SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bike Advice Needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bike Advice Needed Login/Join 
posted
So, in AZ our asshole excuse for a Governor is playing games with our gyms.fitness centers and I am losing hope daily of being able to get back to my regular workout routine anytime soon.

Decided that maybe a bike might help as walking is way to boring and I need something I can do with some level of intensity.

That said, I know there are some avid cyclists on here so I figured i would ask before i went out looking.

I used to have a decent road and mountain bike but that was years ago and I am heavier/older now and as much as I would love a really nice bike I need to be honest about how much and what I need vs want.

Goals are general fitness riding on paved bile paths and mild dirt trails.

I am a big guy weight wise (I've lost 80lbs in past year but still have a long way to go)

Want to keep it cheap but also dont want something I am going to wat to upgrade in 6 mos.

Ideas? Advice?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
When I was in my teens, I was an avid bicycle rider. My legs were HUGE. (You'd never know it now!) Two years ago, I started learning about e bikes, and I purchased one. It turned out to be everything I had hoped for.

Some people mistakenly think that because they come equipped with an electric motor, the experience is like a motorcycle. It most certainly is NOT. You MUST pedal and make a physical effort - otherwise, you will only get 10 to 15 miles out of a charge, and you'll crawl along at a snail's pace.

If you want a work out, but you find no pleasure at all in climbing steep hills, an e bike is for you.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10707 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bikes improve and change over time. I would start by checking the local bike shops in person.

Definitely would go with a mtn bike due to your weight. Also go with disc brakes, a big safety improvement for rainy weather. Also look for low gears, which will be needed until your weight drops.

-c1steve

Posts: 4056 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just upgraded my bike this year.
Trek's and Specialized are crazy expensive.

Got a Giant Talon mountain bike. 29 inch tires, disc brakes, for under 800.
Bike Smith in Prescott if you come up this way.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Probably a good idea to have a budget, these things go from $100 at wal-mart to $$$$$ bikes.

Posts: 23484 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Do you still have a road bike? If so, investigate an indoor "Smart Trainer" that can be hooked up to Zwift on an iPad or your TV.

Here's a Zwift demonstration:

And you can check out Zwift's website...

Zwift

If you're in the market for a bicycle, I've heard there are literally NONE to be found, unless you want to spend a couple of thou$and...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Probably a good idea to have a budget, these things go from $100 at wal-mart to $$$$$ bikes.

Good call...I am thinking $400 - $600 range

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
The problem you might experience is that it's hard to find any bike right now. The run on bikes is as bad or worse than on firearms, at least around here. I imagine it's nation wide.
I was recently at a local shop and he basically has nothing to sell, a few kids bikes, a few E-bikes, that's basically it. He has 800 bikes on back order. I didn't ask but I suspect the category in highest demand is the $350-$750 range.
You might want to check Ebay or Craigslist for used bikes, but I'm sure everyone else is too.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You'll have to jump through a lot of hoops to buy a bicycle right now. Everyone is doing the same as you so the bikes are gone. Racks are empty. If you can decide on which make/model you'll have to place an order most likely and wait for it to fill. I've seen it Academy myself and a friend is big into MTB and is trying to get his girlfriend a MTB and they don't have the model they want anywhere. It's crazy.

Home gym equipment is the same. You can buy it but you won't get it for months. My gym is open but I'm tired of the clowns in there with no gym etiquette so I researched and picked out a home gym, adjustable dumbbells, stationary bike, hyperextension bench, all sold out.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
If your budget is $400-$600, be prepared to wait. The gyms might be open by the time you are able to purchase your bicycle. If you were writing this on April 4th, you might be ok, but on August 4th, you are way too late.

The run on bicycles, of all types and price points, is unprecedented in the industry. Even $2,000-$3,000 bikes are hard to find. Every shop looks like they are at the end of a going out of business sale.

Check your local shops, you might get lucky, but be prepared to be disappointed.

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, Mountainside Fitness (my gym) won it’s case against Ducey and they will Be allowed to re-open.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

Trek Verve is right in that price range. However...

quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
The problem you might experience is that it's hard to find any bike right now. The run on bikes is as bad or worse than on firearms, at least around here. I imagine it's nation wide.
I was recently at a local shop and he basically has nothing to sell, a few kids bikes, a few E-bikes, that's basically it. He has 800 bikes on back order. I didn't ask but I suspect the category in highest demand is the $350-$750 range.
You might want to check Ebay or Craigslist for used bikes, but I'm sure everyone else is too.

That's the problem I've been running into.

I've been searching for a Trek road bike in the $3500 range and all the shops here are sold out and even ordering it would have a wait until December. I didn't think at that price would be in such high demand. They do have them but for the really tall people.

I'm trying to take advantage of their 12 month financing special. Trying to get a century ride in this year but don't want to do it on my hybrid (which I'll be keeping).

Saw a lady on FB marketplace trying to sell a $99 Walmart Huffy for $450 and she was roasted for even trying it.

Posts: 13129 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Sent you an e-mail.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
OP, Mountainside Fitness (my gym) won it’s case against Ducey and they will Be allowed to re-open.

Just made my day...Ducey is a complete asshole and deserves to be curb stomped

Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
A quick look over at bikesdirect.com confirmed what everyone has been saying. SOLDOUT!!!!

That said, a used bike would be the way to go. There are a lot of kept in the garage for 10 years out there. Just need to find one off of a craigslist etc. try to verify it is not stolen.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
BikesDirect.com has a few bikes in stock but many of their sales at the moment are preorders for September, October, and beyond. I think they hit the credit card at order, too, rather than waiting for shipping (that was the note when I was looking at one a couple of weeks ago). We purchased our daughter a really nice mountain bike from them a few years ago. She loves the bike and has put a lot of miles on it and we had a good experience with that sale but I’m not lending them money on my credit card for several months.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Next door neighbor just drove 5.5 hours to Denver to pick up a new Specialized Roubaix $$$$.
Said most places are either sold out or have a meager at best selection available. Hence the road trip.

Me? Still have my 1991 Bridgestone CB-0 (Zip) on a Minoura rimdrive trainer. Smile

Lots of old school goodies like the Scott AT4 Pro handlebar, Gorilla rear brake "beefer", Specialized toe clips with Christophe leather straps, Rhode Gear rear view mirror, Avocet Cross kelvar tires, etc.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16226 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I've bought 2 bikes in the last year from TheProsCloset. They are local (Boulder). good, helpful people (mostly).
Trek Domane and KHS gravel bike.

https://www.theproscloset.com/collections/road-bikes

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Kevmo,

One of the ones I was considering at Bikes Direct is the Gravity FSX 1 at $399 shipped (plus tax). They're currently showing those shipping later this month so you'd have it by Labor Day. I confirmed that they do hit the card at order, but this one isn't for months like some of the other options they have.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fsx_1.htm

Here's one more, a Motobecane with some upgrades at the same price shipping in August:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/pro...er_mountainbikes.htm

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

You can find a decent mountain bike for that price. My nephew has been saving up and trying to find one in the $500 range. He has a Specialized one he wants but finding it has been tough.

I was in an REI store today and they normally have lots of bikes. They had some but nowhere near what I normally see. You can still find bikes but may have to do a little extra legwork.

I would look at bike shops or REI and talk to them. Then do your own research. My brother and nephew were in a small local bike shop and they had marked up their bikes by 30% or so. National stores like REI are unlikely to do this but beware of the single shop that may try and take advantage of people right now.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post