SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EV owners, have a problem in Chicago
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV owners, have a problem in Chicago Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
https://www.fox32chicago.com/n...ead-teslas-oak-brook

These fools buy into the EV hype and don't know shit about lithium battery tech even after it bites them in the ass.
Lithium batteries will not work and can be permanently damaged when charging in very cold or very hot environments.The batteries require heating, in this case heated by the battery.
No heat no charge. I'm sure these cars will all have to be towed to a indoor heated facility to warm up until they will take a charge.
Will these owners wise up, I don't think so.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Well, 'armored' did post it first, so there's that! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thermal runaway in 3-2-1……

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
https://www.fox32chicago.com/n...ead-teslas-oak-brook

These fools buy into the EV hype and don't know shit about lithium battery tech even after it bites them in the ass.
Lithium batteries will not work and can be permanently damaged when charging in very cold or very hot environments.The batteries require heating, in this case heated by the battery.
No heat no charge. I'm sure these cars will all have to be towed to a indoor heated facility to warm up until they will take a charge.
Will these owners wise up, I don't think so.

Looks like all those EV's will need to be towed by evil fossil-fueled tow trucks.

Posts: 13 | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Can't you just jump start them? Or park them on a hill and roll them until they start?

Do the studies comparing the cost of E vs. ICE vehicles take into account the price of a garage and charging facility? Never mind, I know the answer already.

Posts: 6506 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
As much as some people like to bash EVs, this is most likely user error. Teslas do a great job of keeping their batteries conditioned, but if you park one with little to no charge and leave it for a week in freezing temps, you get what you deserve.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must say I find this hilarious. The only thing that would make it better is if Jennifer Granholm where stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere in a Motel 6 with nothing to eat except for what is in the candy/chip machine in that bitter cold outdoor vending area.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5662 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Just buy a house with a heated garage and its own charger. Duh.

Posts: 27991 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I must say I find this hilarious. The only thing that would make it better is if Jennifer Granholm where stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere in a Motel 6 with nothing to eat except for what is in the candy/chip machine in that bitter cold outdoor vending area.

LOL They'll leave the light on for her, if they haven't lost power.

Posts: 2789 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
As much as some people like to bash EVs, this is most likely user error. Teslas do a great job of keeping their batteries conditioned, but if you park one with little to no charge and leave it for a week in freezing temps, you get what you deserve.

Agreed, I think 99% a combination of unrealistic expectations by the owners, not understanding the specs, not reading the manual and incorrect operation

other posts remarked about a garage and home charger, seems like a no brainer to me, but I guess they downplay that on the "Dealer" and marketing side. No sales department wants to alienate a huge % of the population (No garage or home charger); plus I'm sure there's profit in those charging stations

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post