SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawsuit brought against Daniel Defense
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawsuit brought against Daniel Defense Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
To collect, the workers need to prove that they 1) tried to get new jobs and 2) were unable to find work.

I'm not an expert in this area of law, but if they didn't seek to mitigate their damages, I don't see how DD is on the hook. If they meet those two things and DD did in fact violate the act, then they are on the hook.

Is it a dick move by DD? Not IMO. It's business, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure they didn't do it just for kicks.

As an aside, in 90% of case when I'm given two weeks notice from an employee, I let the employee go immediately. It's a rare case where I want that person in my building. it's just bad business.

Most everyone I know who runs a business does it the same way.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
To collect, the workers need to prove that they 1) tried to get new jobs and 2) were unable to find work.

I'm not an expert in this area of law, but if they didn't seek to mitigate their damages, I don't see how DD is on the hook.

The claim under the WARN act is statutory damages for failing to give required notice. Employee doesn't have to mitigate damages. It's not an unemployment claim.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is kind of a dick move, but as a manager, would you want a bunch of people around who were afraid they were about to be laid off? Some will become extra diligent to try to be kept on, some will stay about the same, some will turn into slackers, and some will actively sabotage.

I've orchestrated a couple of mass layoffs under California's WARN act. The concerns you raise are the concerns that management often raises.

Assuming you are required to give notice, there are a few ways to address the concerns.

1. Put everyone on notice, not just the people that are going to be fired. Those that want to kept on will be diligent. Those that aren't sure about staying on won't jeopardize unemployment by being terminated for cause. If you have truly key employees that you can't let leave, you approach them individually and revoke their notice letter while at the same time having them sign confidentiality agreements.

2. Offer severances to people who want to tap out early. 2 weeks pay if they leave by the end of the week. Those that stay on past the end of the week can tap out at any time, but won't receive a severance. This gets rid of most of the "Fuck this job, I'm outta here" crowd. The truly pissed will take the severance, the others will stay on until they line up a new job. Make sure severances come with claims waivers.

3. Let employees know that the company is actively looking to terminate employees for cause, which would affect their unemployment eligibility. Sabotaging or slacking off would be grounds for termination with cause. Make sure employees understand that they don't want to lose the unemployment safety net, and also be fired for slacking off, in a job market with 500 other perfectly qualified candidates out there.

4) Don't be a dick. Help your employees. Bring in recruiters. Hold workshops to help them with their resumes. Sit down, one-on-one with employees, ask about how they're doing and how you can help. Offer recommendation letters. Let your employees know that the company is doing its best, and if somewhere within the 60 days things turn around, then you'll be able to save more jobs. In the end, you'll have a better sense of which employees you want to keep and which ones you really need to let go--and you'll have fewer disgruntled employees because at least they felt that you cared.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not if they fall under the The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act of 1988 (the "WARN Act") In this case it looks like DD does.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I really believe that there's gotta be some tactical reason that DD didn't give a WARN notice. It's really easy to comply with, and a company that size must have had an HR person that must have known about the WARN act.

It could be that they were bidding on a large contract or negotiating a merger or something...

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The very nature of Employer-Employee relationships is broken in a great many cases, and truckloads of shit is talked about loyalty, family, spirit, and the like, and it rarely ever materializes beyond superficial nonsense at the end of the day. I don't know how to solve it, mind you, nor am I suggesting a legislative solution, but a heaping helping of truth would be refreshing.

Like, if the 40hr week is truly a myth, and you intend to have your people work more than that for the same salary, say it clearly, up front, in the job posting and in the company motto. Flaunt your cheap bastard status, and let people make more informed decisions. And if no one is getting a raise in the next two years, say loud, say it proudly, chickenshit...

As it stands, a great many companies live in these ambiguities entirely intentionally, and they hide the news from Bob that he'll be let go next month just to squeeze that last ounce of perceived productivity out of someone because they're too greedy or afraid to simply be honest, much less give Bob and his family adequate time to make other arrangements.

