SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    From the "You can find ANYTHING on the Web" files - Carpentry Department
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From the "You can find ANYTHING on the Web" files - Carpentry Department Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I built a footbridge to cross the ditch next to the house probably 25 years ago. It's showing it's age and Mrs. PHPaul wants me to build a new one.

I'm going to build a variation on this one:

Main differences are that it will be longer (16 feet) and I'll use pressure treated lumber.

To get the arch in the base, I'm going to layer at 2x4 on top of the 2x6 stringer and cut an arc in it from 0 at the ends to the full 3-1/2 inches at the center. Scratching my head trying to figure out how to lay out the arc as it's too big the use the ol' "nail, string and pencil" technique.

A little surfing got me to blocklayer.com and they have a calculator where you can plug in the length and height at the center and they will print out the height at any spacing you desire - ie, 0 at the end, 13/16ths at 1 foot, 1-17/32nds at 2 feet, etc.

I'll do a little rounding on the 32nds and it's gonna get cut freehand using multiple straight lines so it won't be perfect but it'll be plenty close enough for a footbridge.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool project, be sure to post pics.

As far as your arced lumber problem, I'm pretty sure the Lowe's closest to me has all the bowed boards you would need in stock to knock that out Wink

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scratching my head trying to figure out how to lay out the arc

Just head on down to the local Menards or Lowe's...mine always seem to have an excellent selection of curved lumber...the trick will just be finding the gradient you're looking for. Me, I'm usually looking for "straight", and I typically end up having to dig halfway down into the stack before I find any of those Big Grin.

ETA: MattW beat me to it, lol

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Hah! I should've thought of that. Deep Homo has plenty of pre-bent lumber too. Big Grin

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Do you think a 2x6 is strong enough for 16 feet? That 2x4 on top will not add any strength.I would go with a least a 2x10 and maybe a 2x12.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Do you think a 2x6 is strong enough for 16 feet? That 2x4 on top will not add any strength.I would go with a least a 2x10 and maybe a 2x12.

Normally, for a load-supporting header, I'd agree - rule of thumb is 1 inch of depth per foot of span.

It's a foot bridge that'll be 4 feet wide with 3 stringers. If it feels bouncy, I'll "T" another 2x4 on the bottom to make an L-girder.

Edit to add another thought - I think the uprights and double side rails will also act as a sort of suspension bridge type of bracing. Pretty sure it'll be fine.

posted Hide Post
Just a thought, but you could put a nail in each bottom corner, and one in the middle at 3-1/2 inches use them to form long piece of small diameter pvc or pex to make the curve template.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
Just a thought, but you could put a nail in each bottom corner, and one in the middle at 3-1/2 inches use them to form long piece of small diameter pvc or pex to make the curve template.

That'd likely work. Not sure I could find a piece of PVC 16 feet long and suspect a 16' piece of PEX wouldn't give me a consistent curve. I'll keep that in mind for other projects.

Did a sample layout on one 2x4 using the technique described in the OP and it looks pretty good. Probably cut that and use it for a pattern for the other two.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
redwood bridges

I think this is where I got a bridge. Easy to assemble, solid.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Hah! I should've thought of that. Deep Homo has plenty of pre-bent lumber too. Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was in Home Depot this afternoon, I'm building a potting bench and need a little more lumber.

Good gosh, it's crap. Lumber is more crooked, twisted, bent, cracked up and around in every direction and warped than the california politicians.

I dug through a whole stack of 1x4's and it's junk. Just junk.

I think I'll look for someone tearing down an old house. I want the old lumber. That's something very much worth recycling.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any lumberyards where they let you select the wood?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Got a good start on the new bridge today. Got the stringers cut and assembled. The layout technique from blocklayer.com worked very well. My old Makita worm drive had no problem following the slight curve. The 2x4 is screwed to the 2x6 on both ends and fish-plated in the middle.

The sod was removed and the ground leveled for the "abutments" which are 2x2 concrete pads, 2" thick. Only about 12 feet of the 16 foot bridge will be unsupported.

The stringers are installed and blocked and a couple of the decking boards nailed on just to keep things square.

I'll work on the decking tomorrow. So dang hot I get a couple of hours in the morning and a couple more in the evening before I poop out. Bulled through the heat until noon-ish today, had to take a shower before I could take a nap...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Posts and railings installed. Bowing the 2x4's to match the arch of the deck was MUCH easier than I feared. Placed the center in the middle post dado, put a screw in to hold it, put one end in and screwed it and then just leaned on the other end until it popped into place. Occasionally, being a fatass has it's advantages...

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I was envisioning all sorts of ropes and pulleys and jacks and shit to get them in place.

All that's left is to put the stiles on the railings. Roughly 100 of them. Pre-drilled and screwed to the 2x4's. Job for another day. I can pre-drill them in the relative comfort of my shop and then screw them on in the cooler part of the day tomorrow. Or whenever.

After the treated lumber has a chance to weather and dry out a bit, I'll stain it to keep things from drying out TOO much and cracking. Especially the post caps.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow Paul. That looks outstanding! When I see projects like this, there are times I wish my backyard was more than 800 sq/ft.

Great job! Looks awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Finished product. Caught a nice breeze this afternoon and was able to finish up.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun project - Well done!

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey that looks nice, well done!

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Bravo! You very artfully concealed the drawbridge mechanism. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post