SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird pattern of a lightning struck pine tree
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird pattern of a lightning struck pine tree Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
This happened at my parents' house several years ago. I never really paid much attention to it until a few days ago.
Tree is partially split all the way from top to near bottom, except for a intact short section in the middle. Maybe it was struck twice?

Q

Posts: 27414 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pine trees are natures lightning magnets...

Worst tree to have anywhere near your house.

Amazed that hasn't rotted out and died, had one like that behind the casa de hrk, one year later
it was a stick, dead as a door knob

Posts: 24113 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I've seen this before, lightning will follow the path of least (electrical) resistance. If that path doesn't affect the bark/wood of the tree, it will happily route around it. Maybe a water or sap trail on the surface of the tree sufficient to conduct the current. Or maybe magic, who knows?

Posts: 6713 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
A maple in my front yard was struck with a similar vertical open scar. I had to take it down after it decided it was done as it became more unstable.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8890 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Amazed that hasn't rotted out and died, had one like that behind the casa de hrk, one year later
it was a stick, dead as a door knob

Yeah, amazing is right. I asked all my brothers and sisters if they remember exactly when. None can recall, but for sure it has been more than 10 years.

Q

Posts: 27414 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a forestry class at the Community college.

We took a field trip to view damaged, sick ,ailing and disfigured trees.

They showed a a thirty five y.o. tree that was hit by lightning.

Despite it being split open and set on fire,
It continued to grow , year after year,
Not a single dead twig, no dead leaves, no loss of limbs.

As long as the cambium xylem and phlome did their job, it percivered .

But the ugliest nastiest trunk you could imagine.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55120 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I had one that looked exactly like that after a lightning strike but the crack went all the way down to the ground. It was 85' tall and cost a ton to have it taken down.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1894 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post