SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Never had huckleberries - what am I missing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never had huckleberries - what am I missing? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
My favorite fruits, by far, are berries, but I've never had huckleberries. I've not seen them in stores, and AFAIK, I've never lived where they grow and so have never come across them to sample.

I was wondering if folks in the huckleberry zones had any comments about them, any comparisons to more generally-available fruits, etc.

They look pretty tasty, I have to say.

Posts: 15137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite fruits, by far, are berries, but I've never had huckleberries.

Me either, but they are supposed to have a "tart" taste to them, if you like that sort of thing. I do like olives, some varieties of which border on bitter.

Posts: 28587 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had them, but they look like a tart cherry.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the zone between gooseberries and rhubarb.
Complex flavor worth the effort.
Best unsweetened IMHO.

Posts: 9872 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
An allrecipies article:
“What Is a Huckleberry and What Does It Taste Like?“
https://www.allrecipes.com/art...at-is-a-huckleberry/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9411 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
an acquired taste. I like to pick and eat at the same time.I prefer blueberries myself.
Yes they are tart. No as tart if picked ripe which most do not do.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19675 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had them in ice cream while on a trip to Montana. They were pretty good. I like tart fruits, but I didn't think they were super tart.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3625 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Pick in the morning.
Pie in the afternoon.
Yum.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Flathead valley in Montana and everything is huckleberry. They are a slightly tart blueberry.

Posts: 651 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I had a great breakfast at a lodge in the Sawtooth mountains on I believe rt21, Huckleberry pancakes. Made a cold morning motorcycle ride alot better..

Posts: 2335 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Val Kilmer?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
They grow lots of places at higher elevations. Yes, smaller and tarter blueberry flavor, which makes sense given that they grow wild where blueberries don’t. They are a delicious snack in the wild if you find them at just the right time. Otherwise, I wouldn’t bother. I doubt anything commercially sold as huckleberry is anything other than commercial blueberry. To me, it’s like honeysuckle flowers. They have a special flavor all their own, that is likely accentuated by the difficulty in obtaining it (long hikes, short seasons, small amount per fruit/flower). They are flavors that you experience individually, in the moments where they make unimaginable impressions. They cannot be replicated without the surrounding environment or experiences required to produce them.

Posts: 2161 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny this should come up. I just back BSA camp at Morrison in Idaho. The entire camp was covered in Huckleberry. We just ate them raw. When ripe, they are more sweet with a hint of tart, more tart when red.
One of my favorite berries and I bet the would be great in pie or pastry or cooked into a sauce.
I've heard they can't be grown easily and are only wild but don't know how true that is. Tillamook makes a huckleberry ice cream but it doesn't taste like the real thing and I don't care for it.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Huckleberries are what blueberries wish they could be. Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had huckleberries,never seen them for sale. I'll check Jungle Jims.
When I was a kid, visited relatives in Indiana. They knew where to go and
you could pick a five gallon bucket full of blackberries for free. Love em.
I just paid about 4 dollars at Krogers for a little plastic container of them.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Never had huckleberries raw either. “Jam on Main”, a breakfast place in Bozeman, has a mean huckleberry jam though.

Posts: 7041 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post