SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What would you have done?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you have done? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So I stopped at QT tonight to fill up the truck. Last day of school for the district here and the parking lot has become the gathering spot for the high school kids.

At the other end on the opposite side of the island, middle aged guy pulls up in his Escalade, swipes his card, inserts the nozzle, starts the flow of fuel and then walks inside the store while the pump is running. A Jeep with 4 kids in it sees this, pulls up behind me, grabs the nozzle out of the Escalade, proceed to fill up their Jeep, put the nozzle back in the Escalade and drive off.

I finished, walked towards the store to get a couple of things as the guy with the Escalade comes out. I told him what happened and said I had the license plate number and vehicle description if he wanted to follow up on it. He then gets pissy with me and yells, "Why the fuck didn't you stop them?"

I asked, "Why didn't you stay with your vehicle?"

I left him in the parking lot yelling at me, went inside, got my stuff and exited to go back out to my vehicle. I left and he was still at the island, sitting in his Escalade, yelling at someone on his cell phone. Never did ask me for the plate number or vehicle description.

Sorry, I'm not getting into a confrontation that was instigated by someone else's irresponsibility over something as minor as a tank of gas.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
The pumps got one of them big red OFF buttons for when the place catches fire? Whooops *CLICK*

That would also be one of those fun things to record on video, send it to the local news, or put it up on the YouTube.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17006 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get gas elsewhere.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Seems like a small price to pay for that lesson learned. Of course his reaction indicates that it was everyone's fault but his. So maybe not.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37997 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I would have shot their tires out and pistol whipped the little snots, then put them under citizens arrest.

What the heck did he expect you to do? No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
My take...
  • I wouldn't have told him anything.
  • I would have dropped the trigger on his nozzle while I was fueling. He can fuel up when he returned.
  • I'd likely find a better place to fuel up.
There is simply no point in involving yourself in this sort of stuff, as you found out the hard way.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
He then gets pissy with me and yells, "Why the fuck didn't you stop them?"

I have no legal duty to intervene on your behalf.

However, I have information that will assist in criminal prosecution and recovery of damages. Take it or leave it.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
He earned that one.

You were nicer than you had to be.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Why the fuck didn't you stop them?"

ME- "Because it's not my problem."

Some people you just can't help w/o getting into an argument.
I had a young lady ring up my "buy one, get one 50% off" sandwiches but as if the second was free, in my favor, to the extent I only paid for the $8 and the $10 one was free. I did the right thing by pointing it out. She tried to explain that taxes don't show up for the whole order. Roll Eyes I gave up shortly after.

I'll do my part to help but I'm not going to sit and argue w/ someone after a certain point. I took my free smoked chicken, shrimp and andouille saw-sage sammich and went on my way.

Posts: 7372 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4988 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I was reading your post and kept visualizing that scene from Zoolander.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I might have done what you did, I might have said nothing and laughed knowingly to myself. Depends on how I felt that day. What a prick.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Guys like that help with my job security. I'm in environmental consulting that specifically deals with gas stations and USTs. More times than not, the auto shutoff doesn't work.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
More times than not, the auto shutoff doesn't work.

Wow, really?

ETA: thought I read emergency shutoff.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30425 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
i wouldnt second guess my decision and move on. Good on ya for gettin the plates.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
i wouldnt second guess my decision and move on. Good on ya for gettin the plates.

Yep

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would I have done in your shoes, or if I were you?

In your shoes, I would have done the same thing that you did. Unfortunately, respect for authority and life is so far gone these days, intervening could have possibly got you jumped by a pack of punks over a tank of gas. Even if you handle yourself well, it's still a losing situation.

If I were actually YOU, I'd maybe have my daughter deflate their tires with her bow and arrows! Smile (I keed, I keed!)

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
You did exactly what you I would have done, minus the bother of even telling him.

1) I am no longer surprised when I read a headlines saying, "man fatally shot after confronting kids for stealing gas"

2) My first reaction as I was reading the story is that the scenerio sounded like one of the NBC "What would you do?" Set ups. I have no interest in participating in anything like that.

To add - That's pretty ballsy of the kids who stole the gas. I'm guessing this was not the first time they had done this. Hell, those Escolades hold a lot of gas, the driver likely never would have even noticed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12345 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
....because I'm not willing to shoot someone for stealing fuel. I will shoot someone for yelling at me though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a jerk. (him not you...)

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post