It's the antithesis of family, loyalty, and the like. So at least be honest if that's you/your Co. Apply some Golden Rule, people. I've had to walk around with such knowledge many times as a manager in Corporate America, it's shameful. As a business owner I've chosen to behave differently.

Where do you fall on the Leader --> Boss scale?

Where do you sit on a spectrum of - are your Employees more like Slaves or more like Partners?

Be honest, with yourself and others, at the very least.

The majority of those I've ever met are much much suited and inclined to be *just short* of slave drivers than anything remotely resembling partnerships or (cough) "family', and I've little doubt many would fully whip employees and not pay them at all if they thought they could get away with it.

Freedom is ugly, and difficult, sometimes. And while Capitalism and a Free Market are better than the alternatives, it does bring out the worst in some folks, in the pursuit of money above all else.

I avoid these pitfalls most of the time by asking these sorts of questions anytime I'm interviewed, but even then many folks just lie about it. I wish that would stop. I wish the jerks would flaunt it, proudly and loudly, but wishes don't amount to anything. (shrug)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The very nature of Employer-Employee relationships is broken in a great many cases, and truckloads of shit is talked about loyalty, family, spirit, and the like, and it rarely ever materializes beyond superficial nonsense at the end of the day. I don't know how to solve it, mind you, nor am I suggesting a legislative solution, but a heaping helping of truth would be refreshing.

Like, if the 40hr week is truly a myth, and you intend to have your people work more than that for the same salary, say it clearly, up front, in the job posting and in the company motto. Flaunt your cheap bastard status, and let people make more informed decisions. And if no one is getting a raise in the next two years, say loud, say it proudly, chickenshit...

As it stands, a great many companies live in these ambiguities entirely intentionally, and they hide the news from Bob that he'll be let go next month just to squeeze that last ounce of perceived productivity out of someone because they're too greedy or afraid to simply be honest, much less give Bob and his family adequate time to make other arrangements.

It's the antithesis of family, loyalty, and the like. So at least be honest if that's you/your Co. Apply some Golden Rule, people. I've had to walk around with such knowledge many times as a manager in Corporate America, it's shameful. As a business owner I've chosen to behave differently.

Where do you fall on the Leader --> Boss scale?

Where do you sit on a spectrum of - are your Employees more like Slaves or more like Partners?

Be honest, with yourself and others, at the very least.

The majority of those I've ever met are much much suited and inclined to be *just short* of slave drivers than anything remotely resembling partnerships or (cough) "family', and I've little doubt many would fully whip employees and not pay them at all if they thought they could get away with it.

Freedom is ugly, and difficult, sometimes. And while Capitalism and a Free Market are better than the alternatives, it does bring out the worst in some folks, in the pursuit of money above all else.

I avoid these pitfalls most of the time by asking these sorts of questions anytime I'm interviewed, but even then many folks just lie about it. I wish that would stop. I wish the jerks would flaunt it, proudly and loudly, but wishes don't amount to anything. (shrug)

What business do you run?

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I really believe that there's gotta be some tactical reason that DD didn't give a WARN notice. It's really easy to comply with, and a company that size must have had an HR person that must have known about the WARN act.

It could be that they were bidding on a large contract or negotiating a merger or something...

Being a machinist by trade i've worked in many shops over the years generally 200 to 2200 people. Some shops hire HR people right out of college because they work much cheaper than say one with 10 or 15 years experience. Some of these people with little experience do not know about this kind of stuff. I've seen it two times over the years. Like you said It's really easy to comply with.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not an expert in this area of law, but if they didn't seek to mitigate their damages, I don't see how DD is on the hook.

The claim under the WARN act is statutory damages for failing to give required notice. Employee doesn't have to mitigate damages. It's not an unemployment claim.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for the correction.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've orchestrated a couple of mass layoffs under California's WARN act. They concerns you raise are the concerns that management often raises.

