SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gila Bend Arizona- Places to stay for 6-10 weeks for work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gila Bend Arizona- Places to stay for 6-10 weeks for work Login/Join 
posted
Good Afternoon
I hope this email finds all of our forum members safe and well both mentally and physically

I am posting this topic to see if any of our members can provide any information on the area near Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range also formerly known as Luke Air Force Range,.

I have been given a 6- 10 week opportunity to work as a sweeper with UXO teams clearing the bombing range. I am looking forward to this opportunity since it will be my foot in the door working civilian UXO. Plus I can work on getting in shape and loosing these ammo cans.

The job will entail walking anywhere from 6-10 miles a day over every type of terrain imaginable.

I am searching for information on places to stay whether it be a hotel, Air BNB, corporate suites etc..

The company provided a list of hotels in Gila Bend, AZ but they also sent a helpful hint notation that Eloy is about 30 minutes to the job site and they have reasonably priced BNBs, hotels, etc.

I was also wondering if Yuma would be a viable choice.

I am in pickle because I was just notified today of this opportunity and the start date is March 03 2021.

I have to get a physcial/urine screen (They would not accept my Army physical from last month), the car checked out, clothes, etc.

I think the biggest concern is trying to find a pair of comfortable shoes/boots. I have about 16 pairs of military, LE, and work boots that are either worn out, too small or just do not fit right due to my weird feet.

Also does anyone know what the best cell service provider is out there?

Thanks for all of your help.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I can't answer your question directly, but I have a little knowledge of it. I have Verizon and it has always worked well in the Phoenix Bypass.

Gila Bend is the corner, or mid-point, of the Phoenix Bypass from the Tucson area on I-10 to Palm Springs/Los Angeles. It lets you stay out of the Phoenix Metromess, the bypass is Casa Grande to Gila Bend to Buckeye. Both ends have huge signs on the Interstate telling you this is the Phoenix Bypass.

There's not much at Gila Bend. Tiny population and very minimal services. The reason I know about is I drive this about 3 times a year to/from OKC to Palm Springs and OKC to San Diego.

It's a great wintering spot with an RV, lots of free to minimal cost on Federal BLM Land. I've looked all over the Buckeye area to buy a winter home, as well as other areas south of Tucson. I'm 20 months from retirement and I will not spend my winters where I live now.

Buckeye is a heckuva lot closer than Yuma, but Yuma does have a military base if you can use/need those facilities. Marine Air Corps Base. What does your company say about Buckeye? Buckeye is a really nice town, I think.

I hope this helps a little. You'll definitely love the weather. Best wishes to you.

EDIT to add: I just googled the Barry Goldwater Range. It's huge! Almost 2 Million Acres! Will you be working over the entire range, from end to end? That might change where you need to stay. Now I realize why the Marines have their Air Base there, on the Western End.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Oh my... Where to begin?

Gila Bend is a very very small town - mostly a truck stop along I-8, at the route (AZ85) south to the border that cuts through the range. Most of the accommodations I have seen are the old motels along the highway. There is really not much there... Casa Grande would have better accommodations and services. Another option would be Buckeye - west of Phoenix, or Ajo to the south. Yuma is an option, just farther.

The range is very large (like the size of Massachusetts) and starting in March will be getting toasty during the day. Bring water, sunscreen and a hat. Then bring more water.

I've been to Range 2 once as a guest and got to see the kids from DM and Luke do strafing runs in their A-10's and F-16's. It was amazing, but you really feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. Look at 32°31'48.15"N, 112°58'27.58"W for where I was for example.

Still, it's pretty neat country and you will probably have an experience you won't forget!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch. Talk about middle of no where!
My son was at MCAS Yuma for awhile. That might be the closest full service town for you. Nice hotels, good restaurants. You could hit San Diego from there as well. There is a nice county run range there as well. Rifles out to 1300yds.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Gila Bend is a good 30 miles from Buckeye. There's one road there (SR-85) and it's much improved in the last 10 years. There is absolutely nothing on that road between Buckeye and Gila Bend other than a prison. Yuma is about 130 miles past Gila Bend and also with almost nothing in between on I-8 other than gas stations and Dateland (famous date milkshakes). That is barren desert terrain with not much to do. Looks like Mars out there.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Can't help but 27 years ago I almost started working with the UXO companies when I got out of the AF, I am assuming you are EOD. I ended up getting a job in the chemical plants so I got out of all the traveling. Good luck.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think you may have a better few months in Yuma rather than Gila Bend

literally, its a truck stop in the middle of nowhere

Posts: 53191 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not want to stay in Eloy. Casa Grand offers marginally better, and Buckeye would be a better choice.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Gila Bend is the Breezewood, PA of the Sonoran Desert.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
...6- 10 weeks...

For your own sanity, don't plan on staying in Gila Bend for the entire contract!!!

In Gila Bend is the Best Western "Space Age Lodge" that was built in the 60's. I only stayed there one night in 1992 when I needed to sleep on a trip from TX back home to San Diego and didn't think I would make it to Yuma. The place is filled with autographed pictures of early Nasa Astronauts. I expect it was built to support the training and testing NASA conducted in AZ.

MCAS Yuma has this available, but it covers the Western section of the Range they control. Not knowing where you will be working, sharing just so you have it as it contains good info and important phone numbers (Border Patrol, County Sheriff, Search & Rescue):
www.MCASyuma.Marines.mil/Portals/152/Docs/Range/Range%20Guide-Map.pdf

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
...with almost nothing in between on I-8 other than gas stations and Dateland (famous date milkshakes)...

Their Date Milkshake is actually much better than it sounds!

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow. Just wow...

This says it all right here.
I read this to the other half and she busted out laughing.

Both of us has spent way too much time in Breezewood over the years running back and forth from DC/MD to Ohio....

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
quote:
...with almost nothing in between on I-8 other than gas stations and Dateland (famous date milkshakes)...

Their Date Milkshake is actually much better than it sounds!

It's so sweet, I don't really taste any hint of a date. But I saw it on Anthony Bourdain's show, so I had to stop and try it. I pass by there on every trip to/from San Diego and Yuma. BTW, Yuma blows too. But I could handle it for a short stint over Gila Bend.

posted Hide Post
I suggest stay at Gila Bend. Sophia's Mexican Food at west end is great, just don't mind the hole in the wall ambience.

Once in the desert, drink plenty of water and watch out for Rattlesnakes.

Just thank goodness you're NOT in that area in July or August.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In addition to the Space Age lodge, the other memorable hotel we've seen driving through GB is the Stout's Hotel. It looks grand, but has seen better days:
Stout's Hotel Officially Historic Place

Maybe rent an RV?

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Seriously, get a pair of gaiters to wear on your lower legs. (Rattlesnakes)

Snakeproof gaiters

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Breezewood has a Bob Evans and a Pizza Hut. What's not to like?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Pizza Hut.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

That's more than Gila Bend has.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everyone else has covered it except for the dinosaurs at the gas station on the west end of town. No idea what your schedule is, but I would seriously consider looking at staying Phoenix or Yuma and having a motel room crash pad for the days that you need to be working there.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post