SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting a new knee in a couple hours… ** 1 week post op update page 2**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting a new knee in a couple hours… ** 1 week post op update page 2** Login/Join 
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Good to see your recovering and it sounds like you’re probably on track. I can see you need to work on a little patience….don't push it too hard and end up taking steps backwards…listen to your doc and PT! Good luck!!

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patience? Yeah, I heard that a LOT from my PT. We agreed early on that I severly lacked patience, but believe it or not, they really know what they're talking about. I did 6 weeks of PT prior to surgery and another 6 weeks after, starting with 3 times a week, then doing twice a week for the last 2 weeks with exercises 2-3 times a day at home. Range of motion was good from the start, but I kept at it to get to 126 degrees when released from PT.

Use the ice/cool water machine as much as you can stand it, I kept mine on whenever I was lying down even all night the first 2 . weeks. That came from my surgeon and his PA, the PT techs thought that was crazy but the PA confirmed it for them. First day at PT (2 days after surgery)
the PT Doc took away my walker and said I could use a cane after showing him how I walked.

Oxy didn't work for me so after about 3 days, I switched to tylenol and that seemed to work as well as the oxy for me, anyway. Had sleep issues for several weeks, woke up about every 2 hours or so. Not pain related, just woke up, rolled around for a while and went back to sleep. That got better after a while, thought 5 hours in a row was wonderful.

I know being off work is tough, but I'm uniform LE and my doc wouldn't release me for 12 weeks. Bonus there was a new dog and she learned to walk me several times a day. We got up to about 3-5 miles a day toward d the time of my medical release. We're still trying to keep that up as it's good for both of us.

Good luck with the rehab and PT. Some days it will suck but the hard work is worth it. I had my doubts and still working on that patience thing, but it made me a believer.

Posts: 59 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I typically see patients at 2 weeks post op, and if they are at 5-95 in range of motion I find that typical. If you really have full extension and 95 of flexion at a sleek you are definitely ahead of the curve.
Ice is great, follow PT guidance, and you will be fine. Getting to your maximal improvement IS NOT A RACE slow and steady wins

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I was looking you up yesterday looking for an update, Glad you're on the mend and I was hoping it was a more comfortable recovery than you reported.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post