SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our dependency on China for manufactured goods and raw materials is about to let a lot of apathetic people see how badly it can hurt us
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our dependency on China for manufactured goods and raw materials is about to let a lot of apathetic people see how badly it can hurt us Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Since I have the thread about the electric snowblower I thought I would offer my thoughts on this:

I agree. Just today I was challenging my students to google "lithium mining" and see where it leads? How long will it last? What happens when we run out?

Yes, coal and oil are finite resources as well. But total dependence on China for lithium?

Were screwed.

But sometimes finding an alternative for USA is not realistic. Even the Kohler Carb I bought for my John Deere was not made in Korea or Japan, it was made in China. This is what my John Deere dealership sold me for $300. I can buy the same china made carb on Amazon for $28.

Factor in silicon manufacturing for CPUs and Memory? Almost none are made anywhere else. We farmed most of this out to Asia and shut the American plants down 30 years ago.
The semiconductor manufacturer here in DFW I worked for appears to be doing quite well. There is huge construction of new facilities going on at one of the sites.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Factor in silicon manufacturing for CPUs and Memory? Almost none are made anywhere else. We farmed most of this out to Asia and shut the American plants down 30 years ago.
The semiconductor manufacturer here in DFW I worked for appears to be doing quite well. There is huge construction of new facilities going on at one of the sites.

As I've pointed-out here before: Motorola Mobility Moto-series phones, except for the very bottom-line model, the Moto E, were made here in the U.S. too. And they were profitable for Motorola. Then Google. Then Google sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, a Chinese firm.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I, owned, operated, and eventually sold a contract manufacturing firm. It was very hard for many years, we found most of our business was entirely based on industry/markets that could not risk Chinese quality and well...dishonest business practices. Medical (implant/device), Aerospace, and Defense.

Every other market we got leads in, was entirely focused on price first, second, and third. Quality, cooperation and so on. was not even on their radar. Some would come back and sign on with us, after being burned...but the penny wise/pound foolish were always first to decide.

Hopefully your right. There is an enormous potential here to build EVERYTHING, we need. The idea that we don't have the capital or the people to do it...is ridiculous. Potential quality and craftsmanship is a reputation we can huild and harness and leverage for international export.
I recall some of our customers demanding US/German sourced materials, which was redundant since we never bought pac asia materials anyway...they just wanted to leave no doubt they were going to get a good product and reliable results.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad thing is we are losing and not adding the people needed to manufacture here - good luck finding a machinist or tool & die maker.
God forbid there is a war because we cannot make anything once we run out of what we have from guns, ammmo, planes, equipment, medicine you name it.
Side note where are the billion N95 masks Joe is giving us coming from??

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Any idea where the billions of covid tests kits that your hospital,clinic, doctor, drive through, drug store, etc are using come from. And you are being forced to have them jammed up your face. I can think of little that is worse. The billions of masks being used are made there as well. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, you buy fewer things and of higher quality, because we don't need even half the shit we buy.

AMEM!!! No truer words have ever been spoken!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post