SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hydro-modding a watch?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hydro-modding a watch? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
For those of you here who know far more about watches than I do, what's the point of opening a watch and filling it with oil (i.e. hydro-modding)? For the life of me, I can't see the attraction.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, there’s two draws. One is that it makes even a moderately water resistant watch much more so. The other is that it makes the hands and dial look like they’re at the surface of the crystal rather than below it.

Basically, something one can do with cheaper quartz watches (don’t ever do it with an automatic or mechanical) to bump up the water resistance to where it doesn’t matter. I’ve toyed with the idea of doing it with my Duro, but haven’t managed to summon the will.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post