Assuming you are required to give notice, there are a few ways to address the concerns.

1. Put everyone on notice, not just the people that are going to be fired. Those that want to kept on will be diligent. Those that aren't sure about staying on won't jeopardize unemployment by being terminated for cause. If you have truly key employees that you can't let leave, you approach them individually and revoke their notice letter while at the same time having them sign confidentiality agreements.

2. Offer severances to people who want to tap out early. 2 weeks pay if they leave by the end of the week. Those that stay on past the end of the week can tap out at any time, but won't receive a severance. This gets rid of most of the "Fuck this job, I'm outta here" crowd. The truly pissed will take the severance, the others will stay on until they line up a new job. Make sure severances come with claims waivers.

3. Let employees know that the company is actively looking to terminate employees for cause, which would affect their unemployment eligibility. Sabotaging or slacking off would be grounds for termination with cause. Make sure employees understand that they don't want to lose the unemployment safety net, and also be fired for slacking off, in a job market with 500 other perfectly qualified candidates out there.

4) Don't be a dick. Help your employees. Bring in recruiters. Hold workshops to help them with their resumes. Sit down, one-on-one with employees, ask about how they're doing and how you can help. Offer recommendation letters. Let your employees know that the company is doing its best, and if somewhere within the 60 days things turn around, then you'll be able to save more jobs. In the end, you'll have a better sense of which employees you want to keep and which ones you really need to let go--and you'll have fewer disgruntled employees because at least they felt that you cared.

I understand that there are ways to mitigate the potential problems. But being the free-market libertarian that I am, I ask why is this the state's business? It is business - an employment relationship. This is not a function the state should be performing. It is illegitimate on a philosophical basis.

And how much does it really help to get the notice? Really. I bet it is mostly feel good legislation, as it just moves the date everyone starts looking for new work backwards.

I know why it passes - there are a lot more employee voters than owner voters. But that doesn't make it a good idea.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

Today, none that are relevant, I've gone back to solo self-employed Consulting - largely due to such things and also due to a stroke of luck regarding subject matter expertise some need from me, but over the years my and our businesses have been in the IT, Oil&Gas (landmen and rights/royalties acquisitions), and Entertainment (studios, labels, record stores, and more) sectors, with anywhere from a few to 100+ employees and 1+ locations, and I was raised in a franchised Food Service business with as many as 60+ locations. In any case - beyond a stint in Corporate Consulting including the giant firms, I've spent my entire life around and in running businesses, whether personally, or with partners/family.

You're in construction, IIRC, formerly law? Is that right?

In any case, why do you ask?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Today, none that are relevant, I've gone back to solo self-employed Consulting - largely due to such things and also due to a stroke of luck regarding subject matter expertise some need from me, but over the years my and our businesses have been in the IT, Oil&Gas (landmen and rights/royalties acquisitions), and Entertainment (studios, labels, record stores, and more) sectors, with anywhere from a few to 100+ employees and 1+ locations, and I was raised in a franchised Food Service business with as many as 60+ locations. In any case - beyond a stint in Corporate Consulting including the giant firms, I've spent my entire life around and in running businesses, whether personally, or with partners/family.

You're in construction, IIRC, formerly law? Is that right?

In any case, why do you ask?

Correct. I was curious because I didn't agree with a whole lot of what you said.

It would appear our experiences in business are different and thus our views are different.

posted Hide Post
I guess I am just a dick. Fortunately I am a dick who does not have enough employees to fall under this retarded law. Not because I want to lay everyone off, I hate to let people go, I need as many good people as I can find, but because I don't want big brother any more up my ass than he is already. At some point not very far in the future the regulations and taxes will become so burdensome that it will not be worth my time to run a company. I hope there is some sucker willing to pick up the slack when I retire to a beach, oh wait, I am a dick so I guess I will not be that worried at all.

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post