SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tundra took a flying tire to the grill ** updated 4/26/18 new truck pg2 **
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tundra took a flying tire to the grill ** updated 4/26/18 new truck pg2 ** Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok. Good luck with the new truck shopping.
I'm doing the opposite & looking to get out of my F150 & back into a car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
As others have said, the mileage is what will get you. But in TX the total loss threshold is 100% of the vehicle value. So the damages will have to reach that before they total it.

This, my car got $12k in hail damage last year and car was worth $13k at the time. they fixed it....

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
That will buff right out!

Hey, glad you are ok, that could have been tragic. Go buy a lottery ticket!

Hopefully they lock up that other driver and you can get him or his estate/assets to pay your insurance bills!

If you had been driving here in Houston that would have been either a ladder, a mattress, a shovel or a bed liner, seen them all on our freeways.... Its like a video game around here sometimes.

HK Ag

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
As others have said, the total loss threshold in Texas is 100% of the vehicle's value.

Ballpark value of your truck, even taking into consideration the mileage, is about $10k.
(Autotrader will give you a realistic value of what it's worth.)

Based on my experience, I don't see $10k worth of repairs, so I think your insurance company will end up repairing it.

Glad you're ok!

Posts: 12550 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you are very lucky - saw an accident like that once where the tire continued to take out the windshield and killed the person in the passenger seat

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Wow. Glad you're safe. That could have been me. I commute between Buda and San Marcos everyday. I doubt my little Corolla would have fared that well.

Posts: 2060 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I bet it costs more than $4K to fix that. But not $10K, so I doubt it is totalled.

Glad you weren't hurt.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
That truck may not be totaled. Around here it would still get approx 12-14k.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda surprised it didn't pop an airbag.

Posts: 4011 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok. 35 seems to be more risky each day. I travel to Buda and SM frequently from home in Wimberley. Buttocks have clinched several times on 35.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I'm kinda surprised it didn't pop an airbag.

Airbags deployment is decided by an accelerometer, so it's not so much the force of the impact that dictates deployment, but the rapid deceleration.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a call Tuesday morning from the insurance adjuster- said the truck was indeed totaled. He said the damage he could see without prying inside was over 9000. He then floored me, said my payout was going to be 12,141.xx!!
I was more than happy with that, actually expecting about 4-5 grand less.

Anyway, tonight the wife and I found a replacement- another Tundra, TSS Crewmax 4x4 5.7 magnetic metallic. It is quite a bit more truck than my 07 double cab. It was late when we got home, I'll post pics tomorrow. Nothing against Ford, I just couldn't ignore the fact that the Tundra held it's value so well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MRBTX,

Posts: 3649 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the new truck shopping.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wooooo! Looking forward to pix.

Still loving my '13 Double Cab.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tundras hold their value well here in the Yoop. I would guess it will get fixed.
And this could have easily snuffed you out. A good friend of mine was killed on I-70 when a large piece of metal penetrated his windshield and struck him. Never did find out where the scrap metal came from.
Your luck held out on this adventure! And kudos for staying calm and riding this out. Someone less skilled would have panicked and taken out those around him in an effort to avoid the tire.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Got a call Tuesday morning from the insurance adjuster- said the truck was indeed totaled. He said the damage he could see without prying inside was over 9000. He then floored me, said my payout was going to be 12,141.xx!!

Anyway, tonight the wife and I found a replacement- another Tundra, TSS Crewmax 4x4 5.7 magnetic metallic. It is quite a bit more truck than my 07 double cab. It was late when we got home, I'll post pics tomorrow. Nothing against Ford, I just couldn't ignore the fact that the Tundra held it's value so well.

Which insurance company?

Been thinking of shopping around again.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:

You might want to see what the settlement would be if you kept the salvage, and sold it yourself. I did that with my Rover when a tree fell on it and totaled it, and made good money doing it. Someone with the skills could fix that truck pretty easily and cheaply.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Salvage value would probably be a few thousand.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I went from a DOuble Cab with the smaller engine to the Crewmax with the 5.7 and I have no doubt you'll love the new truck. The back seat is crazy roomy.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post