SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new computer printer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new computer printer Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I have one of those all-in-one printers. Never do color printing, but it seems to think the color cartridges are empty. Cannot get past that crap to just print a standard black and white page.

I am looking for a simple, one color (black) printer that could do fax on VERY RARE occasions.

Been searching, can't seem to find one.

Do they even exist now?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Get a Brother laser MFC.

Posts: 3665 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Get a laser BW MFC printer ... Brother is decent.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
https://smile.amazon.com/Broth...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

$149.00 -- I have had an older version of this in the hangar for more than ten years. They just keep chugging along. I finally gave it away because it is so old that the latest version of Mac OS no longer has drivers for it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up on Brother MFC. I have a Brother MFC 8810DW that I bought five years ago. It just chugs along without issues. The duplex works like a champ, you can print right from a smartphone, and the scanning is good. It has fax available if I had a landline.

Brother is like HP was in the 90's. Workhorse printers.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, All. Will check them out!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brother L2360DW, if still available.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Brother brand BW laser printers are great. Got one 2 or 3 years back and still haven't changed the toner yet. Mine doesn't fax but it is easy to setup and use for sure. Scanner is halfway decent for old photos too.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Not to be contrary but I’ve been quite satisfied with my HP laser jet pro m201dw. It is connected wirelessly to my LAN and supports printing from my iphone and iPad. I’ve had no connectivity or reliability issues. Seems to me it’s about 2 years old. Highly recommended.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I was going to start looking for a laser printer to replace my inkjet. Cost of cartridges will pay for a laser printer in a year or two.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16410 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too. Thanks for advice. My printer fails because I don’t use much. Seldom use color. Print cartridges dry up.

I occasionally need bw. Will look for Brother mfc. Anyting I should look for or be aaare of? Avoid?

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have always and will continue to recommend Canon printers. Their customer service and tech support are in the USA. Just last week I had my first Canon printer go out on me, I bought it last year from Best Buy. After trying to troubleshoot the issue with Canon, they decided I needed a NEW replacement for FREE. Three days later it was on my porch.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Me too. Thanks for advice. My printer fails because I don’t use much. Seldom use color. Print cartridges dry up.

I occasionally need bw. Will look for Brother mfc. Anyting I should look for or be aaare of? Avoid?

I have had one in my shop for a couple years, and just bought one for the house,

other than the fact that I am not a techie, so it took a bit to get the wifi part to work, no drama (all self inflicted in other words)

word of advise, order a replacement toner before you think you will need one

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Faxing is pretty much dead now, especially that home landlines are becoming extinct.

My Brother printers will scan whatever and convert it to a PDF which I then email. Anything I type up I convert to a PDF and email.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post