SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice on repainting a room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on repainting a room Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
We painted a room about 8 years ago. I'm pretty sure we put latex over oil-based paint. Over the years there would be some orange-ish drips that would appear. We thought my son was throwing food at the wall, like spaghetti sauce or something. We were taking things off of the wall and some of the paint just started peeling off in big sheets. After some googling my wife found that old oil-based paints had some sort of linseed oil and that it can seep through latex paint, especially in hot and humid rooms. Marky would keep his door shut 99% of the time and it would get so hot in there so it kind of made sense.

Basically what I am asking is what do I need to do to paint over the oil-based paint so that the modern paint will stick and won't allow oils to seep through again?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I would use a 100% acrylic primer first because these primers bond very well. I'd suggest lightly scuff sanding first. This can be quickly done with a pole sander. Then recoat with a 100% acrylic finish paint.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I agree with ridewv.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I would suggest Zinsser odorless oil primer.

Then paint whatever you want over it as it is a wonderful product for mating just about any paint, oil, latex, acrylic etc. to whatever underneath.

Do this after you remove whatever is loose underneath, ie the sheets of paint peeling off.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically what I am asking is what do I need to do to paint over the oil-based paint so that the modern paint will stick and won't allow oils to seep through again?

Zinsser BIN primer to be exact.
You have to apply quickly and evenly as it dries very fast - alcohol based as I recall.
It is also a great sealer for wet areas, where I use it the most.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Zinsser BIN primer to be exact.
You have to apply quickly and evenly as it dries very fast - alcohol based as I recall.
It is also a great sealer for wet areas, where I use it the most.

BIN is shellac based
Clean up with alcohol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Kilz primer may be your answer.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
We were taking things off of the wall and some of the paint just started peeling off in big sheets.

Water based latex over oil based is not a problem, but requires good prep and procedure. I'm guessing that the previous paint in the room was not prepped properly (washed, roughed up with sandpaper), not primed, or maybe both. Your paint is peeling off because there is no adhesion, and good prep of the surface and a quality primer will take care of that.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kilz or Zinser. If you do Kilz get low odor brand and wear a respirator. It is a great sealer.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

BIN is shellac based
Clean up with alcohol

Yep

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
First, you need to clean and prep those walls and get anything loose and peeling off. Then scrub.

I would advise Kilz Original, it’s an oil based sealer/primer that seals up all sorts of stains and issues and works really well. Then regular high quality latex wall paint.

The woman who lived in this house for 60+ years before we bought it from the heirs must’ve smoked like a chimney in the kitchen, and it stained the ceiling of the hallway nearby brown. I used a couple coats of the Kilz and it completely sealed all that out and allowed me to repaint with white ceiling paint and haven’t had an issue since.

It’s pretty thick and tends to spatter when using a roller so you’d have to cover things really well but it’s pretty damn good stuff that WILL NOT let that stuff seep through ever again.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
First, you need to clean and prep those walls and get anything loose and peeling off. Then scrub.

I would advise Kilz Original, it’s an oil based sealer/primer that seals up all sorts of stains and issues and works really well. Then regular high quality latex wall paint.

The woman who lived in this house for 60+ years before we bought it from the heirs must’ve smoked like a chimney in the kitchen, and it stained the ceiling of the hallway nearby brown. I used a couple coats of the Kilz and it completely sealed all that out and allowed me to repaint with white ceiling paint and haven’t had an issue since.

It’s pretty thick and tends to spatter when using a roller so you’d have to cover things really well but it’s pretty damn good stuff that WILL NOT let that stuff seep through ever again.

Thanks. We did use Kilz in the bathroom. Should have used it everywhere. Looks like it’s going to be a bit of work.

Thanks everyone.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
And you will have to determine if the paint that hasn’t peeled is latex or oil. You can’t do oil over latex. But everyone else is right. Clean, sand, prime , paint
And I’m another one to say-use Kilz

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post