SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aftershave lotion?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftershave lotion? Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
Neutrogena quit making the men's after-shave lotion/sunscreen I've been using for 10 years.

I haven't found a good alternative. Any suggestions?

Posts: 3048 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Just dry your face and move on? I’m 63 and haven’t used aftershave since my first couple of years shaving. Just rinse off and dry it.

I’ve had a beard for a good while now, and I don’t even use shaving cream to shave above and below- high cheeks and neck. Just soapy water, then rinse and dry.

If you have super sensible skin and shaving really irritates it, then I understand. But I don’t think most people actually need aftershave.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nivea for men post-shave balm. Don't think it acts as sunscreen, though.

Posts: 802 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
70% isopropyl alcohol almost since I started shaving. But true, no sunscreen.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Just dry your face and move on? I’m 63 and haven’t used aftershave since my first couple of years shaving. Just rinse off and dry it.

I’ve had a beard for a good while now, and I don’t even use shaving cream to shave above and below- high cheeks and neck. Just soapy water, then rinse and dry.

If you have super sensible skin and shaving really irritates it, then I understand. But I don’t think most people actually need aftershave.

I'm with honestlou here, I've had a beard for 45 years and shave my upper cheeks and neck using bar soap. Waste of good money on any after shave concoction.

Posts: 996 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No sunscreen capabilities but we're a huge fan of Issey Miyaki to include their after shave emulsion. Feels great on both shaved skin and beard and gets lots of compliments

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do shave soap and a brush for a hot lather. Afterward, I just put more lather on and wipe it before it dries.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Alum block.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Afta after shave. Been my go-to for years.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14042 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What specifically are you looking for in an aftershave? Antiseptic, astringent, moisturizing, soothing, smell? All or any of the above?

I actually just use epsom salt. It soothes irritated skin instantly and helps heal the little cuts and abrasions.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I like Aventus by Creed.

Posts: 2846 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post

Posts: 615 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
What specifically are you looking for in an aftershave? Antiseptic, astringent, moisturizing, soothing, smell? All or any of the above?

This. Tell us more.

I like the burn and then cool w/ menthol aftershaves.
A very basic and popular one is Proraso green

It doesn't have sunscreen though.
You can can go much fancier than Proraso but I think many have it on hand.

It gets confusing what an after shave lotion is. For SPF, you might me looking at an after shave balm or cream?

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

This. Tell us more.

I like the burn and then cool w/ menthol aftershaves.
A very basic and popular one is Proraso green

It doesn't have sunscreen though.
You can can go much fancier than Proraso but I think many have it on hand.

It gets confusing what an after shave lotion is. For SPF, you might me looking at an after shave balm or cream?

Mostly something to sooth irritation. For those dudes that shave with a rock and don't give a shit, I'm glad it's working for you. I wish that was me.

Seems like it doesn't matter which razor I use, or which lubricant. Some are worse than others, but it always end with irritation.

For a long time I was happy with Triple Protec. They discontinued it, and I'm trying to find a replacement.

Most I've tried leave my face feeling greasy, or they have a very strong scent.

I have a sunscreen I happy with for when I'm out on the bikes (mountain or motorcycle) sweating up a storm. My mom's side of the family burns crazy easy, and I got those genes.

So if it has a sunscreen, even better. But mostly just looking for something to sooth shaving irritation, not give me a rash, and doesn't smell like Axe.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Nivea for men post-shave balm.

That's what I use as well.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Mennen. Been using it since the sixties. It works good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mostly something to sooth irritation.

I get wonderful results making a small amount of slurry with a tablespoon of epsom salt and applying to my newly shaven face for 10 seconds or so. It will burn for the first few seconds, then all irritation is completely gone. This is from someone with severe eczema.

If you want to stick with a traditional aftershave, look for soothing ingredients like witch hazel (rather than alcohol), aloe, and dimethicone.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Nivea for men post-shave balm.

That's what I use as well.

Me as well.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Contact the company and ask what they would suggest. Oftentimes, they phase something out to replace it with a “newer, better” product. I hate it when they do this.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post