SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tractor resale in this current sales climate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tractor resale in this current sales climate Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
A couple years ago I did some landscaping around my home. In order to help me with the work I bought a new Kubota BX 23 tractor with a front bucket and a backhoe, a Kubota 60" mower deck, a Land Pride fork lift, a post hole digger, and an assortment of other smaller attachments.I also bought a new 10,000# trailer. I currently have about 160 hours on the tractor and not even 300 miles on the trailer.I store the tractor in my garage.
I live in Chicago and despite having a large lot for Chicago I certainly don't have acreage.Since my landscaping work ended I use the tractor for snow removal and lawn cutting.

It think I want to sell the Tractor and all the attachments and trailer. I had thought of calling the Dealer in Indiana that I bought it all from and asking what he might offer me for it all or in pieces. I Dread having to deal with Craigs list people for selling everything. I also thought that early Spring might be a good time to sell it all.

What do you think the market is right now for used tractors and attachments?
Do you feel I should try the dealer or will I just get insulted with a low price?
Any other good options for selling?

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Given current inventory issues, the dealer MIGHT treat you right.

Worth a call at least.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15270 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
That BX 23 was built what? around 2005 for a couple of years. That is a pre-regen tractor and used tractors like that are going for premium bucks right now. The dealer may treat you right but I doubt he would match what an anxious private party buyer would give.

I sell tons of stuff, including vehicles on Craigslist and have never had a problem. But that would be your call of course.

Thats a nice tractor....you will have no problem selling it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5049 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
TractorHouse.com is where I go when I'm looking for tractor and implement prices. I've found what I needed in the local area by using this website. It certainly beats Craigslist.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Above comments are accurate. This is the prime time of the year for selling that type of equipment. I would go up on "Tractorhouse" and research how comparable units are priced to get an idea what others are asking. The low hours on your unit are certainly desirable especially if the unit is clean and sharp looking. I would think dealing with a private party would net you some extra money. It's just up to you as to how important that is to you. I hate to leave money on the table. Marketplace on Facebook is another good spot to advertise for free. I put a little John Deere lawnmower up there for sale last Spring and got about 15 responses. Sold it as fast as the guy could drive over.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now is the time to sell.
A dealer won't pay you what you'll see on craigslist or the tractor auction sites (they sell on there...) but they will be the easiest way to get a check in your hand & the tractor out of the garage. The market is high, your value is low (not using it). It doesn't sound like you really need every penny you can get for it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you also get a value estimate from Iron Solutions. They will give you a normalized value (adjusted for your tractor’s actual hours, features)for your geographic region. TractorHouse values are based on auction prices which are the lowest numbers out there.

Posts: 995 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My gut feeling is that you can probably get what you paid out of it.

Inflation, supply and demand, all that jazz.

Posts: 26937 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Www.machinerypete.com

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yes it's peak selling time for tractors now.
Anymore I get better results on Facebook Marketplace where you at least can see some history of the person. I joined Facebook a few years back just for that purpose and sold a Kubota L2501 last year and bought a motorcycle earlier this year. But Craigslist has worked well for me over the years as well.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice.
I don't participate in Facebook so I will explore the other sales outlets suggested.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think most of the answer is above. But I would say that in terms of history (can't forecast the future) there has never been a better environment to sell a low hour used name brand tractor.
If you don't want to deal with people just call the 2 or 3 local Kubota dealers and you will get a decent price. Which really you need to do anyway to get a sense of the floor for any personal selling you want to do. But if you sell it yourself you obviously have price upside but have to deal with a zillion morons.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11014 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I think because of the value of your tractor you will be attracting a better clientele on Craigslist than if you were selling a 20 yo Buick for example. You’ll get a couple stupid scam texts. Laugh it off and don’t reply. Your buyer is out there looking.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post