SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Land deal with known problem? Update Pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Land deal with known problem? Update Pg 2 Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
Okay guys I need some advise on a land purchase. We recently purchased a home with 2 magnificent acres of land with a killer view of the mountains in NC. The lot next door abuts ours and the only buildable area would have us looking directly into their house, however the mountain view would still be unobstructed.

The land was offered to us by the current owner primally to serve as a buffer preventing anyone from building on it. The price was $30,000 (1.7 acres) with us paying all closing costs however we just discovered that the soil failed the perk test for the septic, we have advised the owner of the condition and withdrew from the sale.

The owner will soon list the property for sale, is the owner now required to tell the prospective buyer that the land will not receive a traditional septic permit or is it buyer beware?

Also if the selling agent was aware of the failed perk test would he be legally obligated to tell the buyer?

Although privacy is important to us it may not be at any cost, especially if I can not sell it in time of need.

What say you ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig229-SAS,

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that's a big enough problem to scare off a potential buyer, especially if priced accordingly.

I have had two homes with septic systems, and it's my understanding that they can design the system to work with just about any adverse condition in existence. May cost more money to make it work, but it is possible. Around here they will not approve septic on new construction unless you're on 3 acres or more. All old systems are grandfathered.

If you really want it I would likely use it as a negotiating tool, especially if you feel the property would be desirable to a third party as a building lot.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding of disclosure laws is that he needs to disclose it now that he has been made aware of the issue.

He could sell the land 'as-is' and that might let him get around it. I'm not sure and it might be different in your state.

I agree with using it as leverage. Shouldn't bother you as you said it's a buffer and not to build on. They make alternatives so I would think you could negotiate off the price difference between a standard septic and an 'alternative'.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A seller is generally obligated to disclose conditions known to him affecting the use, desirability, etc. of the property. So is a broker.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are buying it just as a buffer why would it matter if it had to have a more expensive septic system? If you had a contingency clause for the perc test in your original offer, suggest a discount, if not pay him and be done with it.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i can tell by your question you are hoping to buy it for a reduced price because of the failed test.

I have always subscribed to the buyer beware. If a buyers wants to know about it and ask's usually the buyer needs to disclose.

My advise in these situations is either buy it or mind your own business as it not your business at that point.

No disrepect meant. Just how I see it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you don't want a neighbor to build on the lot you'd probably better buy the lot.

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$30,000 for 1.7 acres seems a little high unless it been approved as a building lot. But picture dirtbag neighbors right there and it may be more appealing.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
A local realtor can answer your questions. I think you probably have a good bargaining chip but if you are planning on staying there and you were happy with the original price I wouldn't let it get away.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My family never bought the lot next door because when we looked into it, we were told it was too small to build on.

Then magically one day, it wasn't.

I guess the right people got paid.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You are buying it as a buffer. Who cares?
Try to get a touch of a discount if not 30k for no direct neighbors. You should be able to Have the lots combined and if you ever sell it you have a house on 3.7 acres to sell and that septic issue won’t matter.

I was ready to shell out 60k for a 1/2 acre for no direct neighbors in a subdivision.
You’re in the mountains of NC where I wish I lived there and just may someday. I’d own that in a heartbeat regardless of the septic issue.

Sounds like a great place to build a nice garage/shop/out building.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25448 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I know of a house that got built on a bad lot. Sewage was either sitting at the surface or running onto neighboring property. It was like that for many years with a few attempts to fix.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
1.7 acres? How many places was the perc test done? I've seen a 1 acre lot that had the test fail in 3 corners and the 4th corner was fine (just the way the clay/sand veins ran).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your new neighbors. Hope you are up hill from them.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
If you are buying it just as a buffer why would it matter if it had to have a more expensive septic system? If you had a contingency clause for the perc test in your original offer, suggest a discount, if not pay him and be done with it.

The land isn’t as valuable if it requires an alternate septic system is the way I see it. That said, if you’ve got the money and really don’t want someone that close then get to negotiating.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here an aerobic system would add about $2000 to the cost on new construction. I don't see that bothering many potential buyers. IMHO.

Tommy

Posts: 141 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My advice is to buy it, get your buffer, you'll be glad you did. Keep it as a separate lot and you can always list it if you need to.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd get back in there with an adjusted offer. I would hate myself for missing the opportunity to lock in privacy. That's an intangible value IMO that you can't put a price on.

Also I'd hate myself not only during the construction period with my peace and quiet disturbed all day every day for months but to forever have my killer view on that magnificent parcel ruined with a house in the middle of it.

It's a small price to pay over the course of years. Once you let it get away, it may as well be gone forever.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I would push for a discount and buy the land considering it's directly in front of your house. Do that, and never have to worry about neighbors. Plus, you can use the land for a garage, shooting range, etc.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We no longer bought our home and 10 acres adjoining our land came up for sale. If it sold we would most assuredly had neighbors and my pistol range would have been shut down.

Despite the fact we could ill afford it we bought it anyway. NOW , 25+ years later. The amount we paid is laughable. And we are one of the only original homes here with out one or two neighbors adjoining our property.

I recall the day we agreed to buy as one of the few truly smart moves I made in my life.

Imagine hillbillies moving a trailer next to you...With dirtbikes, stray dogs, abandoned cars etc.

BUY it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post