SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My favorite tree has to come down
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My favorite tree has to come down Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

100+ year old Maple in my back yard. Trunk is 3+ feet in diameter, there are (were...) 4 major leaders about 6 or 8 feet up. Judging by the 24 foot deep garage, I'd say the drip line about 50 feet in diameter. One leader got too heavy, plus rot in the crotch and it came down. The main trunk is punky and bug-infested so the safest thing to do is take the whole thing down, especially considering it's proximity to the garage and the house.

Gonna miss that old beauty. Not to mention the dent in the Emergency Fund it's going to make to take it down.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15473 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Shots of the break.

Posts: 15473 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Trees are a double edged sword. I loved having big ash trees on the property providing shade through much of the day until the emerald ash borers arrived and killed them all, turning them into rotting hazards.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15780 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trees are great but there comes a day when they become a hazard to life and property so they need to come down. I had a tree in my yard that was half alive and half dead and the root system was rotting away so I needed to have it cut down before it fell down and killed someone or destroyed my house or neighbors garage.

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A friend's 70 foot catalpa makes all of 7 feet diameter at the first 10 feet of its trunk. I took most of its lower branches down as they were in the way of his new fence. The lowest was 2 feet diameter. Tree removal company wanted $3,500.00 to take it down. His back lot has a 70 foot water maple with 50 foot branches. I don't go near that one as the poison ivy goes over 30 feet up it. I have eyed that big catalpa for months. I could deal with taking it down but the first 10 feet would remain due to its huge diameter. The shade his trees provide is truly a blessing in the hot weather.

Posts: 17977 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glad it didn’t squish the house

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do you think the log would have any value?

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Do you think the log would have any value?

Sadly, no. There's not a straight foot-long section anywhere in it, plus twisted around the axis. Not to mention rotted.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Best to do it now before some nor'easter comes blowing in later this year when storm season cranks up.

It's been tree season in the neighborhood, age of the homes is just over 30+ years and many of the planted Oaks are rooting under the street, drives, and one neighbors was popping up tiles out of the pool, it came down yesterday, a big sucker like that one.

Took out a big oak last year, the root system was spread out so thick we couldn't grow grass, you couldn't put a shovel in the ground without hitting roots.

Here's the SIL in his bobcat rolling up the root mess into a ball, one of 4 to 5 that big or bigger from the area.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. Love big trees like that. What kind of maple (almost looks like red to me but I am not certain).

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8650 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
That's too bad. Love big trees like that. What kind of maple (almost looks like red to me but I am not certain).

Not red, but not entirely sure. I'd guess Sugar Maple, but that's all it is...a guess.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Glad it didn’t squish the house

Me too!

My homeowner's insurance is already giving me the stink-eye over 2 roofs in 2 years.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Do you have a jet pack? Or a drone?
How did you photograph from above the house/tree?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Do you have a jet pack? Or a drone?
How did you photograph from above the house/tree?

Acme Jetpack, courtesy of Wile E. Coyote... Big Grin

But seriously folks, a DJI Mini2 SE drone.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We had to take out a Pine tree a couple of years ago that was menacing the house, and actually dropped a couple of big limbs on my garage. I miss the shade, but I don't miss the needles. I doubt you'll miss the leaves in the fall. And it'll be nice to not have it crush your house.

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Bet she was gorgeous in the fall.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, more than I'd hoped, but less than I feared.

$3500, his crew will drop it, limb it and chip anything under 4" diameter. Chips are my problem, I'll buck the rest up for firewood and sell it.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
About the same as we paid taking the oak out of the front yard, tree removal isn't cheap...

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55141 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
While I have been fortunate to have had lovely oak trees on the yards of my homes in Virginia and South Carolina, I have had to remove several over time. The last one in Virginia fell victim to a boring insect and the last one in South Carolina had root rot, termites, and a fungi. Part of the problem, though, is that home construction damages the root structure of oaks, which can weaken the ability of the tree to fight off other maladies--at least that is what arborists have told me.

Posts: 221 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post