiffs’ involvement in a racially motivated attack,” Rowland wrote. “Explaining that the attackers were white, read in context, adds the implication that the attack was a hate crime.”

The ruling means that the defamation count against Glandian could go to trial.

link: https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...-go-forward/2786732/

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Was he ever in anything besides empire?
He was in one of the Alien "prequal" movies...Prometheus or Covenant. I think it was Prometheus. That's the only thing I've seen him in, as I don't have HBO and didn't watch Empire.

It was Alien: Covenant (2017), I looked it up.

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You should have just served your time, you fraud. You would have been done with it last year, but now, you face the remaining 144 days of your sentence, and I believe you will be serving it this year, no matter how many lawyers you throw at it.

For fifth time, Jussie Smollett’s lawyers ask for more time to file brief appealing conviction linked to fake hate crime

Phony, entitled, arrogant, racist little shit

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I was wondering why he’s still out. He and Bill Cosby seem to have thus far wriggled away from justice.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In order for Smollett to not have to serve 144 days in jail and be on probation for 30 months after serving that sentence, his conviction will have to be overturned, and based upon the overwhelming evidence of his guilt, I do not see that happening.

Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Remember it's Illinois perhaps the likely the corrupt state in the Union. Will the Governor pardon the lying thug?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll leave it to you to speculate pointlessly about all the bad things that might happen.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Juicy Fruity Jussie News.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Tic tock juicy… tic tock. He should have just accepted that everyone sees through his outright lies. People accept contrite, honest people back into the fold; lying racist hypocrites? Not so much.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
By the way, Jussie- a belated happy fourth anniversary of your lying bullshit, baby. 1/29/2019 was an important date in your relationship with your ego err I mean the world.

I'm so sorry I missed it. I know you can't stand to be ignored.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Darn!
I had completely forgotten about that irrelevant POS. Now it's going to take me a couple minutes to erase the asshole from my brain again.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's not irrelevant. His crime has made him quite relevant, just not in the way he thought he would be after he committed his fraud.

It's important that his criminal conviction be upheld and that he is- despite all the money he's thrown at lawyers, despite his assumed special social status, and despite his celebrity and news media co-conspirators trying to excuse his behavior and blatant lies- incarcerated for the remaining 144 days of his sentence.

It's important because it's a cautionary tale for those who would try to pull the same shit. It's almost better that it has drawn out this long, because if he had manned up (not in the sense Jussie would take that phrase to mean) and served his sentence, the jail time would be behind him (again, not in the sense Jussie would take it err understand it) instead of facing him still. And when he goes back to the hoosegow, it will be news once again and serve as yet another reminder for the egomaniacal celebrities in this country to not try this shit.

As an added bonus, we'll get to see his fucked-up racist family in front of cameras once again, angry and wild-eyed, lashing out at the world for the horror of due process being applied to royalty.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
He he updated his current suicidal status?

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I would assume this thug would do his time just so when he gets out he would have that extra street cred to sell his rap music.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
As with Baldwin, I enjoy the idea that he's thrashing around still trying to avoid the consequences.Like Parabellum stated, if he had the character to face the music, it'd already be over. But he's a scumbag so he's thrashing. kind of fun to watch. As long as they don't wriggle off the hook, I'm good watching the futility. Now, Cosby.....he may have wriggled just hard enough to wait out the clock.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jussie Smollett gets more time to file appeal, but court says 'no further extension will be granted.

CHICAGO -- A state appeals court on Monday granted a request by Jussie Smollett's defense lawyers for a fifth extension to file their initial argument, but warned it would be the last time.

"A fifth motion for more time to file an opening brief, particularly by the defendant in a criminal matter, is rare," the three-judge panel of the First District Appellate Court wrote in its order. "Nevertheless, the court grants the motion to serve and file appellant's brief on or before March 1, 2023. After that date, no further extension will be granted."

SEE ALSO | Jussie Smollett back to work, making directorial debut after convicted for faking Chicago hate crime

In their motion last week for yet another extension, Smollett's attorneys said their brief was completed and, at the time, they were still waiting for a ruling on a request to file an oversized brief in the case.

The actor and singer is appealing his conviction for staging a hate crime against himself in Chicago and lying about it. His lawyers have said they needed to file 80 pages instead of the standard maximum of 50. They cited the complexity of the case and previous cases that were brought against the actor after the 2019 hoax first came to light.

Smollett was indicted that year but in a much-criticized reversal, State's Attorney Kim Foxx's office dropped all charges against Smollett in consideration of community service and his agreement to turn over the $10,000 he had posted for bond to the city of Chicago.

That led to Special Prosecutor Dan Webb being appointed to review the decision, and he announced new charges against the actor the following year.

Attorneys for the special prosecutor's office opposed the filing of an oversized brief, noting Smollett's appeal dealt only with the case that led to his 2021 conviction, not earlier cases.

In the ruling Tuesday, the judges allowed Smollett to file an oversized brief but not as large as they had requested. "Instead, Defendant-Appellant may file a brief not to exceed 20,000 words, a 33% increase in the number of words," the court ruled.

RELATED | 'You got the wrong one': Jussie Smollett releases new song, 'Thank You God'

A jury convicted Smollett in December 2021 on five counts of felony disorderly conduct and he was sentenced by Judge James Linn to five months in jail. The sentencing hearing ended with the actor yelling that he was not suicidal before being led from the courtroom by sheriff's deputies.

Smollett only served six days in the Cook County Jail before he was released on his own recognizance pending appeal. He will be required to go back and serve the rest of his time if his conviction is not overturned.

His attorneys allege the charges bought by Webb amount to double jeopardy. They have also criticized rulings Linn made before and during the actor's trial.

LINK: https://abc7chicago.com/jussie...l-kim-foxx/12754839/

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
As with Baldwin, I enjoy the idea that he's thrashing around still trying to avoid the consequences.Like Parabellum stated, if he had the character to face the music, it'd already be over. But he's a scumbag so he's thrashing. kind of fun to watch. As long as they don't wriggle off the hook, I'm good watching the futility. Now, Cosby.....he may have wriggled just hard enough to wait out the clock.

To quote the great philosopher Oogway (from Kung Fu Panda), "A person often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

This long drawn-out stuff is the gift that keeps on giving. I hope they drag both cases out as long as possible, as the threat is constantly hanging over their heads the entire time.

For narcissists like baldwin and smullet, this has got to be pure torture - knowing that ALL their clout and efforts aren't worth jack as they live in constant fear of the consequences of their actions. These 'do you KNOW who I am' retards are realizing that, yes, we DO know who they are, and yet, it doesn't matter.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A word I learned from one of the guests on Fox News:

schadenfreude (noun): enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post