SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford/Mustang People - 96 with 4.6?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford/Mustang People - 96 with 4.6? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Still batting around ideas for a new road toy. I need to hit the used car lots and see if I can even get in/out of a Mustang, but I'm seeing several that are in my price range with V8 and manuals.

I know the 5.0 is a great engine, but what's the scoop on the 4.6? Anything I need to be aware of?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Will NEVER sound as good as the 5.0...Just sayin' Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The 4.6 was pretty solid. We had a ton of them in the Crown Vics, and if properly maintained they'd last a long time. Check for coolant leaks around the intake and listen for chain rattle as Ford liked to use plastic chain guides that would wear out...although I think that was a bigger issue on the 5.4s. Mainly I'm surprised that you're able to find a '96 up north that hasn't devolved into a redish-brown pile in a driveway by now...I don't see many of that body style left on the road around us.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
The 4.6 was pretty solid. We had a ton of them in the Crown Vics, and if properly maintained they'd last a long time. Check for coolant leaks around the intake and listen for chain rattle as Ford liked to use plastic chain guides that would wear out...although I think that was a bigger issue on the 5.4s. Mainly I'm surprised that you're able to find a '96 up north that hasn't devolved into a reddish-brown pile in a driveway by now...I don't see many of that body style left on the road around us.

Yeah, me too. Looks good in the ad but will require thorough inspection.

There's also a '91 5.0GT reasonably priced that looks very nice.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A 1996 4.6 SOHC 2-valve won't have the DOHC 4-valve, 3-valve or VVT (variable valve timing) gimmicks, so the engine itself is nearly bulletproof. This does fall within the year range of the front plastic intake runner (actually a coolant crossover between banks) bursting open. A new intake replaces this with an aluminum one. Under said intake is the rubber part of a heater hose that sometimes blows. That's about it. Of course, this assumes the prior owner(s) didn't beat it to shit.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2002, 6 cyl, auto. That would be strike 1,2, and 3.
It’s red, convertible, in great shape with low miles. So that evens the score. It’s the wife’s car, and she loves it! With the top up it’s a bitch to get in and out, and we’ve toured to Michigan for family visits several times, and good ride it’s not.
I would take your time and try to find the perfect one for you! The hunt can be as much fun as the prize.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorreviewer.com/...ne.php?engine_id=186

Article on the various 4.6's. IMO if there was a decent shape 2005 out there with a 2 valve, that would appeal to me. That body change from 04 to 05 still looks good.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's also a '91 5.0GT reasonably priced that looks very nice.
That's mo betta.

I have had a few Mustangs; one of them pretty nicely "built". The nice one was an '86 with a 331 stroker engine (I think). It performed neck-and-neck with a friend's 4.6 with an Eaton supercharger, during highway pulls.

I prefer the "fox body" cars in general. I don't have anything sporty now, and I don't yearn for it either. However, if I were to stumble into a pile of money, a notchback fox would be something I'd hunt down.

One of the cars I had was a '95. It got that 331 put into it. That generation is my least favorite, aesthetically (though the interior isn't terrible).

That friend of mine was(is) an excellent mechanic. He never had anything bad to say about the 4.6.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I had a '96 Cobra with the 4.6 DOHC. That engine was incredible for the time, and I racked up about 140K on it before selling it. Only mechanical issue we ever had was a leak on water pump and throwout bearing failure.

Solid and fun car all around, like many I wish I still had it be wouldn't have wanted to keep it for the past 17 years either. We drove the piss out of it though. Finding a decent under 100K one will be tough.

Sounded just fine with Borla Race exhaust, and with strut/shock/spring upgrades it was a carver. Well again, for the time and money.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IMO, I'd have a Fox over a early SN95 [94-98], never liked the curvier SN95, but the later [99-04] more angular ones looked better to me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15339 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
never liked the curvier SN95, but the later [99-04] more angular ones looked better
There's the nomenclature I couldn't remember. The 99-04 cars were referred-to as "new edge" I think. That 4.6 my buddy had was an '01 Cobra. That year Cobra lacked the supercharger from the factory; he bought a like-new takeoff bundle, from someone who opted for a different/bigger blower on their 03/04 Cobra.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
never liked the curvier SN95, but the later [99-04] more angular ones looked better
There's the nomenclature I couldn't remember. The 99-04 cars were referred-to as "new edge" I think. That 4.6 my buddy had was an '01 Cobra. That year Cobra lacked the supercharger from the factory; he bought a like-new takeoff bundle, from someone who opted for a different/bigger blower on their 03/04 Cobra.

Yep, New Edge [thanks Wiki]
I looked at a few over the years, briefly considered a '99 V6 manual convertible
The SN95 that I've driven definitely had more solid road manners over the more tired Fox cars I've driven.
College roommate had a '92 Notchback that he was building a 347ci stroker for. Think he still has the engine, but the car [roller] and 2 parts cars he had are long gone. I think he still has a '66 coupe at his dad's place, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15339 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
PHPaul rolling in his 4.6..... wonder if he will stop, collaborate an listen

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had a 96 GT Convertible for a number of years and ended up selling it to a member here about 10 years ago.
If it would have been a coupe and not a convertible I would certainly still own it today and would have beefed up the motor and thrown a ProCharger on it.

The Ford 4.6L Modular motor was an absolutely fantastic motor. The 96-98 Mustangs had like 215 horsepower and the 99s got bumped to like 260 hp from better flowing heads and intake which were called PI (Performance Improved).

I did an off-road X pipe, full 3” Magnaflow exhaust, a UPR shifter, OEM 03/04 Cobra wheels with 315s on the rear.
The car was a lot of fun and I still find the 4.6L modular motors had the best exhaust note of all the Mustangs.
This motor was great but never really got the respect it deserved. In all honesty if Ford would have just bored it out a bit more to 5.0 liters it would have garnered much larger following.

Foxes are still my favorite followed by the SN95s I have been eyeballing 1998 Mystic Cobras here recently.

Only issues I had were the Amp for the stereo system blew (replaced with a used one for cheap), switch for the power drivers seat shorted while I was driving and pinned me to the steering wheel, OEM headlights hazed really really bad, I replaced with aftermarket.

If I were to do it again I would have used a catted X pipe so I did not smell like
fuel after driving it, and would have gone with a MGW shifter instead of the UPR. Also would have done better shocks and lowering springs.

Great driving car, fast enough, convertible was great in college but after that not really enjoyable for me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I missed the nostalgia alert!

And the week we sold it.... Frown
Fellow showed up, looked at it, started it, handed me the keys and said "I'll be back in 30 minutes."
My wife said to hide it, close the blinds and don't answer the door.

Edit - that picture is even huger. Never mind.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to that modern 4.6, but the 4.7 is running great in my '65.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The 5.0 in my 68 is great too. Big Grin

I was going to say that with PHPaul's penchant for tinkering with things, he should go with a pre-70 classic. Plenty of room and easy and fun to work on.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post