SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Jose gunowners fee and insurance law
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Jose gunowners fee and insurance law Login/Join 
posted
San Jose, California, is getting closer to adopting a first-in-the-nation law to address gun violence by requiring all gun owners to pay a fee and carry liability insurance

https://www.azfamily.com/news/...2b-771affa4d98d.html

Sounds a lot like a poll tax to me

Posts: 809 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It's not well thought out and will run up against the 2cnd amendment at some point.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6040080384

once enacted, it'll be taken to courts and it'll be knocked-down, can't tax a right.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

once enacted, it'll be taken to courts and it'll be knocked-down, can't tax a right.

What warnings they received when it was first proposed apparently didn't faze them. Nothing like blind stupidity

Posts: 809 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pass it, have it stopped in court, one more idea squashed,

As much as it pains some folks, fund the organizations that take these folks on in your state they are counting on nobody challenging or getting one by...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Quite the opposite. The want to push to negate the 2A, and know they have friends in the federal district and circuit courts. This could well survive unless and until it hits the SCOTUS.

quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

What warnings they received when it was first proposed apparently didn't faze them. Nothing like blind stupidity

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
San Jose, California...
At least it's not in the United States.

Posts: 109166 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Again how does this affect any criminals?

If you catch a criminal with a gun not registered to him; does he have to pay back taxes?

Always targeting the wrong people...

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wish california would stop punishing the wrong people. Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Silly wabbit, to some people, all gun owners are criminals, Big Grin

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Quite the opposite. The want to push to negate the 2A, and know they have friends in the federal district and circuit courts. This could well survive unless and until it hits the SCOTUS.

This is so extreme that I think they will not have ANY friends on this when it goes before a court, just FYI judges HATE to be overruled in public. I doubt that will stop San Jose trying though. And if your analysis is, if fact, correct I really don't think they are going to like how SCOTUS rules.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Until politicians face serious financial or even criminal penalties for doing schit they know violates the Const., expect this to continue.

Posts: 3693 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Schadenfreude

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Oh my, how things have changed since the 80's. It seems like only last week that I entered Reed's Sporting Goods on Alum Rock Blvd in San Jose and purchased my first gun ever. a S&W L-Frame.

Now the Reed's building burnt to the ground and they are taxing guns.

The city has always had a bit of an anti-gun element. Anyone recall Chief McNamara and his battles with pro 2A cop LeRoy Pyle? We're talking late 80's here.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in San Jose and my parents still live there along with many many friends. Since this was floated Everyone I know there has been like yeah good luck enforcing it. The city has been told they will be sued and proceeded anyway. If I was still a taxpayer in that city I’d be really pissed. They have huge budget problems. The PD is way under staffed and they will get slapped down and likely forced to pay not only their own legal fees but the legal fees of the 2A group that does the legal slapping.

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Oh my, how things have changed since the 80's. It seems like only last week that I entered Reed's Sporting Goods on Alum Rock Blvd in San Jose and purchased my first gun ever. a S&W L-Frame.

The city has always had a bit of an anti-gun element. Anyone recall Chief McNamara and his battles with pro 2A cop LeRoy Pyle? We're talking late 80's here.

McNamara was a clown. didn’t he want to have the force armed with .22’s ?
My folks went to high school with the Reeds as well as the Sheldon’s who owned the hobby shop on alum rock. My grandparents lived off Alum Rock for 70 years. I bought several guns as well as scouts, fishing, and bike gear at Reeds. Their annual ammo sale was legendary

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I was born and raised in San Jose and my parents still live there along with many many friends. Since this was floated Everyone I know there has been like yeah good luck enforcing it. The city has been told they will be sued and proceeded anyway. If I was still a taxpayer in that city I’d be really pissed. They have huge budget problems. The PD is way under staffed and they will get slapped down and likely forced to pay not only their own legal fees but the legal fees of the 2A group that does the legal slapping.

That's the problem though. Californians have failed to stop the idiocy in their state, and then it leaks out. Meanwhile another generation grows up in that state thinking this is normal. The jerks in kommiefornia are normalizing communism, have been for years, and the weak-boned people who live there are part of the problem. When you don't fight wrongs, regardless of whether they directly affect you or not, regardless if they are unenforceable or not, you effectively endorse and condone them. Evil triumphs because "good" people do nothing. An ineffective something is as good as doing nothing. Slapping lawsuits that fail to prevent the insanity may as well be nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

McNamara was a clown. didn’t he want to have the force armed with .22’s ?
My folks went to high school with the Reeds as well as the Sheldon’s who owned the hobby shop on alum rock. My grandparents lived off Alum Rock for 70 years. I bought several guns as well as scouts, fishing, and bike gear at Reeds. Their annual ammo sale was legendary

Not to drift the thread too much, but did you know that Mr Reed of Reed's Sporting Goods is the great grandson of James Reed of the Donner Party?

Well Documented in several places, So it's not just a wives tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_F._Reed

End of drift... I just had to toss that in ---- I bought my very first gun from the great grandson of a member of the Donner Party.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely. Too bad the city hadn't enacted a law requiring all knife owners carry an insurance policy and pay a knife fee. Otherwise, the stabbing victims would have recourse.

Criminal removes himself from the consequences of stabbing three in San Jose

A person suspected of stabbing three people in San Jose early Wednesday morning was killed on Highway 85, police said.

The stabbings took place just after 2 a.m. Wednesday on Tehama Avenue, the San Jose Police Department said via Twitter. The adult victims were hospitalized for non-life-threatening injuries.

Less than three hours later, at about 4:42 a.m., California Highway Patrol officers responded to a report that a person was killed after a motorist struck the individual — shutting down the northbound lane of Highway 85 by the De Anza Boulevard exit. The person was later confirmed by San Jose police to be the stabbing suspect.

The lane was closed at 5:16 a.m., and KRON reported that the lane reopened at about 8 a.m.

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:

If you catch a criminal with a gun not registered to him; does he have to pay back taxes?

Always targeting the wrong people...

They even admit that it won’t stop criminals.

If this actually goes through, I imagine it will be immediately blocked in court and overturned when the trial actually comes. It’s a tax on a constitutional right, no different than a poll tax.

Posts: 3417 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post