SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spanish Mackerel Recipe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spanish Mackerel Recipe? Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
We caught a metric shit ton (grandpas favorite unit of measurement)of Spanish this week.

Just filleted and froze in bags to get them home, didnt vacuum pack them, but got most of the air out of the bags.
Should keep a couple weeks, going to cook them up soon.
Ate a few for lunch last couple days, broiled with olive oil/lemon slices and a little seasoning.

Local fish truck guy/commercial fisherman said to filet them off the skin and bread and fry them.
He said if I'd bring him 10 fillets, he keeps three for payment and cooks the rest, wish I'd known that earlier. We're leaving Emerald Isle in the morning.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Mackerel grills up nicely and goes well with strong/acidic/salty flavors like garlic, tomatoes, olives, capers etc.

You could make up a tomato/olive salsa with lots of garlic and olive oil and spoon over grilled mackerel and it would be amazing.

Here’s a similar idea:

https://www.foodandwine.com/re...n-caper-tomato-salsa

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Light lining mullet for Spanish Mackerel is one of my favorite methods of fishing.

Typically we grill the fillets with lemon and seasoning. Occasionally, we'll bread (egg/cornmeal), then fry. Mmmmmm!

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the skin off......it makes them fishy......you want a lemon, oregano, garlic, olive oil, saute or marinaide on them.......greek style.....cuts the oiliness

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
The famous A,.J. McClane's recipe is pretty good.
Slather the fillets with Miracle Whip (I use plain Mayo) and sprinkle with cracked fennel seeds.
Broil until done.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've marinated King Mackerel, Tuna and Mahi in italian dressing before grilling. Delicious.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Filet, remove the skin, and remove the midline-that's where the strong oily taste is. We marinate them in zesty Italian and grill on a fish grate at 350 for about 3-4 minutes per side. They are OK deep fried in Uncle Bucks fish rub but we prefer them grilled.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So I’ll start off with I don’t care for cooked fish that much.

I won’t eat mackerel. It’s wayyyyyy too fishy. But Mrs. Cooker loves it. This is the way she cooks it.

Take fish, gutted and slice three or four lines through the skin from belly to backbone. Not too deep in the flesh, about 25% through.

You don’t want the fish wet, but it can’t be dry. Slightly damp. Dredge in corn starch. Lots of corn starch. Should have a thin layer covering all the skin.

Fry in a pan with oil. Comes out with a crispy potato chip like skin, and flakey, moist meat.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4028 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoke it and make fish dip, I’ll dig around for the recipe I used last time ....

Posts: 1703 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post