SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have failed as a father or what I failed to teach my youngest daughter…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have failed as a father or what I failed to teach my youngest daughter… Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
My mother wants a copy of my youngest daughter’s high school graduation announcement. So I tell her to send her one. And this is where the fail happens when she told me, “Dad, I don’t know how to address an envelope.”

Now this is a girl that was in the NHS and played and started on her high school boy’s baseball team. She was also the first girl to start in a boy’s state championship game in our state and that while only being 5’6” and weighing at most 104 lbs.

But able to send a letter? Nope. Nada. She didn’t know what to do. Her next comment, “I’ll look on YouTube Dad.”

We did correct this failure of mine today and we didn’t go to YouTube.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
In her defense, we march towards a paperless mankind. Maybe she's a pioneer.

Posts: 7626 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have to do that maybe twice a year.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
In her defense, we march towards a paperless mankind. Maybe she's a pioneer.

^^^^^
Her entire generation. These kids are smart and accomplished. But some of the things we take for granted from an earlier time, they have no idea what to do. I have a picture I need to dig up of her and my youngest son trying to figure out how to use a jukebox at a local dinner.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem Solved: Show your daughter how send a letter. No big deal, that's far from being a failure. The fact that your daughter came to you tells me that you're a pretty dang good dad. Way to go.

Follow me for great life hacks Big Grin

Posts: 7648 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This feels like the opposite of a failure to me. Your daughter needs something and she comes to Dad. That’s a win all day long.

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next up : changing a flat tire.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Wow, exactly this!

I recently had to teach my son how to address an envelope. He’s a freshman in college, state swimmer champ, on a full pre-med scholarship… great kid, I’m blessed. I taught him how to do the envelope, and literally the next thing o thought was “oh shit did I teach him how to change a tire?”

Posts: 2438 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I will look on Youtube. The Encyclopedia Brittanica of the new age.

The next thing to teach them, letters need stamps.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
No big deal. If you grew up in a 100% electronic environment and she grew up in your time frame, you would be asking her how to mail the letter. When your daughter was born corresponding by letter was already dead. So there is no failure here, it was sweet of her to ask you for your help.

Another way to think of this is next time you need to do something you don't normally do on the computer involving marketing, sales, social media etc., you might find yourself a little lost. But young people like your daughter do that stuff with their eyes closed. I have two adult daughters that do all those things on the internet, and I ask them for their help when I need to do those kinds of things, and I'm a 35+ year full time software engineer.

So in the big picture it's not really a thing, it's just your perspective, which like mine is a little behind the times, which is the natural progression of life.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Granted it was 37 or so years ago now, but one of the most useful classes I ever took in Hight School, or any level for that matter was something called "Personal Business Finance(?)" or something, I think it counted as a math credit for people who were terrible in math.

But that's what the whole class was, things like that. How to write a check, how to balance a check book, how to fill out a job application, how to fill out tax returns etc etc. Things you needed to know, but if you didn't have a family member show you, you wouldn't have ever done it yet.

Seems we need that NOW MORE THAN EVER. (This coming from a guy who 40% of his job is explaining to college students how a door knob works. (Lord I wish I were joking.))

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds stupid, because I send out literally thousands of letters for work every year (I just got another 4000 envelopes this week), but I sometimes look at a blank envelope and cannot remember which corner the stamp goes in. It's not new, either; I'm in my 60's and have always had this flaw.

For work, the envelopes are window envelopes, franked with the return address already printed. I never have to think about how to set them up. That infrequent blank envelope, though, can still trip me up. If necessary, I drag something out of the mail to use as a template.

So tell the son, "If you're not cheating, you're not trying. Copy someone else's work!"

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2102 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

My daughter did that to me in the 90s. Right after school she and friends had a flat. Daughter called me as I work nearby. The car was one of the friends. The flat tire was hugging the curb. It was pouring rain. They didn't even pay me!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You could have told her to google it, search in YouTube, or ask ChatGPT.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
You could have told her to google it, search in YouTube, or ask ChatGPT.

As part of the “figure it out yourself” generation (Gen X), I love these tools. But I find my Gen Z children don’t even know how to these sources to find answers on how to do things.

Posts: 6707 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like cas, back in high school we had a class called Family Living/Bachelor Survival operating under the Home Economics teacher. I took it, thinking I might need to know stuff. Auto shop was more fun, but schools should offer practical life stuff as well as academics.

Posts: 3353 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Don’t be so hard on yourself. Times change and systems with them. Look at the changes from when you were a teen compared to how your parents operated. I’m 58 and my mother in her mid 80’s is completely flummoxed by what I know and can do more or less because of what was available to her generation. My own kids are more savvy with modern trappings even as I recognize it and stay as current as possible. It’s generational.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15780 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Can she read and write in cursive? Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29899 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
But some of the things we take for granted from an earlier time, they have no idea what to do.

Yep.

Do you know how to saddle a horse?

How to tan animal hide and turn it into shoes?

How to make your own soap?

How to turn milk into butter or cheese?

How to fashion and care for a bow?

How to use an abacus? (Or even a slide rule, for the post-Boomer generations.)

How to properly address all the various levels of aristocracy in your community?

Does not knowing how to do that make you an idiot, or your parents a failure? No. You just never had a reason to learn how to do what used to be everyday things to prior generations but have since fallen out of common use.

The reality is that there's near-zero reason for a younger person like your daughter to mail a physical letter in this age of ubiquitous electronic communications. So she's never needed to learn. The same goes for stuff like cursive and check writing, which typically also get trotted out by older folks as examples of how useless "kids these days" are, but are similarly antiquated and nigh-unnecessary in today's age.

She's fine.

I'm glad you were able to teach her. But don't be surprised if she never needs to use that again.

The world is ever-changing, and every one of our skill sets will get left behind at some point. It's happening to you now, and it will happen to your daughter some day as well.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
After all she has accomplished, she still knows that she can depend on you for help anytime. Sounds like a good father any day of the week.

As for me, I feel like I'm the last one who hasn't looked up anything on YouTube instead of figuring out myself.

Posts: 9383 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post