SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about thumbnails......not computer related, thumb related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about thumbnails......not computer related, thumb related Login/Join 
posted
My thumbnail has a ridge running down it from some long ago forgotten damage. That ridge develops into an open crack near the end of the nail. This open crack is there no matter how short I trim the nail. It doesn’t stay level either, so one side is always snagging on something.

I have tried different methods of filing and cutting with no luck. I’ve tried super glue only to make a failed mess.

Anyone have any guidance or tips?

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
IF your nail has an eruption that lasts more than 4 weeks, see a doctor...

Or some cute asian gal to give you a manicure,

See a doc to see if you have some infection under the nail or what possible solution exists...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Get the gel and powder nail builder wimminz use to build up nails. (it's similar to superglue with acrylic powder)

You clean up the nail edge and buff the nail with a fine grit emery board, then apply the liquid and then sprinkle powder, repeat until the nail end is built up, then file and buff.

It should last a few weeks, then you do it again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Put a fake one on it until it grows out properly

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Are your other nails like that? That could be a nutrient deficiency. If just the one you might have an infection in the nail bed.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have been told that a Vitamin E cream, applied to the nail and rubbed in to the cuticle area where the nail originates will help with this.

Monkey's method works, too.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I’ll try sigmonkey’s idea or maybe HRK’s idea with the cute manicurist.

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Talk to your doctor about a prescription for Spiranolactone.

I had split fingernails, never could get that to stop, until one day I was in my Doctors office for a routine visit. He noticed my fingernails, showed me his, he had the same issue, only worse, and told me about Spiranolactone.

He gave me a script and told me to try it and let him know. It worked!

If you are already taking a water pill such as HCTZ, you'll have to stop taking that. Doc explained to me that Spiranolactone is also a water pill, but something in Spiranolactone helps the nails. You can't take HCTZ and Spiranolactone at the same time.

EDIT to add: I just checked GoodRx, (a site I highly recommend to save on prescription costs) and the over the counter price is $7 to $9 bucks.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have ridges that will split also. All my nails. I did allot of damage to them through out life. I true the toughasnails that stuff burned, and the edges were first to wear off and the split would start.
I don't drink allot of water. I think that may be the problem

https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/s...ctone/brittle-nails/

This stuff makes you pee more.
Thus worse dehydration.
Maybe it's the more water that was consumed by the above.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you start taking drugs or seeing a manicurist, book an appointment with a dermatologist. You can tell a lot about a person's health from looking at fingernails.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You can tell a lot about a person's health from looking at fingernails.

Anything like hairy knuckles?

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post