SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Record number of U.S. workers quit their jobs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Record number of U.S. workers quit their jobs Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Most are aware that there is high unemployment and a record number of jobs unfilled and a shortage of workers..but now we have a record number of workers quitting their jobs.

It's worth noting that while President Biden's vaccine mandate was not in place during the same time frame as these workers quitting their jobs, there was a push by some employers for one, with others implementing one, and if nothing else, there was certainly talk about potential vaccine mandates.

However, I believe the mandates are only part of the explanation, that it's more complicated than that, but would like to hear your thoughts.

Record numbers of U.S. workers refusing to work, and record numbers of them quitting their jobs...what say you?

-------------------------------

Record 4.3 million Americans quit their jobs in August

By Kenneth Garger
October 12, 2021
updated 11:35 p.m.

Americans quit their jobs at a record clip in August, a new government report said Tuesday, with restaurant and hotel workers leading the mass exodus.

A whopping 4.3 million people quit two months ago, the most on record dating back to December 2000 — and 300,000 more than in July, according to the Labor Department report.

The August quits are the equivalent of 3 percent of the US workforce.

Hiring in August also plunged sharply — down to 6.3 million from 6.8 million in July — despite the number of available jobs remaining near record high levels.

In the past year, open jobs have increased 62 percent, though available jobs did fall to 10.4 million in August, from a record high of 11.1 million in July.

Quits in August at restaurants, bars and hotels jumped 21 percent compared to the previous month for a total of 900,000.

And August saw a 6 percent jump in retail workers leaving their jobs.

In industries such as manufacturing, construction, and transportation and warehousing, quits barely increased.

In professional and business services, which includes fields such as law, engineering, and architecture, where most employees can work from home, quitting was largely flat.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people want to continue working at home and not go back to offices. Some people are getting better jobs made available by remote work and quitting the job they have. Some don't want to get vaccine from employer mandates. Some are tired of being understaffed and having to work a lot of overtime. Some do not want to have to deal enforcing mask use or vaccine proof from customers.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
An acquaintance of mine told me of a guy they hired away from McDonald's making $14 hr. They were paying him $18hr at this new job. But after a few weeks he told them he was quitting. When asked why, he told them he didn't mind not having the extra money. But he would rather only work 3 days a week and have more free time to do whatever he wanted.
Some of these millennials have learned to live on little to no income while getting government handouts and are fine. It reminded me of what Klaus Schwab said. "You’ll own nothing” — And “you’ll be happy about it."!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's called laziness. Zero work ethic also fits the bill. And many of them have clueless parents who continue to support them.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
Some of these millennials have learned to live on little to no income while getting government handouts and are fine. It reminded me of what Klaus Schwab said. "You’ll own nothing” — And “you’ll be happy about it."!
Yeah? Sounds great. Just wait until you get older, and then the tiny five watt light bulb above your head may begin to fizzle to life. Get used to being miserable, because you're going to have all of it you can handle, and then some.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Yeah? Sounds great. Just wait until you get older, and then the tiny five watt light bulb above your head may begin to fizzle to life. Get used to being miserable, because you're going to have all of it you can handle, and then some.

I kid you not; They’ve all bought white travel vans… Just like the one in the news. This is the new bug out bag to the yutes.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sure, but how many of these quit their current job in order to take a better job?

Stating "X number of people quit this month" doesn't take into account what they did after quitting, like rolling directly into a different job.

Due to the large number of current unfilled positions and employer desperation, this is a great time for employees to take advantage of their increased leverage in order to snag a different job with better pay/benefits/location/etc.

I can't fault them for that. That's not laziness. It's not like they're quitting to collect handouts from Uncle Sugar and pursue their dream of being a DJ or underwater basket weaver... Rather, that's potentially a smart career move.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Sure, but how many of these quit their current job in order to take a better job?

Stating "X number of people quit this month" doesn't take into account what they did after quitting, like rolling directly into a different job.

That's a fair point, and one that I considered. No doubt you are right and a number of them have upgraded to a better job, but I'm not sure that covers the bulk of the "quits". If it were true I would think the unemployment and jobs created numbers would reflect that.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This will be the great worker “reset”.Workers leaving jobs they don’t like and finding one better.yes there always be the lazy ones sitting on the couch,they would do that if offered 50 dollars an hour.This reset will go on for years and will be a big challenge for businesses and other employers. This is the time to give raises to the workers instead of big bonuses to the Excex’s etc.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:

Due to the large number of current unfilled positions and employer desperation, this is a great time for employees to take advantage of their increased leverage in order to snag a different job with better pay/benefits/location/etc.

