SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which moderately strong adhesive should I use on my windshield?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which moderately strong adhesive should I use on my windshield? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I have a toll transponder with two suction cups that I place on my windshield. Where I place it on my windshield that are lots of little black bumps that are part of the glass, this is around the rearview mirror and the housing that holds the forward facing camera. Because of these bumps the suctions cups will not adhere. I went to Ace and bought a small thing of clear silicone. It works for about 4-6 weeks, then the transponder falls off. I have now been through this a few times. The silicone seems to adhere to the windshield fine, but less so to the plastic suction cups.

Is there something in between silicone and super glue that I can use for this purpose?

Posts: 2348 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Think i would continue with the silicone.

You might try roughing up the cup for better adhesion or possibly even drilling small holes for the silicone to grab onto.

Of build a small bracket stuck under head liner or trim screw to mount to.

Posts: 18138 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have no idea but I think I'd pop into my local auto glass shop and ask them, they should know about that.

Posts: 11964 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Once you use silicone on something, it’s very difficult to get anything else to stick to it. At least in my experience.

Maybe try removing the suction cups and glue the bracket itself to the glass.

Posts: 27149 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Maybe something like a velcro backed command strip on each side?
Should hold, and be easily removable when you don't need it on there/sell the car.
https://www.amazon.com/Command...39-bbc5-5db9f871bef5

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had my windshield tinted so the suction cup doesn't last long. I ended up getting some velcro strips and stuck my toll thing on top of the dash.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8140 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My toll transponder is behind one side of rear view mirror and my dash cam behind other side. The toll tag's adhesive has been fine but don't know what it is. The dash cam is the good 3M 2-sided red tape and it's been excellent.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My toll transponder is behind one side of rear view mirror and my dash cam behind other side. The toll tag's adhesive has been fine but don't know what it is. The dash cam is the good 3M 2-sided red tape and it's been excellent.

If it's a HCTRA tag, it's good enough to never come loose, but just weak enough that I've transferred mine between 3 cars over the years as I've moved from one car to another.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
What about something like rearview mirror adhesive. Intended to be permanent but can be removed with a razor blade. This one indicates it is compatible with plastic

https://www.oreillyauto.com/de...eld/jbw0/33701?pos=3

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
The 3m double side red tape tatertodd mentions, that would adhere to the silicone cup and the window as well as anything. Might hit the cup with a good cleaner or alcohol to remove oil which should help.

Posts: 18138 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
3m makes double-stick glass adhesive pads that came with my dash-cams. I would think you could check amazon/local stores.

Posts: 3810 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I used alien tape. Works great, and you can get it off.

Posts: 4093 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You're in Central Florida? The EPass people will send you one of these no charge. It sticks to your windshield and it will NOT fall off.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'd use a HD 3M industrial tape.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I'd use a HD 3M industrial tape.

^^^. This. Something which a razor can clean.

And not on the blackheads

Move the little suckers

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest removing the suction cups and using the good 3m double stick. I normally suggest silicone, but I think the problem is the suction cups are offgassing, or bleeding a petroleum product when they get too hot.

Also, it's very important to prep the surfaces with a good alcohol wipe to remove any oily residue.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same problem for me in Central Florida. Been thru the recommended solutions. There is a 3M product, double sided high temp (VHB) tape that I am trying now. I got mine on Amazon. Reviews said to make sure you get it from 3M as some things sold as 3M, weren't.

Posts: 994 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Go get a SunPass at Publix

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5171 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
Go get a SunPass at Publix
That's five bucks. EPass will mail you one, for free. Or stop in at one of their offices and pick one up. I think you can also get one at certain toll booths.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'd look for either 3M VHB tape or the double-sided Gorilla tape.

Good luck!

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post