SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Extreme Cycling at the Grand Canyon!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extreme Cycling at the Grand Canyon! Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
"WOW"
"Vittorio Brumotti is a world record holding trials and road bike cyclist from Italy. This is how he explores the Grand Canyon!"

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Yeah....nope.

I've walked out on a couple of the spots he did that, it's unsettling on foot let alone doing that crap.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Risk far outweighs rewards if you ask me. Sign me up for something boring like scuba, shooting, or driving fast in a car or on a bike.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems very high risk with very little upside. No thanks.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
There are so many things that could go wrong with that. I'm glad that YouTube didn't exist in my younger years to tempt me to risk my life for a video.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Im not afraid of heights but still had a hard time just watching the go-pro footage! No thanks!!

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Foolish risk. It’s not the slip, or even the fall that kills you...it’s the sudden stop at the end.

The things people do to get noticed.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You can only do that so many times before something goes wrong.

I was scared of heights as a kid. Not so much anymore when I know I'm safe. I would have no issue climbing that with the proper protection.

So many people today want to push the limits without any safety "net". I wonder how many of these people would still do it if it wasn't filmed and posted for others to see.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
As I recall, the charges for a rescue chopper there at the canyon STARTED at $3000 back when we floated the canyon around 1987 or so. Probably much higher by now.

Of course the odds of it being a rescue if the knothead falls are pretty slim. But they would still have to pay to cart what was left of him out of the canyon.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a fool and his life will be soon parted

unfortunately stupid stunts like this lead to kneejerk laws and rules and regulations ruining things for the rest of us

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Brakes, don't fail me now!

Last thing I want to do is die in my lycra shorts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30437 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
The thing is too, a lot of those surfaces are covered in loss dirt/debris, it's not just clean rock. All it takes is hitting one errant stone to go tumbling.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Grand Canyon Search and Rescue unit is one of the busiest in the country.
Dudes like this are the reason.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Yeah....nope.

I've walked out on a couple of the spots he did that, it's unsettling on foot let alone doing that crap.

My legs quit walking when I got about three feet from the edge.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Yeah....nope.

My legs quit walking when I got about three feet from the edge.

Yep, and struggling not to flop to the ground and scooch back inches at a time.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12452 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And other than what the camera captured - what of the Grand Canyon did he see?

Just another narcissist yelling "look at me, I might fall."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are much easier ways to get laid.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107753 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Pucker factor = high.

Count me out.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Nope. Not for me.

How does he get up there with his bike? Does he take the elevator?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Nope. Not for me.

How does he get up there with his bike? Does he take the elevator?

He's only about 50-100' from the paved walking path at the south rim.