I can't fault them for that. That's not laziness. It's not like they're quitting to collect handouts from Uncle Sugar and pursue their dream of being a DJ or underwater basket weaver... Rather, that's potentially a smart career move.

If that were the case why are the new job numbers still shit? The unemployment numbers are down because the number of people that want to actually work stopped being counted.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We own a pet store. We are short staffed and can’t find workers. We pay well, have great benefits and it doesn’t matter. We’ve lost an entire demographic.

For 8 years we have run our business with 3 full timers and 6-10 part timers drawn from our local college. We have 4 part timers that have been with us since pre-Covid. Most are in the $15 per hour range. We were forced to do that to keep them.

The restaurants and bars are where these folks have gone for work. Most in town are offering $15 an hour for no experience, with signing bonuses.

The college students as an employment pool have vanished.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
This will be the great worker “reset”.Workers leaving jobs they don’t like and finding one better.yes there always be the lazy ones sitting on the couch,they would do that if offered 50 dollars an hour. This reset will go on for years and will be a big challenge for businesses and other employers. This is the time to give raises to the workers instead of big bonuses to the Excex’s etc.

That's the hopeful way of looking at it. The pendulum has swung too far in favor of the top 1%. People will hold out for a better deal. I think there's something to that. We're all looking to improve our lot in life.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
That's a fair point, and one that I considered. No doubt you are right and a number of them have upgraded to a better job, but I'm not sure that covers the bulk of the "quits". If it were true I would think the unemployment and jobs created numbers would reflect that.

quote:
If that were the case why are the new job numbers still shit?

If I quit my job today and start a new job for twice as much tomorrow, that's +1 to the number of "quitters", but a net zero change to these other metrics (job openings/unemployment/etc.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
This will be the great worker “reset”.Workers leaving jobs they don’t like and finding one better.yes there always be the lazy ones sitting on the couch,they would do that if offered 50 dollars an hour.This reset will go on for years and will be a big challenge for businesses and other employers. This is the time to give raises to the workers instead of big bonuses to the Excex’s etc.

You just made me laugh. Big bonuses to Execs will only increase - they never decrease.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

I kid you not; They’ve all bought white travel vans… Just like the one in the news. This is the new bug out bag to the yutes.

the high cost of purchasing a home makes it pretty tough for the first time buyer, Probably why you see so many converting vans. check this one out she lives on the road makes videos and lives off followers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2aPiAW_Gk

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friends of my wife's kid is 24. He graduated BU with a Bachelors in History 2 years ago. (great move kid)

He is working at a Hospital as a Security Guard 24 hours week. He makes $16 hour He loves the job because he works Fri, Sat, Sun and is a Ski bum - so he has weekdays on the slopes which are cheaper and far less busy. He recently had an opportunity to move to full time at $19 hour. He turned it down because we are just weeks away from Ski season here in NH and he has a big season planned. Roll Eyes

(he lives with his Mom)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
A friend of my wife's kid is 24. He graduated BU with a Bachelors in History 2 years ago. (great move kid)

He is working at a Hospital as a Security Guard 24 hours week. He makes $16 hour and loves the job because he works Fri, Sat, Sun and is a Ski bum - so he has weekdays on the slopes which are cheaper and far less busy. He recently had an opportunity to move to full time at $19 hour. He turned it down because we are just weeks away from Ski season here in NH and he has a big season planned. Roll Eyes

(he lives with his Mom)

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A lot who moved to a new job had put off the change for 1 1/2 years. This was my situation.

I know several that changed jobs in the middle of this mess only to be laid off from the new job a short time later.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that were the case why are the new job numbers still shit? The unemployment numbers are down because the number of people that want to actually work stopped being counted.

Quit one job to find another - the number of "quits" goes up by one while the number of "employed" doesn't change. Couldn't find the article I read before myself, but that seemed to be the author's theory.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wondered a little about this point earlier today.

Two of my direct reports quit this summer -- one to go back to school, the other joining the Marines (Corp of Cadets grad, good kid). How do those get counted? The first, I suppose, is completely outside the work force now. The second... I don't know how his job change gets counted.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post